Sponsored by:

PSM Sport and other thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:47 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts
Default PSM Sport and other thoughts...

Took the T 'down to Mexico' for 175 miles of spirited, back road driving today. This is the first time I have done virtually a whole drive in PSM Sport. I use an Individual Mode setup with everything Sport Plus minus the Constant Spoiler (although, the .2 cars sure have a lot more 'wing time' than the .1 cars I've noticed. Must be due to the integrated cooling...). In no certain order:

- PSM Sport really loosens the car up, in a great way. It feels more lively, and while planted, brings out an old school character. It wants to jump when you tell it to jump. The front end seems almost twitchy, although that could have been road feed back -not the smoothest/flowing tarmac-, but still pretty planted and plenty firm. Much less stiff and locked down than normal driving. A no brainer, this setting is doing exactly what it is intended for and changes the character of the car. I continue to be blown away by just how much you can vary the car and its dynamics with a few button pushes and a bit of throttle. From laid back GT comfy, to back road hooligan looking in the mirrors for left behinds. Amazing. And I haven't even turned PSM 'all the way' (ABS never goes away) yet. That's going to be fun and I won't even try doing so off of a controlled course.

- RAS, along with PTV and the mLSD take some further getting used to when PSM Sport is at play. Again, a no brainer. Once you get a hang for when things will engage due to speed, camber and angles, it becomes fun and the safety net is appreciated. I have never had a car engineered this way, so it is fun to push the limits and see when it intervenes. The abrupt snaps are disconcerting at first, but I found that after about an hour it made some more sense and I could anticipate them/drive my way through them more. It isn't exactly linear from PSM On to PSM Sport, in my mind, but again this wasn't a lab and the roads varied. More driving, less thinking...

- The 9A2 is an incredible engine. Gobs of power virtually everywhere. Responsive and forgiving too. It doesn't get much better in this car than the 3-4 shift at redline into 100 and beyond. Just a really incredible experience aurally and physically. The car as a whole, and the engine really, also loves 5th gear @ 4500 and also around 100. Everything just settles and it glides along wanting to eat more road and gobble curves. Work of art. Different than @ 4500 in different gears/speeds. Just doesn't feel the same. Some of the above is aero, I believe, some of it Teutonic Magic. All of it is great. Thank you, Porsche!

- Still not a fan of the 7MT. It's run in and smooth/notchy. I have gotten myself virtually retrained from the 6MT bad habits now. I guide the lever vice letting it do its own thing. Only blew one shift today, and not at the pointy end, so still getting a feel. It is the one sore spot of this incredible car with me, and it is definitely a great problem to have all things considered...

- PCCB continue to blow me away, particularly at speed and when dealing with surprises on the road. Their ability to shave off speed, over and over, without a gripe, screech, or fade is amazing. Really glad I bedded them in like I did. My wheels looking just washed fresh is a cherry on top.

- Still not a whole lot of engine noise, but plenty of debris in the arches, particularly with snap direction changes with the RAS. Great for cruising, but definitely not something to be concerned about, unless you want a very quiet ride with no exhaust note. If that is the case, then you shouldn't be considering the car anyway IMO.

1,500 miles now and my run in is done. Just over a month of ownership and I am really, really glad that I went this route and spec'd the way I did. It is definitely a keeper!

S

Last edited by S S; 01-29-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Grammar...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I know what you mean about the 7MT, especially since I have experience with the 6MT. And I just passed 1k miles and have started to increase the revs past 4k and will do so until 1.5k and then the real fun begins.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

You took it to Mexico? Braver than me!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

The 991 7 speed is a sore spot with me too.had it on my 991.2 C2S and really did not like it after the lovely 6 speed in my 981 Cayman S. 7 speed experience was a factor in my buying this one with PDK. I still shift manually on every drive, but use my fingers. PDK was also a factor in my wife's approval of this purchase. She thinks it is an automatic...
Sounds like some great roads and fun in Mexico. Wish I lived closer to that. But I still get my kicks and also am able to enjoy my 991.2 .
Wish I had the PCCB, my gloss Black wheels are a lot of work. Just discovered the Swiffer 360 dustwe. Very handy for spike cleaning.... Swiffer 180 flat duster keeps the Black paint looking good. Chief Concours Judge buddy told me about them.
Enjoy that 991.2 T. Probably a lot of 991.2 tunes coming along in the future as the factory warranties get old. I'll be watching the reliability over the next few years on my 7 month old 991.2
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Re: 7-speed MT, I wonder if the Numeric Shifter & Cables solves the issue of the 997.2 MT feel?

Quick Reply: PSM Sport and other thoughts...