Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:31 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

FAL is not required on the Targa. Adds weight and complexity however. I suppose it depends on where you live.
I have a GTS with SPASM and only scrape on the steepest of inclines....plus the lip is an easily replaced part.

RAS Is personal preference, I don’t miss it on my car. Easy to manoeuvre at slow speeds and haven’t felt I needed it at the higher limits of speed. Perhaps if I autocrossed it would be more important to me.

PDCC, works but actually prefer driving cars without it (I don’t have it on my car for this reason)...hard to explain, just feels more natural with no PDCC and one less maintenance item.

Carbon Ceramic brakes, if the calipers were not yellow (I have a sapphire blue) I’d have added these for the sole reason of no brake dust. GTS CLs get dirty so fast.

In the end end you are going to get piles of opinions and ultimately it will depend on his personal preference (and budget at some point).

My only regrets on my build were not adding the spoiler lip (subtle but sharp) and not paying the ridiculously high price for deviated stitching (have full leather but at the time couldn’t justify the $4k extra for Porsche to change the thread spool colour).

Of course this in no way detracts from my enjoyment of driving the car!
Old 01-31-2019, 02:33 PM
KShep
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice spec for the Targa. Congratulations! Have you considered the silver Targa bar? My preference is for a black bar on lighter paint colors and a silver bar for darker paint colors.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:41 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's so much fun spending someone else's money by choosing "must have" options for their car!

(Whatever you decide, you've started off with the right platform...Targa for the win! I love mine.)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I recently built and took delivery of a Targa GTS and would skip the PDCC as I do not see how it would improve anything on the street, and I do not baby it. I went with leather seats since I wanted ventilated ones, and went with the 5 lugs over the CLs since I liked the look better. But that is a personal choice along with the manual I got - I would not have considered one if it only had PDK. Finally, I went with all of the painted exterior pieces I could since I do not like the Black exterior trim.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:51 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I’ve read everyone loves RAS. My car has non led lights and they are just fine. You can manually shift PDS so have your cake and eat it too.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by J**2
From what I’ve read everyone loves RAS. My car has non led lights and they are just fine. You can manually shift PDS so have your cake and eat it too.
I forgot to add that I have RAS and love it. I also got the Black trim LEDs for that reason alone since as someone else stated the Gray trim do not work with every color. And shifting with a paddle and not using your left foot is not the same!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 225 Posts

My .02 cents:

- delete power steering plus (911’s don’t need it)
- keep LED lights
- Bose Audio is good enough in a 911
- manual transmission all the way
- LOVE the rear axle steering

enjoy the new car!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:43 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice build! Carmine red is gorgeous. It was either carmine red or chalk and I went with Chalk. All personal taste. Here's my 2 cents:
-Standard headlights vs. LED headlights/PDLS...can't decide if the extra $3k is worth it?
I didn't get it because I didn't want to pay for it. All my other cars have LED except my GTS. I prefer LED over bixenon for sure but it doesn't bother me at all. You also get the black trim vs. the gray, if you choose this option. It looks much better than gray. You can always spend about $100 and get an aftermarket black trim piece for aesthetics. If you don't mind spending $3,000, you should get it because it's better than the standard setup. I don't regret not getting this option.
- Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control....less worried about cost of the option, more worried about long term reliability. More stuff to break?
I got RAS but not PDCC. I haven't tracked my car yet but PDCC can enhance your track experience. I've read that PDCC will improve the ride as well. It all depends how good and aggressive of a driver you are, I guess. I'm pretty aggressive around the corners and my GTS without PDCC handles just fine IMO.
- Bose vs Burmester - thoughts?
It all depends how much you/he likes and values music. I absolutely have to have tunes when I'm in my car. I also enjoy the sound of my exhaust but music is a definite must. I'm somewhat of an audiophile. I like crisp sound and I have to have tight solid bass throughout the range. The BOSE offers neither of these things. The bass is muffled and lacks mids and highs. The engine and road noise will cancel out the muffled bass in the BOSE system. $5,300 for Burmester was well spent for me. To each his own. If great sounding music isn't important to you, skip the BOSE and go with the standard system. The standard system is "upgrade friendly" with aftermarket parts whereas BOSE makes it very difficult.
- Manual vs PDK - he is torn 50/50 between the two, so any info that could tip one way or another would be great
I'm over manuals. That's just me. Once again, to each his own. This is a high performance car and I want to max perform this beast. It has even more potential for HP and torque gains with aftermarket mods. If you want to experience one of the best gear boxes in the world today, I'd opt for the PDK. PDK is the fastest and smoothest shifting gear box that I've ever owned. If you still want to row your own gears, go for the manual. Not everyone buys these things for max performance. I just don't like leaving things on the table.
- Anything else you think he's missing that will be a later regret? Is there anything in your 991 that you wish you had or hadn't chosen?
Multi function steering wheel, Sport Design, and Side Skirts painted. I personally don't care for alcantara and opted for leather seats; I like ventilated seats as well. If I had to name 4 favorite features of my car, they are: Burmester, RAS, Instrument Dials in Racing Yellow, and Sport Design Pkg. I got exactly what I wanted and I have no regrets.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:53 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Couple of links from some reviewers who talk thru some of those options you list above and on the fence:

Congrats.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Lots of great info here, thanks everyone. What exactly is it that makes everyone so excited about the rear wheel steering? Is the value found more in low speed maneuvering, or higher speed driving?

Interior has been updated to look like this. The only thing we aren't in love with is the carbon trim...would prefer the brushed aluminium in anthracite that comes standard, but it is unavailable with the GTS interior pack. Wondering if a phone call to Porsche exclusive could solve this.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Lots of great info here, thanks everyone. What exactly is it that makes everyone so excited about the rear wheel steering? Is the value found more in low speed maneuvering, or higher speed driving?

I'd also lose the carbon fiber trim; I like the dark brushed metal trim you get by default in the GTS. Obviously this is very subjective.

Interior has been updated to look like this. The only thing we aren't in love with is the carbon trim...would prefer the brushed aluminium in anthracite that comes standard, but it is unavailable with the GTS interior pack. Wondering if a phone call to Porsche exclusive could solve this.
I'd lose the red tach; if you look closely, you can see the cutouts for all the inactive lights. Change the sport chrono dial to red instead for that splash of red you're looking for.

As for the rear steering, it's been discussed over and over here and elsewhere, with opinions on both sides. I'd say more people love it than not -- https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9764...r-2-gts-2.html .
Old 01-31-2019, 05:15 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I'd lose the red tach; if you look closely, you can see the cutouts for all the inactive lights. Change the sport chrono dial to red instead for that splash of red you're looking for.

As for the rear steering, it's been discussed over and over here and elsewhere, with opinions on both sides. I'd say more people love it than not -- https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9764...r-2-gts-2.html .
Tach is part of the GTS interior package, not an individual option.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Tach is part of the GTS interior package, not an individual option.
Right you are. Doesn't seem as if there's a way to change that either (on the configurator).

One more thing OP -- my SA neglected to tell me about the $0 voice control option, and I'm annoyed every time I press the voice control button and the car tells me I don't have voice control. Make sure you add it when you order the car.

People will chime in here to tell you the feature sucks, and this and that, but at $0, I'd have it rather than not.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Right you are. Doesn't seem as if there's a way to change that either (on the configurator).

One more thing OP -- my SA neglected to tell me about the $0 voice control option, and I'm annoyed every time I press the voice control button and the car tells me I don't have voice control. Make sure you add it when you order the car.

People will chime in here to tell you the feature sucks, and this and that, but at $0, I'd have it rather than not.
Good call, I noticed that but wasn't entirely sure what it was all about. Will add that.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

If you haven't already done so, go check out the different interior option pieces in person. The tach/instrument cluster painted in xx color to me is worth the extra $$. I sat in a show room model with racing yellow dials and fell in love. I also saw a GTS with the red tach in person and it too was gorgeous. The carbon fiber interior is also a must for me but I can see some not liking it. Again, go see for yourself.
The RAS does two things really well: 1) During slow speeds/u-turns, it drastically reduces the turning radius. 2) During high speed maneuvering, it enhances stability and grip. I'd suggest a test drive but you can take our word for it.
As always, only you know what you want/need. Good Luck and have fun choosing your options. Good times indeed!
Man, I'm on here way more than usual because it's raining in SoCal land and I can't drive my car like a maniac in the rain.

Quick Reply: Ordering a Targa GTS - Need Help!