Sponsored by:

Put Away for Storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:25 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Put Away for Storage

Ok, so the car is stored away now. Had an oil change completed, fill up a tank of gas, some fuel stabilizer, and I am using the Porsche battery tender. I simply plugged it into the passenger side outlet. Just to be sure, I can leave this device plugged into the car for a couple of months, and not worry about unplugging it and plugging it back in? I’m guessing the device is smart enough to shut off, or maintain after a full charge of the battery? Last thing I want to deal with is a battery explosion or leak. Does the reading of this device look correct to you guys? I’m guessing it’s good and charging.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:31 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
Ok, so the car is stored away now.
Why do you put it away? Do you have another car to enjoy in the winter months?

I'm taking mine out for a blast later today.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:05 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Why do you put it away? Do you have another car to enjoy in the winter months?

I'm taking mine out for a blast later today.
This car won’t see any rain, or any salt. I live in NJ, and the winters can be brutal. The 911 has been my dream car since I’ve been about 8 years old. Finally pulled the trigger and bought one, and I love it. I have a S5 Sportback that’s my daily driver, and surprisingly, I’m still driving around my Hellcat in these months. I would love to move out of NJ once my kids grow up and go to college. I need nice weather all year round.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:06 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

I just realized that you are in NJ too. The weather is actually decent today and warm(40 degrees). Where in NJ are you located? I’m up north, in the Wayne area.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

We got about 7 inches of snow last night. More coming Tuesday. Sub zero temps after that.

Yes. You are properly using your battery maintainer.

Mine has been plugged in since late October. Hope to unplug by mid March. Early April the latest.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:17 PM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

This car won’t see any rain, or any salt. I live in NJ, and the winters can be brutal. The 911 has been my dream car since I’ve been about 8 years old. Finally pulled the trigger and bought one, and I love it. I have a S5 Sportback that’s my daily driver, and surprisingly, I’m still driving around my Hellcat in these months. I would love to move out of NJ once my kids grow up and go to college. I need nice weather all year round.
Thats why I live in Florida! 991.2 is year round daily driver and 993 is year round weekend car! They have schools for kids here too!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:31 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LexVan
We got about 7 inches of snow last night. More coming Tuesday. Sub zero temps after that.

Yes. You are properly using your battery maintainer.

Mine has been plugged in since late October. Hope to unplug by mid March. Early April the latest.
yep, we are waiting for that storm too. Luckily, we went from 8-12” down to 1-3”, so I think it’s been moving northeast and almost out of my area. I’m getting sick of shoveling and plowing.

Great, thanks for the reassurance. Ha, I have the same sort of schedule I plan for storage. Put away in October and open up late March, April the latest.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MBR993

Thats why I live in Florida! 991.2 is year round daily driver and 993 is year round weekend car! They have schools for kids here too!
hahaha, don’t need to twist my arm anymore. That sounds like the perfect climate for me, and yes they do have school for kids.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

hahaha, don’t need to twist my arm anymore. That sounds like the perfect climate for me, and yes they do have school for kids.
I left NJ when I graduated college and never looked back. SO many better places to live. We already had our once a year snow storm in Charlotte. 3” and schools closed for 3 days. Took my 991 out for a great drive yesterday. Will do so again tomorrow when the rain passes.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:07 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

It's fine

My 981 stays on the tender from Nov-Apr.

My 991 gets beat up by salt
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I’m an hour south of you, but drive the car all year round. That’s the beauty of these cars, they really work just as well in the winter. Oh and they don’t melt in the rain or snow
Old 01-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting coincidence... I checked on my 991.2 today after being away for two weeks and the battery was dead. It was put away in late November. The car is new and I am using the same battery charger as you. It was also plugged into the passenger footwell 12V socket.

I couldn't get the frunk open; even after hooking up a serious starting battery charger to the divers side fuse panel jumper terminal.
I digress. I will get it fixed. Anyway, the dealer advised me that while storing, lock the car. It basically shuts the systems down and can help prevent a power drain like the one I experienced.
He also said that the charger needs to be turned on again after a power interruption. That probably happened to me. Anyway, keep checking that it is ON and charging and lock the doors.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:58 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiderv6

I’m an hour south of you, but drive the car all year round. That’s the beauty of these cars, they really work just as well in the winter. Oh and they don’t melt in the rain or snow
I’m sure they are awesome in the snow too, equipped with snow tires. My wife asked me if the “4” means all wheel drive, and when I told her yes it does, she said that’s great, get rid of all of your cars and just drive a 4S. I laughed and gave her a look. Im just a car nut, and like a variety of driving experiences. I do need change time to time.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:00 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

RIP.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Interesting coincidence... I checked on my 991.2 today after being away for two weeks and the battery was dead. It was put away in late November. The car is new and I am using the same battery charger as you. It was also plugged into the passenger footwell 12V socket.

I couldn't get the frunk open; even after hooking up a serious starting battery charger to the divers side fuse panel jumper terminal.
I digress. I will get it fixed. Anyway, the dealer advised me that while storing, lock the car. It basically shuts the systems down and can help prevent a power drain like the one I experienced.
He also said that the charger needs to be turned on again after a power interruption. That probably happened to me. Anyway, keep checking that it is ON and charging and lock the doors.
sorry to hear that, but this makes sense. I have the cable running out of the corner of the passenger door, and did lock the car. Also, I did notice when I unplugged the device from the outlet and plugged it into another, the unit does NOT start charging. It just sits there, on, but instead of picking up from where it left off, you need to select the mode again, then it starts charging again. Your dealer is correct, a power interruption does stop it. At least now I know how this device works. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Put Away for Storage