Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:04 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I feel you pain....it’s pouring here today in SoCal and my garage door spring broke. So my “never seen rain” 911 will need to be pulled out and parked in the rain for a few hours while the garage door gets fixed. Oh well...at least the Rams will win the Super Bowl.

I’ll get over it....the Rams losing if they do.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I feel you pain....it’s pouring here today in SoCal and my garage door spring broke. So my “never seen rain” 911 will need to be pulled out and parked in the rain for a few hours while the garage door gets fixed. Oh well...at least the Rams will win the Super Bowl.

I’ll get over it....the Rams losing if they do.

They should be playing the Chiefs! Go Rams!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by 6flat
I feel sorry for those not driving their cars because, in my opinion, the pleasure derived from driving the car in winter and getting it filthy outweighs letting a high production non-collector car rot in a garage.
No need to feel sorry for those like me, as I feel very fortunate to have an option. I currently have a 2017 C2S with 5,800 miles and I will soon be ordering a new 992. I could drive it anytime I wish.....but I choose to keep it above my DD fleet status of cars. This makes it seem like a new car every time I get into it. Plus, when I get ready to sell it.....it will be the low mileage near perfect 911 garage Queen that all the high mileage/winter daily drivers are looking for when they replace their tired and worn out cars 😏. Feel sorry for those who can’t have a 911 and don’t have an option. I am happy with my choice as should be everyone.....regardless of their decision.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 PM
carman63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't own a 911 (or any Porsche) yet, but when the weather is favorable I amble over to Tysons and drive one of theirs Maybe that's your ticket. Go test drive someone else's. The only bad thing that can come out of it is, you decide to upgrade
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, not many garage queen owners chiming in.

I certainly done consider myself one. I love flogging my cars.

Ice is melting slowly here. I'll
Have her our once the salt washes away some. She's just so damn clean after a full Zaino treatment. The P flag is a reflection.

treatmentName:  photo763.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  968.6 KB.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I'll take the risk. Garage queen here. I drive the hell out of the car from late March to early December. Then it hides during the crappiest time of the year. Salt, sand and some kind of nuclear volcanic rock substance they throw on the streets here does not touch my car.
When it's time to drive it always looks good and runs perfectly. Does that make it a queen? Maybe. But I have had a bunch of Pcars and this one is a long term keeper. Just finished our home in Florida and will drive it there in November so I can drive it in February with the windows down.
I applaud all of you who flog your cars in the dead of winter just not worth it to me.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Took the turbo out today for some top down cruising in February! It was 54 degrees and sunny today. There was quite a but of slop on the roads, and I definitely need a carwash now, but it was worth it!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:37 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

3.5 hours to clean today. Wheels took an hour by themselves. Have PPF on high wear plus CQuartz Pro on full.

Salty.

Suds Bath.

All Clean.

Last edited by phefner; 02-03-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

I DD mine unless there is more than 3-4” of snow. I end up washing it whenever the weather is expected to have at least a few days with no precipitation.

Given that the car is has full ppf and ceramic, I don’t worry much about driving, and it’s a breeze to clean. I rinse it with my CR Spotless system so that I essentially don’t have to dry it. Start to finish is 20-30 minutes. During the winter I’m able to use a hose connected to hot water which definitely helps.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:10 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

I don’t like driving my 911 in inclement weather (well, rain is as inclement as it gets here in SoCal) because 1) I can’t let her rip and 2) other idiot drivers who can’t drive in rain. I totally understand the “keeping it clean” excuse but if you want to take her for a spin, I say just do it! I guarantee you that your Porsche will love you for it. Remember, use it or lose it.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I would say that if you don't mind the bit of salt and pieces of road that will be on the ground, then go for it. I am all for using it as much as possible, that is what you bought it for.

The reason that I did not is simply the cleanliness factor. Last winter, I had just gotten my car in January, so I had to take it to get inspected. I also wanted to take it in to get some service work so I was driving it when there was still a bit of salt on the road. I noticed that even after driving it in the rain over summer and many washes, there was still some salt on the underside. I am not at all concerned about that long term, but I would rather just keep it as clean as possible. This winter, I parked it the day after Thanksgiving and will not take it out until early April when the roads are somewhat clear, which I will take it into the dealer for service. If I took it out now, I would take it out in the morning then spend the afternoon cleaning it, and even in the colder temps it just isnt as pleasant with detailing.

My recommendation: drive it!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by phefner
3.5 hours to clean today. Wheels took an hour by themselves. Have PPF on high wear plus CQuartz Pro on full.

Salty.

Suds Bath.

All Clean.
Your my idol! I guess I don’t like cold hands. Car looks awesome!!!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:46 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

Just drive the car. They race these things on frozen lakes. So, it’ll be fine.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

these porsches certainly become prized possessions, often a symbol of a lifetime of work, saving, success... so it is understandable to coddle them, bathe them, admire them, buff them, all the while with these cars standing still

but these things are well built, well engineered, tough tough tough... on the track scene porsches are so awesome because they drive so well AND they can take an absolute beating with a smile and ask for more... needing nothing more than proper maintenance and management of consumables

sometimes i like to stand there and admire them too, but to me, i have learned the happiest porsche is one screaming at redline, barreling into a curve, steering wheel wriggling...
Old 02-03-2019, 02:26 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
these porsches certainly become prized possessions, often a symbol of a lifetime of work, saving, success... so it is understandable to coddle them, bathe them, admire them, buff them, all the while with these cars standing still

but these things are well built, well engineered, tough tough tough... on the track scene porsches are so awesome because they drive so well AND they can take an absolute beating with a smile and ask for more... needing nothing more than proper maintenance and management of consumables

sometimes i like to stand there and admire them too, but to me, i have learned the happiest porsche is one screaming at redline, barreling into a curve, steering wheel wriggling...
^Perfectly written, on all points.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.