Sponsored by:

2018 911.2 GTS - where to start mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I wish it instead put the car in the last mode you had it in. I never drive in normal mode, so auto start/stop isn't an issue for me. I do wish I didn't have to switch it out of normal mode every time I start the car, though.
True.....but normal mode with PSE on is not so bad and the memory module will enable that.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
If you take the factory exhaust and any aftermarket unit on absolutely equal cars under absolutely equal conditions (i.e., absolutely everything) the likelihood of getting much more than 5 extra HP is minimal. And I would opine that the average driver cannot feel even 10 HP let alone 5.
With the 991.2 generation Carrera being turbocharged, it responds well to high flow cats. Any turbo car will make significantly more power with high flow cats; anything from the 1.5L turbo in the Civic to the twin-turbo V8 in McLarens. With respect to headers, the factory 991.2 headers are close to the worst design possible which leaves a lot of room for improvement; Porsche ditched the design for the 992. The 3 major brands of headers available for the 991.2 Carrera have all been tested on various cars in various states of mods and tunes on various dynos, but they all show significant gains. Of course, the different brands perform a bit differently due to design differences, but they have shown 4%-7% gains, so 20-25whp give or take. Plus, they improve boost response.

This is just one test of multiple that have been done.
https://motoiq.com/testing-vektor-pe...911-carrera/8/
Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Your Dyno graph shows 488 HP at the "engine".
I believe it says, "at engine RPM" and then shows 6.42 for HP (6420) and 4.51 for torque (4510) which seems to match the graph for each measured peak.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:01 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I am not an engineer but that was the information conveyed by the tuner. If that was inaccurate I suppose I should be corrected
Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

There are three types of horsepower, tuner horsepower, psychic horsepower and real horsepower. The latter tends to be the smallest.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:14 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Some of us just flat out enjoy tinkering with our cars. Is it a complete waste of our hard earned money? You bet. Heck, why not take a Greyhound bus and stay at Motel 6 on vacation because y’all know they’ll keep the light on for you!? I digress.
Back on point...as many have indicated, the best exhaust mod for the 991.2 GTS is swapping out cats for high flow cats or cat bypass. HP/torque gain isn’t significant enough on the butt dyno but highly recommended for sound enhancement. The best bang for your buck HP/torque gain will result from a stage I tune.
Everyone has an opinion and an a**hole, and I respect that. My personal performance sweet spot will be a stage II tune, when I decide it’s time. For now, I’m going to enjoy the mods that I wasted my hard earned $$ on.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:11 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by rubycaymanr
I am not an engineer but that was the information conveyed by the tuner. If that was inaccurate I suppose I should be corrected
Well I doubt the engine HP is 570 as stated.

So what mods did you do or did I miss that?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:07 AM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

The mods; Kline equal length headers, Agency Power catless exhaust, AMS Innercoolers, IPD PLenum, BMC Air Filter and Hydra Motor Works retuned the ECM
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
There are three types of horsepower, tuner horsepower, psychic horsepower and real horsepower. The latter tends to be the smallest.
Ok...that was funny
Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Hydra Motor Works
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dyno graph of @rubycaymanr 's GTS is after we did a custom dyno tune on it when it was originally @flsupraguy 's car. That particular GTS has a full catless Agency Power exhaust, Kline headers, BMC filter and AMS intercoolers. The power that car put down is measured at the wheels as well.

As far as best bang for your buck modification you can do to the 991.2's is an ECU tune. Will you get a better sound? No. But in regards to performance, there is no question about it. If you are local, we can unlock your ECU in-house and tune it same day. If you aren't local, upon receiving your ECU, please allow 24-48hrs to unlock and tune, then we will overnight the ECU back to you. The tune includes a handheld device which can be used for flashing back to stock or updated tune maps if you were to add hardware modifications later down the road. This way you do not have to send your ECU back in, we can handle the tuning remotely.

If anyone has any questions, I would love to answer them. Feel free to DM me or give us a call at the shop as well!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:05 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydra Motor Work
The dyno graph of @rubycaymanr 's GTS is after we did a custom dyno tune on it when it was originally @flsupraguy 's car. That particular GTS has a full catless Agency Power exhaust, Kline headers, BMC filter and AMS intercoolers. The power that car put down is measured at the wheels as well.

As far as best bang for your buck modification you can do to the 991.2's is an ECU tune. Will you get a better sound? No. But in regards to performance, there is no question about it. If you are local, we can unlock your ECU in-house and tune it same day. If you aren't local, upon receiving your ECU, please allow 24-48hrs to unlock and tune, then we will overnight the ECU back to you. The tune includes a handheld device which can be used for flashing back to stock or updated tune maps if you were to add hardware modifications later down the road. This way you do not have to send your ECU back in, we can handle the tuning remotely.

If anyone has any questions, I would love to answer them. Feel free to DM me or give us a call at the shop as well!
Tunes are so amazing. You say 100hp/100tq for a base 991.2. That is nuts. Just figure out how to make a tune undetectable and i'll be the first person in line!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Hydra Motor Works
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Tunes are so amazing. You say 100hp/100tq for a base 991.2. That is nuts. Just figure out how to make a tune undetectable and i'll be the first person in line!
Sending you a PM now!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

In my mind, first mod is changing out the cats for the sound, if for nothing else. Cat delete pipes are best unless you have environmental gestapo inspecting your emissions. In that case id change my voting habits, and install race cats. 2nd mod would be plenum and air filters. Next up would be a tune but I'm not hurrying into that, with 41 months of factory warranty remaining on my X51 C2S. I'll wait another 3 years till it has at least 15k miles and is beyond that early defect failure probability. At the same time I'll be watching for any reliability issues on the forum and among service shop folks i know. Failures related to tuning don't seem likely at this point, but it will take a few more years to convince me.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I highly recommend calling Todd Knighton at Protomotive and getting a tune from him. His support is awesome and he is legendary in the Porsche world as you may know. I haven’t seen many 60-130 times but the fastest on any stock turbo I’ve seen is a 8.1 I think. I have a 7.4 with only WMI, Catless and Tial inlet pipes and that’s with an MT. Good luck to you and your quest. Enjoy the journey .
Old 02-01-2019, 01:49 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydra Motor Works
By a tune, I take it "most" of the power gain from any one device was the ECU and not so much from the individual components you listed (well maybe the intercoolers). I take it boost was increased.

Quick Reply: 2018 911.2 GTS - where to start mods