Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Diminished value due to high miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 AM
rp4
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me, I'd probably get a boring compact suv for the utility & comfort (e.g. rav4), and save the sports car for the weekends. I wouldn't be thinking sports car + compact sporty sedan
Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy another car or truck, and rotate when I miss my 911, there are places where you should not use your Porsche and that makes your decision a stress relief. Mazda 3/6 or Civic should be fun cars as well.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:09 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Bumper to bumper traffic on my 80 mile round trip 3 hour commute to Pasadena 3 days per week. Lots of gravel trucks and too many near miss accidents of people texting and locking up brakes behind me. I choose my Prius for commuting or the occasional Friday drive in my wife’s M4. The 911 is a weekend driver, to me it just make me look forward to driving it. 2517 miles in 18 months, but then it’s not going anywhere, I plan to keep it probably 10 years.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Lots of great comments. No one seems to have the corner on being right here. Personally, started down the road storing my C4S and 2 weeks into winter said eff that, bought snows and couldn't have made a better decision. Best machine in the winter I've ever owned. Its a nice car. And it looks even nicer when dirty.

As to the cost factor: it doesn't seem like any of you have accounted for risk. One insurance event on that 2nd vehicle and now your out a deductable or out of pocket for repairs. There goes any savings, net net.

But personally, I'm very happy many don't drive their 911s in the winter or as a daily. Gives me alot of pristine low milage choices at 30% - 50% off MSRP; and in just a single lease cycle.

And those of you keeing that GT version under cover, your in for a surprise as production on those ramps an additional 30% over the next couple yrs. A lot more supply coming and basic economic priciples will take hold. Its not different this time.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
No offense, but to me this is like saying "I have a super hot girlfriend and I have the opportunity to sleep with her a lot, should I do that or should I look for another woman to be with during the week and only be with my hot girl on weekends and special occasions".
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard... People need to stop making comments like this. It sounds ignorant.

Women are not objects, they don't depreciate. Most mentally sane men can differentiate the emotional attachment of a car from a person.

Some owners choose to drive their cars everyday, some don't. Some choose to race their cars, some choose to baby their car. I don't see how one group is better than the other one.

To the OP: I was on the same boat as you so I chose to get a BMW X3 as a DD. I used to DD my 997 and it became mundane and lost the special feeling of having such a great machine. I now drive my 991 once in a while and it feels like the very first time.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default that's a no

Buy a beater. People talk and although everyone here loves their 911 some people (who you may interact with for business purposes) will label you an a-hole. Where I work the average salary is not great and parking my 911 outside the building every day would be like a great big FU to those folks. doctors and lawyers can do whatever they want because people mentally want their doctor or lawyer to be loaded.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard... People need to stop making comments like this. It sounds ignorant.
whatever. Hopefully the mods will delete.

Last edited by Freddie Two Bs; 01-27-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:47 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

If you're getting a dollar a mile and averaging 20k /yr, why not lease any other P-car and keep your 991 for the weekends, just my 2c
Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM
Frosty914
Track Day

Use your mileage allowance to buy a sorted 996 (maybe $25K?) that you can DD, take to the track, enter Paris Dakar, etc... then you can still choose to drive the GTS on nice days, the occasional road trip or just backroads on the weekend without the worry of mileage depreciation.
Then trade your low miles GTS for a GT car in a few years! Just my $.02
Old 01-27-2019, 04:32 PM
oxymoron
4th Gear

I would buy a daily for sure. Save the 911 for the weekend. By then, you'll be dying to take it out and it will feel all the more special.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:40 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991

Women are not objects, they don't depreciate. Most mentally sane men can differentiate the emotional attachment of a car from a person.
You go, girl!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:22 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Seeing the different opinions in this thread, I would say it is perfect for a poll.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Bumper to bumper traffic on my 80 mile round trip 3 hour commute to Pasadena 3 days per week. Lots of gravel trucks and too many near miss accidents of people texting and locking up brakes behind me. I choose my Prius for commuting or the occasional Friday drive in my wife’s M4. The 911 is a weekend driver, to me it just make me look forward to driving it. 2517 miles in 18 months, but then it’s not going anywhere, I plan to keep it probably 10 years.
Couldnt agree more. I don’t spend $125k plus on a 911 to have people cutting in front of me on a busy highway throwing road debris at the front end of my car when I can drive my other 60k-70k cars to take those hits....let alone all of the “junk” highway miles. All of my cars are very nice, but I consider my 911 to be special, and it’s my desire to keep it that way. All the babble about it’s just a car that’s going to depreciate is full of arrogance and stupidity in my book. We are all smart enough to know that a 911 is going to depreciate, but that’s not the point unless your an idiot with your money. The “right tool” for a commuting job is NOT a 911. The “right tool” will vary depending upon distance traveled each day and what may be required out of the commuter once you arrive to work. I am good with depreciation, but I am not going to be needlessly take a bigger hit than I need to take. You could soon pay for a good commuter with your additional loss of depreciation on the 911. Plus at the end of the year your 911 will most likely not look like a road warrior either. To each their own.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:22 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

Couldnt agree more. I don’t spend $125k plus on a 911 to have people cutting in front of me on a busy highway throwing road debris at the front end of my car when I can drive my other 60k-70k cars to take those hits....let alone all of the “junk” highway miles. All of my cars are very nice, but I consider my 911 to be special, and it’s my desire to keep it that way. All the babble about it’s just a car that’s going to depreciate is full of arrogance and stupidity in my book. We are all smart enough to know that a 911 is going to depreciate, but that’s not the point unless your an idiot with your money. The “right tool” for a commuting job is NOT a 911. The “right tool” will vary depending upon distance traveled each day and what may be required out of the commuter once you arrive to work. I am good with depreciation, but I am not going to be needlessly take a bigger hit than I need to take. You could soon pay for a good commuter with your additional loss of depreciation on the 911. Plus at the end of the year your 911 will most likely not look like a road warrior either. To each their own.
Oh we totally disagree. But least I don't go name call.

- Most people don't 'spend 125k.' They have a down-payment and monthly payment. If you didn't pay to drive it, what did you pay for? Lust after driving it?

- Your 911 will be worth 60-70k after 4-5 years. Whats makes a difference is it takes hits on the road vs another car today or years from now?

- Its fine that you think your car is special, but realize that's just you. No one else around you cares - to them its just another car that's expensive. They would care less about how many miles, how much its worth, or how shiny it is in the garage. Trophy for you - just another car for the world.

- Hard to cut in front of a fast capable car and most people get out of your way (yes some do want to race too). Don't tale gate so you don't get hammer with debris. Even if it takes hits, are you really expecting a perfect road with zero specs of dirt?

- If you think highway miles are junk, what are NOT junk miles? 35 MPH city zones with stop lights? Roll around the suburbs? These cars are best in twisty highways...

- A car is a tool because it transports. If you're alone and want nice transportation to get to work or run errands, a 2 seater sports car is the right tool. Its not the right tool if it doesn't have appropriate clearance (offload, snow storm, slopes, bumps, etc), can't handle whats asked for it (tow, haul), lack of space (carry 4 people or a lots of luggage), loud, tiring, or uncomfortable over time, gas inefficient for long trip etc. Whats NOT the right tool for commuting is a large SUV. A 2 seater luxury sports car is the ultimate commute tool. I bought mine for the vary reason. I have 1 hr commutes and taking the SUV is frustrating and boring due to poor handling (dread it), but driving the 911 is something I look forward to. It handles winding roads, lets you pass people, and do everything with ease.

- Buying a depreciating asset and being afraid to consume it is being an idiot with their money. Accepting its worthless and NOT an investment is being smart with your money (and knowing you can afford it). Fact is buying it was being stupid with your money and that decision was already made. Whats even more stupid is thinking about making sure it depreciates less so you can sell it after peak depreciation (1-5 years). A smart person buys a car, knows its a loss, but plans to keep it a while... they don't care or consider depreciation because they aren't selling... its the dummy who trades cars every few years that does that.

- No 'decent' secondary 'commuter vehicle' will save you money instead of putting additional mileage on a 911. Math doesn't work after you consider cost of ownership. Even when driving a 100k 911. Maybe a 250k mclaren math works better.

- Not sure exactly what a road warrior is, but a car well cared for and driven looks great. Mine has 23k miles on it and looks as new...looked as new when original owner put 12k miles on it after about a year. If you're seriously worried your car will melt in the rain or tiny pebble will make hole in it...well I can't help you. I promise car will be fine if you drive it.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe consider something in the middle, this is where I end up after many cars which were garage queens. I live in the NE and will not drive my 911 in snow, slush or shortly after a storm, but I will drive it at least once a week with dry roads. The cars I have laid up and driven sparingly don't have many memories when I think about all the cars I have owned the ones I drove frequently like my E39 M5 I remember fondly. I agree with limited use it is more special every time you drive it thats why I will not use my 911 as a grocery getter or short mundane trips. If I ever move south I will definitely put more miles on.

Quick Reply: 911 Diminished value due to high miles