Valentine Radar Mirror Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Valentine Radar Mirror Install Questions

Hey all,
I am a "noob" to the world of Porsches (so please keep the flame throwers in the off position :-D ), but I am not to the world of cars and building or modifying them.
So I am curious if anyone has installed a V1 using the Radar Mount mirror wire power cord. I know these work very well in Corvettes and BMWs (two of the few cars I have in my stable) and make installation a complete breeze and it is clean and fast.
I am curious if it is possible, and if so if those who have installed with this power cord could tell me the as much of the details that would help me out.
If no one has installed using this cord yet, I am just curious if anyone with knowledge of the rear view mirror could chime in to let me know if there are any ways to pass through the mirror base to obtain power without removing the base. (In Vettes, you can sneak in on the front of the rear view base and grab power without taking anything apart)
As you can see I am trying to install a wired setup without taking the interior apart (as seen in many of the Valentine One install postings for Porsches)

Thanks in advance. All constructive responses are appreciated
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM
HalfMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Hey all,
I am a "noob" to the world of Porsches (so please keep the flame throwers in the off position :-D ), but I am not to the world of cars and building or modifying them.
So I am curious if anyone has installed a V1 using the Radar Mount mirror wire power cord. I know these work very well in Corvettes and BMWs (two of the few cars I have in my stable) and make installation a complete breeze and it is clean and fast.
I am curious if it is possible, and if so if those who have installed with this power cord could tell me the as much of the details that would help me out.
If no one has installed using this cord yet, I am just curious if anyone with knowledge of the rear view mirror could chime in to let me know if there are any ways to pass through the mirror base to obtain power without removing the base. (In Vettes, you can sneak in on the front of the rear view base and grab power without taking anything apart)
As you can see I am trying to install a wired setup without taking the interior apart (as seen in many of the Valentine One install postings for Porsches)

Thanks in advance. All constructive responses are appreciated
Yes, I did it this last week on my new 2019 GTS. I used the normal V1 windshield mount, not the mirror mount.

You will need a Mirrortap cord and these instructions worked perfectly for me. <10 minute install, MUCH easier than my C7 Z06.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1059...e-install.html

This thread has a link to an album that has photos of the wires on a 991.2 : https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1054...tall-pics.html Album is here: https://rennlist.com/g/album/9200642
Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Half Moon, Thanks alot. Appreciate all the info.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it with a blend mount and the mirror tap connector plug. Way cleaner than a suction cup mount. Pretty easy except for some contortions during the install. You'll see.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just my 2 cents. I initially installed my V1 with Blendmount and Mirror tap. I felt it was too obtrusive and obvious. I have since mounted on the upper left windshield using the standard V1 mount, and run the wire to the driver's side fuse box. It works well and is far less obvious too.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 PM
DishoomX2
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Just my 2 cents. I initially installed my V1 with Blendmount and Mirror tap. I felt it was too obtrusive and obvious. I have since mounted on the upper left windshield using the standard V1 mount, and run the wire to the driver's side fuse box. It works well and is far less obvious too.
I recently hardwired a Uniden R3 in the same manner but could not get the wire to tuck under the A-pillar completely. I tried using a credit card as well as a plastic trim tool, but no luck. Seems there is something behind the pillar to prevent tucking it any further. Any tips?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

DishoomX2:

I just installed my R3 with the Blendmount and Mirror Tap.

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to open the light housing. First I was trying to slide the credit cards from side to side but this didn't work. Actually, what you need to do is place the credit card and push on both sides.

Follow instructions from https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1059...e-install.html
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM
JGC
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Do you have any pictures of the V1 installed on the blend mount. I used something similar on a 997-C2S and liked it. I'm thinking about getting one for my new acquisition..
Old 02-17-2019, 09:47 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DishoomX2
I recently hardwired a Uniden R3 in the same manner but could not get the wire to tuck under the A-pillar completely. I tried using a credit card as well as a plastic trim tool, but no luck. Seems there is something behind the pillar to prevent tucking it any further. Any tips?
If I recall correctly, I tucked the wire behind the rubber molding on the door side, then snaked it around the end of the dash under the removable cover. If that makes any sense. From there it was easy to access the fuseblock.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JGC
Do you have any pictures of the V1 installed on the blend mount. I used something similar on a 997-C2S and liked it. I'm thinking about getting one for my new acquisition..
Sorry, not that I can find/
Old 02-21-2019, 03:00 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Halfmoon, I finally got a chance to get in there and do this.... Thanks for the link
BIG THANKS to go.illini for the write up!!!!

A++++
Took me not even 10 minutes, and most of that was reading the instructions. It was literally that easy.

First mod.... Done!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I too used the blendmount with an R1, but should be same basic installation - there are a couple of great threads here on this with lots of photos. One is by someone with Illinois in his name. Do a search on blendmount, I think you'll be delighted in what you find.

Quick Reply: Valentine Radar Mirror Install Questions