Sponsored by:

2013 991 Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM
fsutennis93
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 991 Steering Wheel Swap

I am taking delivery of a 2013 991S with 6100 miles on Thursday. The miles are so low I could not pass up on it.
That being said, I am having Hennessy in Atlanta install the PSE and do an inspection to be sure all is in line.
The car has a standard steering wheel with heat and I want to swap it to the sport design wheel and it does not have heat (do not need it in Atlanta). The dealer will not order the parts from Suncoast, will not order the wheel and non-heat module separately to put the wheel on. They will not install the wheel and module from Suncoast if I order it.
I am not going to Ellis because of a bad past history with their service.
I could do it myself, but the car would need to be coded with the non-heat module and the dealer will not do it.
Any ideas besides taking the car to Sarasota?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to consider skipping Hennessy altogether and have the PSE and steering wheel installed by an independent shop. I've heard great things about Freed Performance in Cumming (near me). I haven't used them, but I will if I need something fixed. I installed a new SportDesign steering wheel when I got my 2013 C4S last month and it was super easy. You bring up an interesting question about a heated steering wheel. How do you know if you have a heated wheel? I guess it was on your build sheet. It wasn't on my build sheet, but then again lots of things weren't (Sat radio, PDLS, heated/cooled seats, auto dimming mirrors...) because of packages that must have included them, so I'm assuming my old wheel wasn't heated.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM
fsutennis93
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info...

The build sheet has the car with a heated wheel, so I can only assume it is correct. I have talked to Suncoast and the car will need to be coded to a non-heated wheel if I put in the sport wheel and a dealer needs to do it.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Is it a multifunction wheel on the car now? I assume it is. You need more than just the wheel. You need the control stalk for the steering column (to control the multifunction screen on the dash), and you probably need a new clock spring as well.
And you'll probably need someone with PIWIS to tell the computer that you don't have the MF wheel anymore.

I'd find a different shop that will actually do what you're willing to pay them to do. This isn't hard, and you have money. Your dealer sucks.

Reading:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1031...ts-design.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9712...-swap-q-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8230...n-wheel-3.html

Personally, I'd go to the GT wheel from the 991.2 instead of the Sport Design wheel. You can keep the MF and heat, and you can get real paddles. I did this swap myself in the garage. You need the wheel, a new airbag, and the GPS adapter (to adapt the MF signalling). Works like a champ, and it looks modern and sleek.
Reading:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9943...a-991-1-a.html
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default jeep mechanic

My buddy is a jeep mechanic and he changed mine (no heat). ask them if they will code the wheel once its installed as it's just software programming they should. I have the sports design wheel with no controls which looks awesome. I would consider upgrading to the new MF sports design wheel.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Many Indy shops can code the change, just as mine can.

Quick Reply: 2013 991 Steering Wheel Swap