Sponsored by:

New Owner Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts
Default New Owner Q's

The following is an excerpt from my post about my overall pickup experience in the "Waiting Room" thread. However posting here in order to get some advice from experienced owners:

I picked up my first 911 yesterday and had a four hour drive home. So my observations after my first four hours driving:

Overall, super favorable. I was moving through the gears quite a bit to vary the rpm's while keeping it under 4k as instructed. I do feel the car has turbo lag, but perhaps I need to keep the rpms up. Certainly if you let the car shift for you in either Normal or Sport, the rpm's stay pretty low and turbo lag is present.

Stereo - I thought I would do the tweeter update from Musicar immediately, but after a nearly 4 hour drive home, I find the Bose adequate. I will likely do the upgrade at some point, but not immediately as I originally thought.

Love the volume button for the stereo. So simple. So effective. Even brand new to the car, the volume falls to hand without having to glance at where it is. Perfectly placed.

PDK shifter is really oversized. Could be 20% smaller. It block access to the air controls - which is annoying. I see why they tried to do something different in the 992 - even if they perhaps went a bit too far.

Love the adjustability of the 14 ways. However no matter where I put the seat/steering wheel, a portion of the dash is obscured. Annoyingly, for me it's the gas gauge that is obscured. I think this is poor placement for the fuel gauge... Annoying.

Very surprisingly, my key fob had a low battery - had a heck of a time locking/unlocking the car. Kind of scary when i couldn't get back in the car after my lunch stop (had forgotten about the physical key that my SA had shown me just two hours prior - but we covered a lot of stuff...) Eventually it opened, but was sporadic. Upon arriving home, changing the battery fixed the issue. Did not get a warning light in the car about a key fob low battery as the manual indicates. Spare key fob worked fine.

Where do you put the sunglasses? I know this car has limited storage space - bu the door side pockets seem like a poor solution for sun glasses - does anyone have a suggestion?

Streaming music from Amazon Music Unlimited - when I was with my SA we preset the little diamond button on the steering well to advance to the next song/station. But once I started driving, I found this doesn't work with Amazon music Unlimited. Or is it that it doesn't work with Bluetooth?

The adjustable display on the dash in front of the driver - the one where you can scroll through - at first it would show me the song that was playing, but after a while it showed the input source - ie. Bluetooth. What's normal here?

AppleCar play - I tried it, but have never used it before. Does it only work if you are hard wired int other USB socket in the compartment between driver and passenger? Not entirely sure I like it better than navigating from my phone in any case - seems laggy.

Streaming music - on my phone it shows the album cover and progress through the song (ie how much time is left in the song). On the car display it only shows the song title - no album cover artwork and no progression through the song - is this normal?

Overall - very happy with the car. Very happy with the choices I made around options. I have the leather interior, SC, PDK, Bose, sport mirrors. No keyless entry, no PSE.

I love the leather interior and am glad I didn't pay for the deviated stitching in color. The black deviated stitching looks great.

The only thing I might do differently would have been to get the keyless entry/start. I didn't realize how bulky the key is and it's a bit more hassle than I expected to fish around for the key in my pocket in order to lock/unlock the car.

PSE - does the car only crackle and burble in Sport if you have the PSE? I wasn't aware of this. Even so, I probably would still not get the PSE - I prefer my cars quiet, and either way, i don't think much of the sounds this car makes - but that's not why i bought it.

Overall very happy. Appreciate any suggestions/comments to my questions above.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:29 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Love those Carrera Sport Wheels
Old 02-03-2019, 03:38 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Looks great. As for sunglasses, I keep mine in their case in the little cutout between the rear seats. It’s an easy reach back to grab them.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:13 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, super happy with wheels

That's a perfect place for the sunglasses - thank you! Would have been a long time (if ever) before i thought to use that space... One issue solved.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Yes, super happy with wheels

That's a perfect place for the sunglasses - thank you! Would have been a long time (if ever) before i thought to use that space... One issue solved.
That's a GREAT idea!!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:41 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I put my sunglasses in a case and put in the door pocket. Fits perfectly....doesn’t look like it will but it does. Of course depends on the size. I have Persols.

Car play only works with the Center console plug in. Not laggy and will show you all the info you want.

Some of the the gauges are going to be obscured by the wheel (always has). I/ you can just adjust the cluster to show the information you want. (Eg range or whatever, I do t even look a the temps/pressure analog gauges and use the screen instead....still like having that analogue look however)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:47 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I put mine on one of those rubbery sticky pads on the dash.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:24 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

I've had mine for 11 days.

As to turbo lag (mine is an S), the acceleration is really over the top with the manual, as long as I was over 2k and not in higher ears, it would settle the rear and go. No noticeable lag. Kept it under 4k (900 mi to go for the run-in to be over). Max torque is available from 1.7k up.

Ordered the Bose as well and it sounds just fine, It will be left alone.

Didn't stream music but did play around with some of the abundant sound settings. The Sirius Radio sounds much better than in my Merc SUV where the sat music sounds muddied.

I also have the 14-way and found them quite good.

Display settings can be changed to suit your desired choices, I sat in the car with the manual and went through each choice (hooked up my battery tender to keep the battery charged while I did this) till I was satisfied.

Apple Car Play, as stated, only works through the center USB, the option to use Waze to navigate is very useful as it gives you real-time information on road hazards and traffic enforcement activities (radar, stoplight cameras), comes in handy. Once Car Play was connected, it worked fine. Used some of the Porsche apps, gas prices for one, and it had outdated information (Mobil Station was actually a Union 76), cropped up on my second try at using the app.

Left my interior mostly alone, but added aluminum trim and stainless steel sill plates. Optioned the Sport Package which included PSE, SC, RAS, Sport Mirrors, GT steering wheel (with controls): I love the PSE with my manual and sounds great. I usually run in Sport or Individual and use the LOUD setting as default with the windows down in cooler temps, the manual transmission seems to accentuate the exhaust overrun sound more than the PDKs I have driven. And I do love the mechanical sounds that it makes. I have quiet cars for when I want that.

Biggest issue I've faced is that I don't want to use the car for very short trips as the oil temps take time to come up (I set the gauge read-outs as my default display on the dash and oil at the top), it's very difficult not to jump in and go. I may relent a bit once the run-in is complete and I've changed the oil and filter at that point.

Sounds that you have a 911 to suit your desires, enjoy it in good health!

PS: I ordered the Carrera wheels as well, they came shod with Michelins (Pirellis seem not to be liked by some of the forum posters), luck of the draw.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

AppleCar play - I tried it, but have never used it before. Does it only work if you are hard wired int other USB socket in the compartment between driver and passenger? Not entirely sure I like it better than navigating from my phone in any case - seems laggy.
yes, Apple CarPlay on any vehicle must be plugged in. Android Auto is the same. I also use Amazon Streaming and there are some quirks to know... the first is that if you search a keyword and start playing the artist, only the songs displayed will play. You have to hit “show all” to run through all of them. This is on Amazon and their app interrface is really pretty horrible. Dark mode and font size/color makes for a challenging app to use while you are driving. I don’t have an issue with it being laggy, and I agree that using the CarPlay interface is far better than the app.

I like the Bose system but I have not had the opportunity to take the Burmester system for a spin. Everyone says it is amazing. I’m not much of an audiophile so I probably wouldn’t appreciate it.

Sunglasses. Side pocket keeps them snug but the center console works just fine.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
I put my sunglasses in a case and put in the door pocket. Fits perfectly....doesn’t look like it will but it does. Of course depends on the size. I have Persols.

Car play only works with the Center console plug in. Not laggy and will show you all the info you want.

Some of the the gauges are going to be obscured by the wheel (always has). I/ you can just adjust the cluster to show the information you want. (Eg range or whatever, I do t even look a the temps/pressure analog gauges and use the screen instead....still like having that analogue look however)
I have Persols as well (model# 58230) and they fit in both of the door pockets - you know there is one that is behind a hinged door that allows it to open a little wider, right?

Pops & crackles in Sport mode only, with PSE. Don't take this the wrong way but there are things that you like that I hate and would never get, or complain about, and probably vice-versa, which makes the car customizable for just about everyone.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yup that’s the one I use. The hinged door pocket....looks like nothing but a toothbrush will fit but surprising my sunglasses and case fit perfectly.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup that’s the one I use. The hinged door pocket....looks like nothing but a toothbrush will fit but surprising my sunglasses and case fit perfectly.
yep, mine fit fine until I try to get them out!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I actually put mine in the forward one since my Rolex 24 can coolie took its spot.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Beautiful car! Congrats!

I put my sunglasses in the center console.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

My sunglasses are stowed perfectly in the lower door pocket along with a cleaning cloth. I used to put them into the bulky Maui Jim case and then into the door pocket. Eventually I realized that the door pocket was exactly like an extra large MJ case so now they go right in there without the extra case.

Quick Reply: New Owner Q's