Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty related what ifs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:51 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

its so difficult to know that there is so much power just sitting there... Im really leaning toward tuning. Im sure ill be the outlier that will end up being the "dont do what i did" guy!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:53 PM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
Please provide more details on the mods and the failure. Did GM revoke the bumper to bumper warranty or just the drive train warranty?
It was a Lingenfter(sp) stage one kit which is a tune and pulley for the supercharger. Thrust bearing went out in the motor. Once the car was repaired.....new motor minus supercharger black list was lifted and car was sold with warranty to the new owner. But in the meantime all warranty was suspended on the car. Thank god the dealership warranted the car because the bill was in excess of 12k. Whole process took 8 months.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by YTownSpyder

It was a Lingenfter(sp) stage one kit which is a tune and pulley for the supercharger. Thrust bearing went out in the motor. Once the car was repaired.....new motor minus supercharger black list was lifted and car was sold with warranty to the new owner. But in the meantime all warranty was suspended on the car. Thank god the dealership warranted the car because the bill was in excess of 12k. Whole process took 8 months.
This is a painful deal, but what im getting out of it is that i can probably buy my way back into warranty coverage?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
This is a painful deal, but what im getting out of it is that i can probably buy my way back into warranty coverage?
I can only speak of my experience with GM. Once the car was repaired and brought back to original spec then warranty was valid.

Here is is the kicker of the whole ordeal. The dealership had a verbal authorization from the regional rep from GM that it would void warranty so the dealership proceeded with the work. This and only this is why the dealership covered the repair.

I recommend having a dealer do it, if they will. I am completely unaware of what PCNA will do. But to answer your question I was able to buy back in GM
Old 01-18-2019, 03:31 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Ok, so everyone says a tune can void the powertrain warranty. what about cat bypass?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:58 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Good idea to check with the dealer you plan to use, and talk to the Service Manager, not an Advisor. Some dealers are "mod-friendly" and they will tell you what they permit and what they do not.
Dealers don't permit or allow anything. PCNA supplies warranty on your car and it is their decision on whether a repair is covered by warranty. If you don't believe so, just ask your dealer to give you a written statement signed by a dealer principal that says the mod will not impact your PCNA warranty and if it does, they will cover the repair.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

But some dealers will allow one to put a car back to stock to cover a warranty claim, ask me how I know.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:22 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Cat bypass would fall into the emissions equipment part, and every document I've read on cars purchased state no tampering.

Bottom line, if you modify while in warranty and something bad happens, you're at the mercy of the dealer and the manufacturer. If you should have your warranty voided for an incident, you lose coverage for the whole car(?), lawyers/arbitration(?), is it worth it?

Personal choice I guess.

For other marques, there are aftermarket shops that offer their own warranties, some even work in concert with the OEM, those types of mods certainly would be appealing. There is the x51 kit which Porsche approved, maybe others can point out other options.

Quick Reply: Warranty related what ifs...