Sponsored by:

Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
If you haven't already done so, go check out the different interior option pieces in person. The tach/instrument cluster painted in xx color to me is worth the extra $$. I sat in a show room model with racing yellow dials and fell in love. I saw a GTS with the red tach and it too was gorgeous. The carbon fiber interior is also a must for me but I can see some not liking it. Again, go see for yourself.
The RAS does two things really well: 1) During slow speeds/u-turns, it drastically reduces the turning radius. 2) During high speed maneuvering, it enhances stability and grip. I'd suggest a test drive but you can take our work for it.
Unfortunately test drive is impossible at the moment with our Canadian winter, so in terms of PDCC/RAS....all we can go by is the reviews of others.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My build above. Carmine Red is a great color! Only item I would pay for on top of these is the Sport Design Package, I do like that rear lip. PCCB's I would like if money was no object, but $9k - ouch. PAS is a great safety feature but probably unnecessary. FAL is completely necessary were I live in the Northeast, I could never buy a car without it. For me PDK is the way to go, traded my manual ZO6 & pdk 997 GTS for my Targa GTS PDK. A fun time ordering and waiting for delivery!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Love the Sport Design mini duck rear spoiler on my coupe, although the $1800 is hard to justify for such a small detail
Old 01-31-2019, 07:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
Love the Sport Design mini duck rear spoiler on my coupe, although the $1800 is hard to justify for such a small detail
I've been toying with buying one from Suncoast for my 991.2GTS -- https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992DUCK.html. It is really subtle, though. I don't think anyone would even notice unless they were looking for it.

Not sure how to get it painted either -- I wonder how hard it is to match Agate Grey.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I've been toying with buying one from Suncoast for my 991.2GTS -- https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992DUCK.html. It is really subtle, though. I don't think anyone would even notice unless they were looking for it.

Not sure how to get it painted either -- I wonder how hard it is to match Agate Grey.
If someone is not a Porsche or better yet, a 911 guy, he/she probably won't notice it. When I was looking a the GTS, I remember seeing one with the tail and noticing something aesthetically cool and different about it. It took me a little while to figure out why but it's definitely noticeable. Yeah, it's subtle but the presence is definitely there.
In regards to paint match, I wouldn't worry about it in this day and age. Just find a reputable body shop and it'll all work out.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
In regards to paint match, I wouldn't worry about it in this day and age. Just find a reputable body shop and it'll all work out.
I had the front bumper replaced on my '14 M5 after some c*nt vandalized it. The car was Azurite Black -- sort of a very deep blue black, BMW Individual color.

The replacement bumper was obviously a different color under sun light. You only noticed it if you were looking for it, but when you were, it was plain as day. It was done at a BMW Collision Center; hard to imagine they aren't reputable or equipped with the proper know-how and equipment. They actually told me before doing the job that the paint wasn't going to be a perfect match, particularly because it was Azurite.

That instilled the fear of non matching in me.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I forgot that, which I ordered for mine...worth the extra bucks IMO.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

I had the front bumper replaced on my '14 M5 after some c*nt vandalized it. The car was Azurite Black -- sort of a very deep blue black, BMW Individual color.

The replacement bumper was obviously a different color under sun light. You only noticed it if you were looking for it, but when you were, it was plain as day. It was done at a BMW Collision Center; hard to imagine they aren't reputable or equipped with the proper know-how and equipment. They actually told me before doing the job that the paint wasn't going to be a perfect match, particularly because it was Azurite.

That instilled the fear of non matching in me.
I totally get it. My son got in a minor fender bender in his brand new car (that I paid for) when he first started driving. The body shop did an excellent job but I could tell where the work was done but no one else in my family could. It was barely noticeable but my OCD with cars got the best of me.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I would say yes to the LEDs for the same cosmetic reasons as the above poster.
Rear Axel Steering is a Must
Front axel lift I love and use it daily
If your car was any color other than red I would say the ceramic brakes are also a must, but with a red car the red caliper looks nice. The Ceramic brakes, even with yellow on red car are just the best thing ever.

I didn't get the Chassis Control but, people who have it love it and on the targa it is the most sensible because of the imbalance and extra weight. The DCC helps keep it level and stable.

100% agree with all the points above, particularly with Rear Axle Steering, Front Axle lift and LED headlights. I have these and love them!
Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

I also LOVE the Sport Design spoiler (look at my profile pic) I added it after the fact, and got it painted at a high-end paint shop for $170. They matched the GT Silver (hard to match) PERFECTLY. Looks like it came with it from the factory.

P.S. Also add Smoking Package for $0 and have a nicer finished center console (adds a little lid to the hole on the base of the console)
The following users liked this post:
pmiddy (08-22-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I just built mine and I’m waiting. My delivery date is not yet set. I’m told circa March. Targa 4 GTS as well.

I had had a total Porsche but with the sickest car collection I’ve ever seen help me build mind.

Dark Blue Metallic
black leather interior
black Targa bar (subjective, of course)
interior trim to match exterior paint
manual
ceramic brakes
RAS
Bose
sport design (not sure that little lip is worth it. Did it anyway)
1.5” fal
yellow clock and seat belts
lighting package
executive seating package
bose

I felt the interior GTS package was not necessary for me. I preferred to spend the $$$ on performance parts. That’s said, aesthetic is super important to me. I just don’t feel the need for it. Clearly also subjective.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:28 PM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 2018 Targa 4 GTS with a similar build. Primary differences are that I added rear wheel steering and PCCB (carbon ceramic brakes). I don't have PDCC and this is my 5th 911 without it...I don't think it is necessary for handling performance.

On the PCCB's, I love the looks of the larger rotors, the yellow calipers, the stopping performance, the 100,000 mile life expectancy, the lighter weight and the complete lack of brake dust. For all those reasons, I stretched for the nearly $9,000 option and am glad I did.

I don't think you need the Burmeister or the illuminated sill (you only see it briefly in entering/exiting). The Bose is great and as a GTS, the sports exhaust will be the sound your dad will be most interested in anyway. And honestly, the wind noise with the Targa roof open and the tire noise at speed will make you not want to use the radio much anyway.

So I would save money on the radio, PDCC and illuminated sill and spend it on PCCBs. BTW, I also added the Sports Design duck tail on mine and it looks awesome.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kwrudy123
I own a 2018 Targa 4 GTS with a similar build. Primary differences are that I added rear wheel steering and PCCB (carbon ceramic brakes). I don't have PDCC and this is my 5th 911 without it...I don't think it is necessary for handling performance.

On the PCCB's, I love the looks of the larger rotors, the yellow calipers, the stopping performance, the 100,000 mile life expectancy, the lighter weight and the complete lack of brake dust. For all those reasons, I stretched for the nearly $9,000 option and am glad I did.

I don't think you need the Burmeister or the illuminated sill (you only see it briefly in entering/exiting). The Bose is great and as a GTS, the sports exhaust will be the sound your dad will be most interested it anyway. And honestly, the wind noise with the Targa roof open and the tire noise at speed will make you not want to use the radio much anyway.

So I would save money on the radio, PCCB and illuminated sill and spend it on PCCBs.
Thanks for the input. Do you have rear axle steering on yours?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:55 PM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

Yes. And I added the Sports Design spoiler, and a carbon ceramic sports steering wheel. See below.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 PM
kwrudy123
Intermediate

Oh, I had a type in my original reply. I meant eliminate PDCC and add PCCB's. Finally, for a little aesthetic flair in the cabin, I added the leather steering column with deviated stitching that you see in the photo,

Quick Reply: Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!