Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GTS vs 991.2 C2S. What to get used?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

I have no idea what the depreciation curves will be for these two cars, but just from a pure driving experience as weekend "fun car" I would go with the AMG.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991

the recent MB vehicles have some of the best interiors right now. I’ve not seen a few GT coupes, I have never seen a roadster. I thought these cars were low production vehicles, therefore holding a better resale value. Maybe I’m wrong, just me thinking out loud.
They are not that limited. I am guessing >20k WW production. Love the interior of AMG GT. One step above 991 granted 991 is a car from 2013. Probably one step below incoming 992s.

Originally Posted by suban
991.1 gts might hold its value better and be cheaper then both cars mentioned if that is the main concern...
Originally Posted by casaforte9
How about getting a 991.1 NA 4s or S and that may depreciate more slowly and NA seems to have buyers looking for that motor
Yeah, I also thought about 991.1 GTS. However, they are sometimes more expensive than 991.2 C2S and even with higher mileage. Unfortunately seems like Canadaland does not have the best inventory of used 911s.

Originally Posted by jnolan

I thought my AMG had a great interior, and then I bought a Panamera Turbo S e-hybrid ST. This interior is a notch below what Bentley delivers, and a small notch at that. I’m really impressed by how much Porsche has stepped up their luxury interior game.

Back to the OP. The AMG cars are falling like a rock, 2017 GT S cars are selling for low $90’s right now, well off the $132k MSRP they sold originally for. You can get a 2018 roadster for $100k. Don’t fool yourself, AMG cars depreciate severely. Throwing shade on the mainline AMG models is misplaced, the C and E class AMG models are not badged versions, they are legitimate AMG offerings. You are correct, AMG is AMG... they all fall like a rock. I’m painfully aware of this, my E63S wagon is one of just 125 examples that entered the US in 2016 (the last of the W212 generation) and I cry like girl when look up what the market is on this car right now.

Having said that, if it were between a C2S and a AMG GT (even the S, but I’d spend up for the R), I’d go with the AMG. Only Ferrari is making a better V8 right now and that’s because they artificially limit the low-end torque to give it more in the mid-range, to mimic the feeling you get in a NA car. I don’t much care for the whop-whop-whop sound of the flat-plane crankshaft in the 3.9 liter Ferrari motor, so on sound AMG wins by a wide margin, and it is a dry sump. You have to go up to a GT3 to get dry sump in a 991. The MCT Speedshift is a really cool transmission but the PDK is still better. Everything in the mechanicals says the MCT should be better but the PDK just feels more adaptive and responsive to changes in how you are driving. The front-mid engine placement is a winner (Carroll Shelby grins, the secret to the Cobra was the front-mid placement and even with a massive 427 side oiler, those cars handled really well) and while the rear engine in the 991 has advantages for launch, I think it’s a toss-up for overall vehicle dynamics. I don’t know if they offered rear-axle steering on the pre-2018 models, but the steering in general is equivalent to the 991 (disclosure, I’m a big fan of the electric steering in my 991.2).

The AMG is much cooler looking and makes much more of a visual statement.

A word of caution about the matte finishes that are popular on those models. They are a major PITA to maintain and if you need to bodywork done you will be cursing Stuttgart.
I have to agree with you that AMG looks more exotic and sounds amazing. Don't really care for it's long hood FMR layout but it is pretty cool once it is offset with rear spoiler of some sort.
I agree with you that AMG interior will fall right in between 991 and 992 (or Panamera, which has amazing interior. Very high tech)
I do wanted to say that SLS AMG maintained its value very well (very close to MSRP for coupe version, most likely due to its unique gullwing doors) and AMG GT is not the normal AMG offering (shove in a big engine to regular sedan and coupe) but more of a purpose built sportscar. I believe AMG GT may not lose its value so quickly after it hits first 30% depreciation hit. I am not so sure of 991.2 C2S. It does not offer anything unique over new 992. Basically same engine (with less power) and older exterior (arguably better looking) and older interiors. I am afraid that 991.2 may be hit with quite a depreciation once 992 floods the market. IMO.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Your friend should seriously consider a Carrera T.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:29 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The interior of the AMG is far more beautiful and exotic looking than any 911 IMHO. But if you're a shorter guy (like me), make sure you sit in the AMG and are OK with the position of the shifter. Maybe a silly little detail, but a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:36 AM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a these in 991 gt3 forum
Search that for other info

Nick 911 guy on YouTube had a friend with amg and sold once he drive Nick 991.2s

Porsche is no question better daily car
Amg more emotional and dramatic

911 still has emotion, just different
Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Lol at the phallic comments of the AMG, I’ve always felt that way when the car came out. There is just no denying that you’re just sitting in a pair of ***** with a big dong for your hood.

Seriously, speaking from experience, if the looks bother you when you buy it, it will never get better. Buy the car that speaks to you, never mind the depreciation. Between these 2 cars I can’t imagine you’re going to be saving much anyways.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:04 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Jnolan summed it up well. The amg gt sound is awesome ( very few turbo cars can match it in sound ) and interior screams exotic and first 2 year depreciation is a lot . The 911 will always have more traction and amg gt has more polarizing looks but feels special . The 911 will also feel special due to rear engine dynamics , more spacious due to rear seats and amg feels there is more space between driver and passenger .

i really think both are good but most of us can only buy one and overall pick in terms of classy look , driving dynamics and daily usability will always be 911
Old 01-25-2019, 08:29 AM
mkess10
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove both, went with a 991.1 GTS. The AMG has a great interior but the 991 has much better ergonomics and sight lines. The AMG felt like driving a 'Vetter or a Viper with its extremely long hood. I felt it was a car I would get tired of.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 917 Likes on 529 Posts

depreciation for any car depends on entry point and exit point irrespective of brand
I will focus more on what car I want , then be smart when you start shopping for that particular model... Study the market for a while and get the car at a good entry price , and keep an eye on market during ownership and try to get a good exit price , and you will be fine relatively speaking as all cars depreciate
also set the right expectations to yourself, these cars will probably cost 1000-1500 a month to own on average
Old 01-25-2019, 09:22 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Not the exact comparison you are looking for, but a good proxy..?

Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy just got this used with a couple thousand miles on it. The original purchaser lost about $50K, lol!

He thinks he's going to daily drive this? We'll see how long that lasts. The car is nuts, definitely faster on a track than the C2S, but maybe the non R version would be similar.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

That AMG is no slouch by any measure.

Tell your friend to get the one that he'll get the best return on emotion out of. If he has to ask.... He's not a Porsche guy so I'd say AMG since it's more rare, looks better, sounds better and has a much more modern interior.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have owned 42 Porsche's (3 now 2 911's and a Cayman 718S), only the Cayman is stock. I also own a 2016 AMG GTS (also not stock), I drove my first Porsche 911 (probably before many of you were born) almost 50 years ago. The GTS (mine is loaded just above every option), requires in my opinion a lot more skill to be able to drive the car to truly experience how good it is. Keep this in mind it won best handling car when it came out, on the Amazon Grand Tour show, it went around their track (with a professional driver) faster than a GT3 (by enough to say wow). I am old and my skills are not what they once were but many years ago I was good enough to field multiple offers to go pro, and I find the GTS a truly amazing car, but in order to truly see what it can do it needs to be driven without traction controls (AMG's are too restrictive) I also think the Camaro ZL1 (and the C7 Grandsport best balanced current corvette) are pretty amazing (working on a deal for one now). I have owned a lot of cars (around 470 I remember), and cars like the 4C the Evora 400 and the GTS will always have a place in my garages. I will always own at least one Porsche, but I am the type that appreciates cars not matter what brand they are. A good drivers car, is a good drivers car, whether it is made in Germany, Italy, the UK, or the USA.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
That AMG is no slouch by any measure.

Tell your friend to get the one that he'll get the best return on emotion out of. If he has to ask.... He's not a Porsche guy so I'd say AMG since it's more rare, looks better, sounds better and has a much more modern interior.
Looks better? Oh my goodness.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
Looks better? Oh my goodness.
it does look more exotic than 911 lol.

Btw I took a look at some amg gts for sale in Canada. 2017 cars are being sold for 90k usd with less than 4k miles. What do you guys think? Drive the hack out of it and lose 20k or so in depreciation? Doesnt sound too bad of a deal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMG GTS vs 991.2 C2S. What to get used?