Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 991.1 w/ 21k miles - is 60k mi svc needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 PM
DishoomX2
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2012 991.1 w/ 21k miles - is 60k mi svc needed?

I purchased my 2012 991.1 C2S from the previous owner, this past November, with about 20,500 mi. The previous owner had purchased it CPO in March 2017 w/ around 12,500mi. From the service records, a "4yr service" (inc oil change, air filter, cabin filter, and spark plugs) was performed as part of the CPO process. Last April 2018 (a year later) @ 16,700mi, the previous owner had brake fluid flush, oil change, and replaced cabin/air filters. The car now has 21,135 mi, and the Porsche dealer is recommending a 60k mi/6yr service based on time which includes what was done at 40k, plus belt/pulley change. Seems like an overkill based on what's already been done in the past 8k miles. I agree that it's time to change the oil - what about the rest? I work from a home office, and drive the car mainly on weekends...anticipating 200-500mi / month at the most. If I don't do it any time soon, given that I don't drive the car much, when should I expect to perform a 6yr/60k mi service...or at least change the belt/pulley? I can DIY filters and oil change.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

You’re right it is overkill. Plugs were done 2 years ago and brake fluid a year ago. IMO belts are a mileage thing, not a time thing. Ditto air filters.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default that's a no

No need. I'm in the same boat but to keep my warranty in tact I have to waste the money.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
You’re right it is overkill. Plugs were done 2 years ago and brake fluid a year ago. IMO belts are a mileage thing, not a time thing. Ditto air filters.
This.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by DishoomX2
I purchased my 2012 991.1 C2S from the previous owner, this past November, with about 20,500 mi. The previous owner had purchased it CPO in March 2017 w/ around 12,500mi. From the service records, a "4yr service" (inc oil change, air filter, cabin filter, and spark plugs) was performed as part of the CPO process. Last April 2018 (a year later) @ 16,700mi, the previous owner had brake fluid flush, oil change, and replaced cabin/air filters. The car now has 21,135 mi, and the Porsche dealer is recommending a 60k mi/6yr service based on time which includes what was done at 40k, plus belt/pulley change. Seems like an overkill based on what's already been done in the past 8k miles. I agree that it's time to change the oil - what about the rest? I work from a home office, and drive the car mainly on weekends...anticipating 200-500mi / month at the most. If I don't do it any time soon, given that I don't drive the car much, when should I expect to perform a 6yr/60k mi service...or at least change the belt/pulley? I can DIY filters and oil change.
Do you know your car's service intervals and what's needed when?
If not get educated so you know when they are talking ****.

Attached Images
Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 AM
DishoomX2
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Do you know your car's service intervals and what's needed when?
If not get educated so you know when they are talking ****.
Thanks. I did come across a maintenance interval which is one reason why I was curious whether anything needed to be done from a time perspective rather than mileage. It's my first Porsche, but I've owned Mercedes, Audi, BMW's...never had to change a belt/pulley on those at < 75k miles. If the car was a DD and I was approaching 60k, then I'd definitely consider it, but 21k miles seems like nothing. Unfortunately in the 991's it's a PITA just to get to the belt to inspect.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:27 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I did come across a maintenance interval which is one reason why I was curious whether anything needed to be done from a time perspective rather than mileage. It's my first Porsche, but I've owned Mercedes, Audi, BMW's...never had to change a belt/pulley on those at < 75k miles. If the car was a DD and I was approaching 60k, then I'd definitely consider it, but 21k miles seems like nothing. Unfortunately in the 991's it's a PITA just to get to the belt to inspect.

Are you a DIY'er. Replacing the belt is pretty straight forward and there's a few DIY write ups on here somewhere.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 PM
DishoomX2
Advanced

Are you a DIY'er. Replacing the belt is pretty straight forward and there's a few DIY write ups on here somewhere.
I'm a DIY'er to some extent...on other cars I've done oil changes, brake fluid, brake pads/rotors, coolant expansion tank, fuel filter, sway bar upgrade, etc. I've never done spark plugs or belt changes though. I did look at the DIY video for the belt replacement, which doesn't seem so bad...just a lot of stuff to remove just to get to the belt. However, at the 6yr/60k mi service interval, Porsche indicates to also replace the PDCC reservoir, which is something I don't plan on DIY'ing. When I get to that point, I'd have the drive belt changed too. Dealer quoted $1,390 for 6yr/60k service, btw.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:42 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I'm a DIY'er to some extent...on other cars I've done oil changes, brake fluid, brake pads/rotors, coolant expansion tank, fuel filter, sway bar upgrade, etc. I've never done spark plugs or belt changes though. I did look at the DIY video for the belt replacement, which doesn't seem so bad...just a lot of stuff to remove just to get to the belt. However, at the 6yr/60k mi service interval, Porsche indicates to also replace the PDCC reservoir, which is something I don't plan on DIY'ing. When I get to that point, I'd have the drive belt changed too. Dealer quoted $1,390 for 6yr/60k service, btw.
Here's the manual... please download if you don't already have a copy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8t...ew?usp=sharing

I had the PDCC bottle replaced at 60K and probably will not have it done again unless it starts to leak. There's a thread about this somewhere in here on this experience.
The following users liked this post:
jimmiejam (11-09-2020)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM
DishoomX2
Advanced

Here's the manual... please download if you don't already have a copy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8t...ew?usp=sharing

I had the PDCC bottle replaced at 60K and probably will not have it done again unless it starts to leak. There's a thread about this somewhere in here on this experience.
Thank you, sir! Much appreciated!

If the PDCC reservoir was in good shape at 60k, then I definitely shouldn't be worried at 21k!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:21 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm in the exact same situation as you with an early 2013 and only 23K mi... Also did plugs and filters... The *only* concern left here with your low miles is the serpentine belt which times out at 6 years (and 60K which you and I are nowhere near) ...

Some say it's based on time, some on miles, both are probably right to a degree but I imagine there is variability there (was it stored inside or driven in pools of acid, etc ;-)... It is a doable DIY but to me not a *trivial* job, enough to give me pause and at the same time not want to pay a dealer $$$$ for just that. I checked my belt from under the car (the visible portion) and rotated it a few times and rechecked the part I can see for a random sample - i will continue to do that each time I'm under the car - with a flashlight and a pulling tool to twist it a little, on a lift. I see no sign of cracking or wear on the grooved side, no tearing or wear on the outside - I therefore strongly lean towards mileage vs age - so I'm not doing it now unless I start hearing a squeal or noticing damage. I plan on driving the hell out of the car now that it lost its virginity (long story involving dent/paint) so I'll do it next time I do an air filter/oil change, with more mileage - maybe 30-40K... and will try hard to resync my mileage to the car's age ;-)

As I understand it powers up the water pump, alternator, AC, so if it snapped you'd be out for sure but probably not huge damage. If you have the bumper and airbox out then of course do it now. i think i can safely wait for a convenient time based on observation with MkI eyeball.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A few threads about it really not being needed although Porsche says 6 years or 60k miles.

I did mine when I was installing a PSE. My car is a 2012 with 16k miles. It was a $20 part and since I was already in the neighborhood...

Not a bad a project. I'm sure you've seen the really good DIY thread. Spoiler and bumper electrical connections were a bit annoying, but overall a pretty straight forward. Maybe plan on 3 hours accounting for a learning curve. Although, I'm sure it could be done in half the time. Also, one thing the DIY didn't mention was that the engine can sag once you remove the carriage bolt. You just need a floor jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan to get it aligned.

I was pretty pleased with myself after getting it done.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:01 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Trust me. Do belts on time, not on mileage. Ask me how I know.

cheers!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Trust me. Do belts on time, not on mileage. Ask me how I know.

cheers!

inquiring minds want to know what happened
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
inquiring minds want to know what happened

me too!

Quick Reply: 2012 991.1 w/ 21k miles - is 60k mi svc needed?