Sponsored by:

Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:11 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kwrudy123
Yes. And I added the Sports Design spoiler, and a carbon ceramic sports steering wheel. See below.

this is amazing.

Ive been trying so hard to find what mine will look like. First one I could find. Only differences are the yellow Porsche on the side I don’t have and my Targa top is black.

But so happy to finally see something so similar.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kwrudy123
Yes. And I added the Sports Design spoiler, and a carbon ceramic sports steering wheel. See below.

That is stunning. You have great taste my friend.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

RAS and PDCC make the 991.2 better handle better, control better, and faster on curvy roads and track. And shorter turning circle at low speeds. PDCC keeps the cornering much flatter and with lower center of gravity, even in Comfort mode used for rough pavement. These options work well together.
Be sure to get full leather with ventilated seats, unless you do not drive in hot weather. No slick or Alcantara steering wheel for me. My preference is for leather only steering , with Premium Pkg Plus. Many prefer the 5 lug wheels to the Centerlock wheels because of replacement availability and replacement costs.
My advice is to not spend more than for Bose audio. These 991.2s are not concert halls. And they make plenty of other sounds that are good to hear.
A C4S Targa will do just as well as the GTS Targa for you, if easy to do, because you can add the X51 PowerKit for a very reasonable cost on a new S or 4S, or you can later dealer-install. Dealer-installed is actually cheaper if you you Cayce the X51 PowerKit on sale like it is right now (again) and sell your S Turbo takeoffs, and it's the same GTS engine, accys and software, and carries the same new car warranty. Just make sure you have SC, SPASM, and PSE. As mentioned, PDCC is also very desirable. The P3P Sport pkg includes PSE, GT Sport Steering Wheel, PDCC, RAS, SC, and Sport Design mirrors, and is a nice way to go if ordering or u can find one on the ground.
You wanted opinions...
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

The GTS is a better deal than the 4S if you like the extras on the GTS, and if you care about resale it will be worth more than a Franken S.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:16 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

One last consideration... think about the rear end and keeping it simple with just "PORSCHE" in black. There are a lot of beautiful curves going on back there with the targa glass, light bar, wide hips, etc. PORSCHE says it all.

Nice build! Don't let your dad ever sell it as I hope you get to own it someday. You certainly have done your homework to make this one a family keeper.

Bob Z wisely advised to get as much factory paint options as possible at order time. Check out his pictures of his rear vent slats painted! That is one I'd recommend too.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:20 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Lots of great info here, thanks everyone. What exactly is it that makes everyone so excited about the rear wheel steering? Is the value found more in low speed maneuvering, or higher speed driving?

Interior has been updated to look like this. The only thing we aren't in love with is the carbon trim...would prefer the brushed aluminium in anthracite that comes standard, but it is unavailable with the GTS interior pack. Wondering if a phone call to Porsche exclusive could solve this.

If it were me, I'd dump the mouse fur, and go with the leather option. Doing that would allow you get rid of the carbon fiber you don't like, and also get ventilated seats. The stitching can be added, if that is a must have.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 AM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too removed all lettering on the rear except PORSCHE and 911. I also painted the side sills in the exterior color.

As for the comments about Alcantara vs leather, I agree that avoiding Alcantara in the steering wheel and shifter is the way to go since that’s where grease from your hands can transfer too easily. However, I love my Alcantara seats! Never hot in the summer and cozy in the winter. And the Alcantara on the rest of the surfaces like the doors and lower dash and arm rests and center console cover is so luxurious. Great for resale too.

Last edited by kwrudy123; 02-01-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:13 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If I remember correctly the carbon fibre wheel is actually bigger than the standard GTS wheel of that matters. I like the look of the smaller sportier wheel.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:17 AM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

Same diameter. I’ve had both.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:24 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
If it were me, I'd dump the mouse fur, and go with the leather option. Doing that would allow you get rid of the carbon fiber you don't like, and also get ventilated seats. The stitching can be added, if that is a must have.
This is the way I went. Ventilated seats, proper black dash, sport chrono in red, red seat belts. Only regret in the interior is the deviated stitching -- other than the missing pedal. If stitching was an option when I ordered, I couldn't find it.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:37 PM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

That’s what so great about Porsche, everyone can have it their own way! I don’t think the deviated thread is available on a GTS order unless it comes with the full GTS Alcantara interior. See mine in the photo.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Love it
Old 02-01-2019, 12:59 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
One last consideration... think about the rear end and keeping it simple with just "PORSCHE" in black. There are a lot of beautiful curves going on back there with the targa glass, light bar, wide hips, etc. PORSCHE says it all.

Nice build! Don't let your dad ever sell it as I hope you get to own it someday. You certainly have done your homework to make this one a family keeper.

Bob Z wisely advised to get as much factory paint options as possible at order time. Check out his pictures of his rear vent slats painted! That is one I'd recommend too.
^ Totally. Model delete is exactly what I'm doing on my future build. C4S, GT3, Targa...which ever one I'm lucky enough to own. My current C4S has all the trims painted and they are sharp.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:38 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW I loved the Burmeister in my .2 GTS, But agreed that it is overpriced.

For me the LEDs are a must in terms of looks and brightness on the road.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:44 PM
HalfMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
^ Totally. Model delete is exactly what I'm doing on my future build. C4S, GT3, Targa...which ever one I'm lucky enough to own. My current C4S has all the trims painted and they are sharp.
If I was ordering I would pay the $380 to opt for " "PORSCHE" Logo Painted and "911 targa 4 GTS" Logo Deleted" or $680 to have both painted.

The stick on letters always grab the wash mitt and will ruin an expensive microfiber mitt quickly. Mine are coming off and staying off so my GTS will have a baby smooth butt.

Quick Reply: Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!