Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:36 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Soon as I get the car, I plan to drive it all winter. On a day with exceptionally high winds, maybe not as I don't want to risk having something blown into the car. Or if it's snowing at the time, or a possibility of snow, I will probably leave the car at home - even with the winter Michelin tires. Although the first time it snows, I will find an empty lot somewhere and see if I can figure out how the car handles snow, just in case I get caught out in it.

Definitely didn't buy this car to have it sit and look pretty.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 6flat
I feel sorry for those that don’t drive their cars, keeping them pristine.

Why do you feel sorry? Because of the choice they made?

We all know how 996s were never loved, especially cabrios.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I live just down the road from you. When the weather gets nicer, my car will be out, even if it is still February!

I just would like to see the roads a little clearer first - we still had a little bit of snow today.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

My goal is always to get at least one day of driving with the top down in every month of the year. Today was a possible candidate, but it didn't work out. I expect to get some behind the wheel this weekend.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:06 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

There is no stigma to using the car in the winter. Either you like the conditions or you don't. I have never bothered with winter tires, and I prefer to wash my own car in my driveway. Neither the summer tires nor washing the car is fun in the Connecticut winter, so I simply choose to keep it under cover for the season. I freakin' hate that, but it works for me. When the roads clear a bit (they are solid white from salt now), and we get something like 50 degrees I will take it out for blast.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:19 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
I think I posted this knowing what answers I would get.
we aim to please
Old 02-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
we aim to please
Old 02-01-2019, 04:55 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

All I can say is that if you do back it out of the garage and it sees it’s shadow, well you are screwed.

Originally Posted by adcampo
As some of you may know, I just got my car last month on December 3rd. It spent 3 weeks at the shop for reasons I won't go in to here. I've cleaned it, polished it, parked it on mats, over filled the tires and have a trickle charge on it. I've done some fun DIY's to keep me entertained. Now I walk past that beauty every day on my way to work.

It's been freezing cold and snowy in Northern VA for the past couple of weeks. However, as weather is in VA, it's supposed to get in to the 60's next week. I'm thinking screw it and drive the damn car on the days I can. In past, w\hen I've gotten new (weekend) cars I usually get them in the spring, enjoy them over the spring, summer and fall and park them when winter comes around.

Should I be disciplined and sit out the winter until March or let er rip?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 PM
6flat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel sorry for those not driving their cars because, in my opinion, the pleasure derived from driving the car in winter and getting it filthy outweighs letting a high production non-collector car rot in a garage.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 6flat
I feel sorry for those that don’t drive their cars, keeping them pristine. My first Porsche was a 2002 911 cab. Never drove it in rain. Would never consider winter driving. Sold it for a big loss with hardly any mileage on it. Car never felt right due to infrequent driving.

I live in the northeast.

My 2018 C4S. Daily driver with snow tires. Car is a bright color but you wouldn’t know because it’s covered in salt. The most fun I have ever had with a 911 is driving this one in cold and snow. Great winter car in addition to warm weather.
For those dealing with rattles and annoying engine issues, daily driven cars seem to be less subject to them. Infrequently driven cars rot as they sit.

When weather gets somewhat warmer I may wash it.
^^this^^

We’re all in a different place with our cars. I bought mine to drive. It’s been a dream since I was 12 and doesn’t disappoint. Coming to grips that it’s going to get paint chips and I am going to put miles on it made ownership much more enjoyable. This car might see the 250-300k milepost.

i have summer and winter wheel/tire sets. Money well spent.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

A car is an object and I’m not emotionally attached to it. I drive it like it was intended to be driven - hard - and I rarely garage it. It just sits in my driveway and I daily drive it to the tune of about 10k miles a year. I have many cars but the GTS is my favorite to drive and I really just love the look of it as well.

Having said that, I respect the fact that other people treat their cars as precious. One of the criticisms of people who are fortunate enough to afford a Porsche is that they don’t respect the value of money. I say the opposite is actually more true, when you do work hard to afford a rather impractical car that costs a lot of money, taking great care of it reflects the owners respect for the hard work that made it possible. If you treat your Porsche as a garage queen and go to great lengths to protect it from elements and the hazards of driving it, I say “well done”.

While I don’t obsess over my GTS and I do park it in my driveway, I also wash it several times a week, polish is 2x a year, keep the interior immaculate and if something isn’t right on the car, it gets fixed pronto. I don’t have a garage queen but I treat my 911 with the same level of respect.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

It's been warmer the last few days, especially today, and the roads mostly dry. So my wife and I broke the 911 out for our weekly dinner date. Great fun. Sunny and in the upper 30s at my house, around 50 on the other side of the mountains. Perfect. Just got home and I'm pretty happy about putting 20+ miles on my Porsche. With a big storm forecast to begin tomorrow through Monday (1-2 feet of snow in the mountains) the timing was perfect. I'll do a rinse-less wash tomorrow afternoon in my garage.
Go for it!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
A car is an object and I’m not emotionally attached to it. I drive it like it was intended to be driven - hard - and I rarely garage it. It just sits in my driveway and I daily drive it to the tune of about 10k miles a year. I have many cars but the GTS is my favorite to drive and I really just love the look of it as well.

Having said that, I respect the fact that other people treat their cars as precious. One of the criticisms of people who are fortunate enough to afford a Porsche is that they don’t respect the value of money. I say the opposite is actually more true, when you do work hard to afford a rather impractical car that costs a lot of money, taking great care of it reflects the owners respect for the hard work that made it possible. If you treat your Porsche as a garage queen and go to great lengths to protect it from elements and the hazards of driving it, I say “well done”.

While I don’t obsess over my GTS and I do park it in my driveway, I also wash it several times a week, polish is 2x a year, keep the interior immaculate and if something isn’t right on the car, it gets fixed pronto. I don’t have a garage queen but I treat my 911 with the same level of respect.

Well said!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
these cars will not break if you drive them in inclement weather... they are made by germans... german winters are not mild

just go easy if you are on summer tires and the temps are low
No, they just corrode and rust.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Drive it all year. I would never take my car out in cold (under 40) weather with summer tires. It’s bad for the tires and they let lose very easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm thinking of bringing her out before spring.