Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!

Hi Rennlisters. I'm writing this on behalf of my Dad who's in the process of ordering a 2019 Targa 4 GTS. He has a couple weeks left to finalize his build and there are a few decisions left to be made, so any input would be much appreciated. Current build is as follows:

2019 Targa 4 GTS
Carmine Red
GTS interior package, carmine red
18-way adaptive sport seats w. memory
Prem package (entry & drive, heated seats, light design, auto dimming)
Model designation "911"
PDK
Power steering plus
Lane change assist
GT sport steering wheel in leather
Smoking package
Luggage net
Extended leather package, dashboard
Door sill guards in carbon, illuminated
Bose sound
Euro delivery (Zuffenhausen)

So here are the questions:
- Standard headlights vs. LED headlights/PDLS...can't decide if the extra $3k is worth it
- Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control....less worried about cost of the option, more worried about long term reliability. More stuff to break?
- Bose vs Burmester - thoughts?
- Manual vs PDK - he is torn 50/50 between the two, so any info that could tip one way or another would be great
- Anything else you think he's missing that will be a later regret? Is there anything in your 991 that you wish you had or hadn't chosen?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I would personally lose the power steering plus, many people seem to be very much against it. There is a thread on it here in the first couple of pages.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I would personally lose the power steering plus, many people seem to be very much against it. There is a thread on it here in the first couple of pages.
Noted, thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarod964

- Standard headlights vs. LED headlights/PDLS...can't decide if the extra $3k is worth it
- Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control....less worried about cost of the option, more worried about long term reliability. More stuff to break?
- Manual vs PDK - he is torn 50/50 between the two, so any info that could tip one way or another would be great
- Anything else you think he's missing that will be a later regret? Is there anything in your 991 that you wish you had or hadn't chosen?

Thanks in advance for any info!
The HID vs. LED probably isn't worth it in functionality, but the LED's make a huge difference aesthetically. The standard HID lights have a silver ring around the outside, that just looks completely out of place on a Carmine Red GTS that is otherwise trimmed completely in black. That ring is the only silver trim on the entire car, and sticks out like a sore thumb. I got the LED's for that reason, and it galled me I had to pay that much to overcome a design faux pas, but I've come to appreciate the functionality & overall look of the lights, and am glad I got them despite the price. In fairness, there are vinyl sticker solutions for making that ring black that seem to look pretty good in pictures I've seen.

The other comment I have is consider RAS as an option to add. With the horrible turning radius these cars have, I find the RAS really helpful in tight quarters. It also seems to feel more stable at higher speed turning, but I'd have a hard time quantifying that any more than a by a seat of the pants feel.

Here are the LED's on Carmine Red:

Old 01-31-2019, 11:20 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats, great build. My first two pcars were manuals but ordered GTS with PDK. Manuals are more fun to drive, but PDKs are faster, no overrevs, and my clutch leg isn't as strong as it used to be. Next pcar I order will have PORSCHE and any model designation on the rear bumper painted. Very classy and easier to clean. Both my pcars have PDLS, was included with premium package plus. I like it, but don't drive much at night ... don't know if it's worth 3K.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I would say yes to the LEDs for the same cosmetic reasons as the above poster.
Rear Axel Steering is a Must
Front axel lift I love and use it daily
If your car was any color other than red I would say the ceramic brakes are also a must, but with a red car the red caliper looks nice. The Ceramic brakes, even with yellow on red car are just the best thing ever.

I didn't get the Chassis Control but, people who have it love it and on the targa it is the most sensible because of the imbalance and extra weight. The DCC helps keep it level and stable.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:32 AM
HalfMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Standard headlights vs. LED headlights/PDLS...can't decide if the extra $3k is worth it
My GTS was already at the port when I started looking and one item I wanted that wasn't on the car was the LED lights. In the end though, I don't mind not having it as the Xenons are quite good. I think this is a personal decision, but the standard lights work great.

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control....less worried about cost of the option, more worried about long term reliability. More stuff to break?
True, more tech == more potential issues, but I got PDCC and SPASM on my coupe. I will risk it for the option.

Bose vs Burmester - thoughts?
From my reading they both aren't fantastic, mine has Bose. I'm going to likely do the upgrade of the tweeters that are discussed on the forum and disconnect the center speaker on the dash for better sound.

Manual vs PDK - he is torn 50/50 between the two, so any info that could tip one way or another would be great
This one is really hard for me. I ALWAYS buy manuals in my sports cars, but this one is a PDK. Do I miss the manual? Maybe. Reality is I think I am just in disbelief that I bought an "automatic", but the thing is quite amazing. The driving experience is really good and the PDK is way faster than I would ever be.

I pulled the trigger on the PDK car because I was going down 200 horsepower from my last car (C7 Z06/Z07) and wanted to make the GTS as quick as possible to avoid disappointment of having less power. So far, I am not disappointed at all.

The only thing I really wish my car had is PCCB. I really got spoiled with my Z07 having the carbon brakes. The bite was amazing and for the street they left no brake dust. I've washed my GTS twice now and I'm already disgusted with cleaning the wheels and the rusting rotor hats and cross-drilled holes.

Rear axle steering is very nice and was on my list of must have items.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to confuse you more (kidding) I actually prefer the standard light shape to the LED's, it is more round and "classic " looking. I've had both and functionally both are quite good. I don't notice any aesthetic issue on my GTS, if I can get out there to take a pic for you to compare I will.
I chose Bose because I don't like to turn the music up very loud. Having said that, Burmester is really good. Again I've had 911's with both and am happy with either.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I would choose between base stereo and burmeister. I've had Bose in one 991, and it really wasn't any better than the base stereo. Lacked midrange, in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I pretty much agree with everything above. RAS is a must, the difference is very noticeable. For me the Burmester was a requirement. I didn't want to deal with changing tweeters or anything else, and it sounds great. My 2012 991 C2S had the standard headlights, but I could see the improvement in the LED's on the Turbo S. The two 911's were my first time without a manual and I debated the same question. But, I love the PDK and will never go back to a manual.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

For the look, yes. Functionally doesn't matter. I'd go PDLS in black (that's what I did on mine).

Makes no sense to worry about this given the car's inherent complexity. Buy it for the functionality. If you're worried about things breaking, buy an early 90s Volvo 240.

The car makes so much noise (in a good way), there's no point in spending up on super high end audio. I'd stick with Bose. I have it and like it just fine. I've never been disappointed even when cranking it up. I'm coming from a BMW M5 with the Bang and Olufsen.

If I regret anything about my build, it's not having chosen manual. If he thinks he might regret ordering PDK, he will. Go manual. That said, the PDK is an amazing tranny -- it's just less involving. I miss rowing gears and I haven't had a manual since the Aston.

As others have said, the rear axle steering is an absolute must on these cars.

Also, skip the alacantara on the steering wheel and shift lever. Swap those to the leather parts. The alacantara feels good, but I hate sweating on it; I worry it'll get matted down etc. It hasn't yet, but I def prefer leather for the ease and worry free cleaning.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Well the stereo is a big topic around here and for me as well.
I could write 10 pages on this, but in the end if you want very good sound with the least amount of risk or headache AND potentially get it back on resale, then the Burmester is the way to go.
If you dont give a hoot about high end then Base is fine.
If you want the very best AND for less than the Burmester, then you go aftermarket, but you won't get it back on resale as no one is going to pay you for your custom stereo.

Now you have all the information you need to make a decision on that..
Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM
HalfMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Also, skip the alacantara on the steering wheel and shift lever. Swap those to the leather parts. The alacantara feels good, but I hate sweating on it; I worry it'll get matted down etc. It hasn't yet, but I def prefer leather for the ease and worry free cleaning.
This is a good point.

I had the alcantara wheel and shifter on my Corvettes and on my 1LE Camaro and always had the same concern. My dealer configured my GTS with alcantara delete and the leateher upgrade. The bonus for that is I also got seat cooling which you can't get with alcantara.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it. I've dug deeper into some of the points made here and have updated the build as follows:

2019 Targa 4 GTS
Carmine Red
GTS interior package in carmine red
Premium package plus (light design, entry and drive, auto dimming, heated seats)
Model designation "911"
PDK (stick might still be the way to go, though there are other toys in the garage with a manual so it wouldn't be a complete departure)
LED headlights w. PDLS (seems functionality is secondary here, more about the looks...which he's not convinced is worth the $3k)
Rear axle steering (most concerned about long term reliability here)
PDCC (some people have said it makes the ride feel a bit "synthetic"?)
Lane change assist
Heated multifunction steering wheel in leather
Adaptive 18-way seats w. memory
Bose sound
Smoking package
Luggage net
Euro delivery

The options I've put in BOLD are the ones he is still on the fence about, so we'd welcome more input/opinions on those topics in particular. Thanks again for the help...it's definitely an overwhelming process. For some background, this is one of a few toys and will be used mostly for a Sunday blast on country roads or PCA fun runs...though he's getting a bit older and thinks manual trans might become a headache in a few years. He also guiltlessly steals my 964 when in need of a manual transmission experience, so there's always that. The car MIGHT see a couple casual Porsche dealer-hosted track days but beyond that will not be pushed overly hard.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Well the stereo is a big topic around here and for me as well.
I could write 10 pages on this, but in the end if you want very good sound with the least amount of risk or headache AND potentially get it back on resale, then the Burmester is the way to go.
If you dont give a hoot about high end then Base is fine.
If you want the very best AND for less than the Burmester, then you go aftermarket, but you won't get it back on resale as no one is going to pay you for your custom stereo.

Now you have all the information you need to make a decision on that..
Agreed, the stereo is a big topic around here however, not nearly as "big" a topic as the sound coming from the engine. Yes, the 991.2 is quieter than a 991.1 yet still sounds quite amazing. The Bose is more than adequate, if you're like most that would prefer the listening enjoyment of the engine at the same time as listening to your stereo, the volume will need to be at a level low enough where even the standard stereo would be acceptable. In other words, by the time you get to a volume level where the Burmester truly shines, you'll no longer be able to hear anything coming from the rear of the vehicle. Same your money and purchase the Bose or go without either option. In regards to resale, you'll likely never see a dime added to resale for the $5000 spent on a Burmester..

Quick Reply: Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!