Sponsored by:

Tail light delamination & window rubber seal NOT covered CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Azndavid85
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tail light delamination & window rubber seal NOT covered CPO warranty

I had an appointment yesterday at my local dealer. My car is 2014 c4s and have both taillight delamination and windows rubber seal worn/ripped at the edge. Since my annual service is due, I want them to take care them at the same time.

I was told my original warranty is already gone(oct 2018) but cosmetic and not covered under CPO. I even told them these are known issues and many people on this forum are covered under warranty, but their response was there are too much going on on the forum and lots of stuff their is not true.

I just left there without doing my annual service there. Perhaps trying it on another dealer.

Anyone here had successfully replaced these under CPO?

Are those really not covered by CPO?

Any advice is appreciated

Regards
Old 02-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I had taillights delaminate on my previous 991. It was CPO but at the time I believe it was also within the timeframe of the original warranty. The dealer replaced both taillight reflectors under warranty.

I would try another dealer (especially if you are about to pay for annual service, too!). It's obviously a defect and not a wear item.

If my dealer wouldn't have replaced them under warranty, I was going to let it go (you could hardly see the delamination - I only noticed it up close when I washed the car) until it became really bad, and then perhaps replace with darker tinted OEM taillight reflectors from Suncoast.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:26 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you are going to find out it isnt covered. Even if they do the work, and submit the charge to your warrantee, it would get denied and the man would walk out and tell you, no they wont pay , they say it isnt covered., so you owe us $$$$$
Old 02-01-2019, 04:10 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

My dealer won't cover both of these items, either. I'm just going to let it go. I was thinking of applying a film to the tail lamps to darken them up a bit, and as for the window rubber, mine is at least the passenger side, so I don't notice it much.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

I've never needed to chase this with Porsche, but at least with BMW, when things like this occur, you can reach out to BMWNA Customer Relations and they'll usually make things right under their good will program.

I've had them take care of several out of warranty issues over the years and they've always been fantastic. One of the reasons we keep buying Bimmers.

I'd be surprised if Porsche didn't have a similar program.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Azndavid85
I had an appointment yesterday at my local dealer. My car is 2014 c4s and have both taillight delamination and windows rubber seal worn/ripped at the edge. Since my annual service is due, I want them to take care them at the same time.

I was told my original warranty is already gone(oct 2018) but cosmetic and not covered under CPO. I even told them these are known issues and many people on this forum are covered under warranty, but their response was there are too much going on on the forum and lots of stuff their is not true.

I just left there without doing my annual service there. Perhaps trying it on another dealer.

Regards
Try calling PCNA in Atlanta and speak to one of their reps and explain your situation. They may be helpful.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Pitocin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same thing with my 2012 CPO 991 and headlight delamination. It looked like someone had taken sandpaper to the gray bezel of the headlight and scratched/dulled it all up. I took it to the dealer while the car was still under CPO and the service advisor acknowledged the issue but told me that it wasn’t covered under CPO. I called Porsche NA and basically they told me that they depend on their dealers to verify whether things are covered under warranty so there was nothing they could do. They did send me a gift certificate for my inconvenience (which was $500 - wow wasn’t expecting that much.)

Fast forward a few months I took the car in for something and spoke to the service manager. Thankfully I had a special relationship with him and he was able to get the headlight covers replaced but only because he could spin it as a safety issue (which it wasn’t; it really just was cosmetic). Either way they got them replaced and they looked 100% better.

Bottom line is unless you can get them to do you a big favor, unfortunately you will probably not have much luck getting them replaced.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:32 AM
xford
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Azndavid85

Regards
I had both rear tail lights on my 2014 C2S replaced under warranty/CPO 1 month ago for minor delamination at my local Porsche dealer. I did tell them I heard it was a known issue and there were no questions asked.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:53 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

CPO warranty coverage should be just as comprehensive as the original factory warranty- don't let them give you the excuse that CPO covers differently.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:04 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
CPO warranty coverage should be just as comprehensive as the original factory warranty- don't let them give you the excuse that CPO covers differently.
Warranty details are here; I originally contradicted this point, but stand corrected; it does appear to be as comprehensive and based on reading this, agree the fixes should be covered:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/
Old 02-02-2019, 12:47 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Warranty details are here; I originally contradicted this point, but stand corrected; it does appear to be as comprehensive and based on reading this, agree the fixes should be covered:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/
EDITED. haha- I was getting ready to argue with you but I see you edited your post. Cheers!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

It should be covered if your car is under warranty but your first post indicates that the car is no longer under warranty?

Also - PCA is very responsive to dealer shenanigans... I'd suggest contacting them also as warranty work is ultimately their decision and not the dealer's.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

if you have a dealer who WANTS to cover something they can make it happen. Writing up service issues so they are covered is an art.

You need to find one who is motivated to help. This is exactly when the relationship kicks in.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Dealer is saying that rear tail light delamination is NOT covered under the CPO warranty because it is COSMETIC, not ELECTRICAL. They want $900+ dollars to replace one of the tail lights. This is despite the fact that Suncoast offers the part for $639 and it takes about 5min to swap.

edit: I called PCNA and they said that they stand behind their dealership to make an assessment and when I spoke to John on the phone at PCNA, he said that tail light delamination is part of "normal wear" from "outside influences" and that it's not a covered item. I guess that can be the cop-out for any item that needs to be replaced.

Porsche has been extremely disappointing over the life of the CPO.

Last edited by rff15e; 09-10-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Then buy it yourself from GetPorscheparts.com and install yourself or get an Indy.
Should be covered under your CPO. I know my dealer would work to get it covered.

Quick Reply: Tail light delamination & window rubber seal NOT covered CPO warranty