Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If you use your phone you have to manually rebind it each time to use it (at least on my 2017). With Car Connect the connection is automatic. The most visible benefit I see is using Google Earth maps with satellite imagery, but you could easily get away without it. It is handy in unfamiliar areas since you can see all of the non-mapped side-roads, buildings, alleys, etc, in great detail. Overall it is a luxury that I can see skipping if you aren;'t interested in such things.

The data connection can be used to interact with the car from your phone,

I posted screenshots of most of the screens in my earlier thread at this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1056...l#post14870471.

Cyberbug's post certainly calls out some improvements that have been made since I did this. They've improved both the process of enabling these things and you no longer need to get the external SIM card in the later 2018 models.

Since I occasionally let my son take the car for special occasions (he's a very good driver!), I can use the app to set geo-fences and speed-fences on the car to keep an eye on him and to help discourage from getting a little too frisky with the car. When I take the car in for service I've also set fences and can tell if the car leaves the dealership. I can even tell if it is sitting out in the lot or is in the service area..,. which came in handy when I was getting unhappy with them for an extra-long dealership stay once.

Finally, since I sometimes like to go out solo for back-road aggressive drives in the Hill Country sometimes I like that if something does go wrong, the car will call for help for me. For me it is a worthwhile insurance policy .
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
I think it is bizarre that I can lock the car form my phone...but I can't unlock it. I see more need to unlock. Am I missing something?
Yeah, that is an oddity. Has to have been some lawyers' idea.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Here's a couple of photos I've taken of the Google Earth screen to help clarify what I was talking about there. It's a bit sharper in person

Old 01-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I will have to try connect plus when I get the car. I have been using car connect, I was able to see my car on the sitting at the dealer, I was able to see tire pressures, its got 11miles on it, I was able to see fuel and range. I was able to create a geo fence. I havent taken delivery yet.
only issue was that model showed up as carrera S on app, I called customer service snd they have forwarded it to tier 2.

the porsche connect app I still can’t login to, even though I can login in via website, nothing to do with the above.
Its always been an issue.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:07 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

I called Porsche and they added the vehicle to my connect account via vin number in a minute. I can now login to Connect app, which just connects me to Car Connect for more details.

Remember Car connect is free for a year with no automatic renewal

Connect Plus is 3 months free, that is the live traffic and google maps or anything the pcm needs internet for, including updates
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 AM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the free year, sort of used it...found out that having the ATT service wasn't necessary if I had car connect...I mean really, who needs a hot spot in a 911?

I use the speed and geo fence frequently (when I drop the car off and when I travel)...

I guess it boils down to personal preference, but I like having the location, and fencing options.

YMMV
Old 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I drive a Porsche. Waze shows the cops so that's what I use every time I drive it. Car connect whatever is worthless to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:17 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
I will have to try connect plus when I get the car. I have been using car connect, I was able to see my car on the sitting at the dealer, I was able to see tire pressures, its got 11miles on it, I was able to see fuel and range. I was able to create a geo fence. I havent taken delivery yet.
only issue was that model showed up as carrera S on app, I called customer service snd they have forwarded it to tier 2.

the porsche connect app I still can’t login to, even though I can login in via website, nothing to do with the above.
Its always been an issue.
You couldn't log in because it requires a pairing code to be entered in the car. Good to know there is a work around available.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:04 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

I called Porsche and they added the vehicle to my connect account via vin number in a minute. I can now login to Connect app, which just connects me to Car Connect for more details.

Connect Plus is 3 months free, that is the live traffic and google maps or anything the pcm needs internet for, including updates
Porsche said my 2018 came with 1-year free of Connect Plus. I confirmed via the online portal that 1-year of service is activated. That includes Google Earth, live traffic, online search, live weather, etc. Those are the features I use the most, and would consider paying for when renewal comes up.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yeah, that is an oddity. Has to have been some lawyers' idea.
Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
I think it is bizarre that I can lock the car form my phone...but I can't unlock it. I see more need to unlock. Am I missing something?
The feature is intended to be able to lock the car if you left it and forgot to lock it. You are able to lock it not being near the car. Unlocking it when you’re standing next to the car seems a bit pointless.

Read another post of someone who thinks connect is useless because it doesn’t warn for cops / speed traps ...
I guess some are missing the point here. If you are convinced connect is useless maybe this topic is not for you.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:23 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Lol...the intend of the post was to help those who are interested in it, yet folks need to put in the effort to post that they don’t care and are not interested.....Noted......LMAO
Old 01-19-2019, 08:31 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

car connect is free for a year, you can view and control certain functions via an app. Since its free no harm in trying. For additional cost you can add vehicle tracking and some other functions. You also get climate control. If interested you can look up what you get.
in my MBs, I got 5 years free. The functions I use most is vehicle tracking, in case I want to know where my wife is shopping. Or remote start. Unfortunately remote start is not available in 991.2

connect plus, you get live traffic and google maps plus hot spots. I only care about live traffic and google maps only.

don’t have to

this was meant to help those who are interested in getting it. Not to start another thread on pros and cons, plenty already on the forum
You also get Online Search with Connect Plus. I use that ALL the time. It is basically google search. Want to go to x place? Just enter the name of the place. Super fast and much easier than searching for an address. Also the real time traffic is a great addition with Connect Plus. Every time I have to drive a longer distance in traffic, just do Online Search for the location and the Real Time Traffic will re-direct you based on, you guessed it, real time traffic! It has saved me from hours in traffic so far.

Another nice feature of the "WiFi hot spot" is that my BlackVue cameras can upload footage to the cloud wirelessly.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

The feature is intended to be able to lock the car if you left it and forgot to lock it. You are able to lock it not being near the car. Unlocking it when you’re standing next to the car seems a bit pointless.

Read another post of someone who thinks connect is useless because it doesn’t warn for cops / speed traps ...
I guess some are missing the point here. If you are convinced connect is useless maybe this topic is not for you.

In regards to locking unlocking...definitely useless. There is more opportunity I would want to lock my wallet keys in the car and just take my phone with me like I can do with every other car I own. Furthermore...remote unlocking is awfully useful when you are on the outside without the keys.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol...the intend of the post was to help those who are interested in it, yet folks need to put in the effort to post that they don’t care and are not interested.....Noted......LMAO
+1
Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Connect Plus is actually free for a year if you set it up through Porsche, and the embedded SIM, which is pretty simple. The AT&T SIM card is only free for 3 months, but that card is totally unnecessary for Connect Plus services, unless you have some compelling reason to go that route. It is only necessary if you want a wifi hot spot in the car.

My first year is almost up, so I've got notices from Vodaphone about renewing the Car Connect services, but have decided to pass on them, as I can't recall ever actually using any of the services after setting them up on my phone. I suppose one could make a case for the emergency response service, but their pricing seems ridiculous to me. I have renewed the Connect Plus services through Porsche, which I got for $99 for the next year during a Cyber Monday sale. The regular cost is $189/year, which includes the internet connection. I tossed the AT&T Sim card the dealer put in, as I don't need a wifi hotspot.

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+