Sponsored by:

991.2 4 GTS - PDK in sport+

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 AM
Agu
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 4 GTS - PDK in sport+

Hi there, anyone feels the need to decouple PDK speed from engine management in sport+? I love using the car as a DD in sport+ but PDK is too rough, unnecessarily, in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn’t call it rough in mine, more “positive”. I tend to use Sport rather than Sport+ on the road as Sport+ appears to be more optimised for the track, where 50ms here-and-there adds up after a certain number of laps. Also, on a journey of any length, having the revs hovering around the limiter gets a bit wearing and reduces the range of the car considerably...
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine isn't rough at all in Sport+, but then again I shift it manually. If your complaint that it's too high strung because you leave it in auto mode?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

The shift points in Sports plus are more aggressive and higher in the RPM's. Unnecessary to use in this mode as a DD. I keep it in Sport and Auto for daily driving..
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Agu
AutoX

I shift manually, my complaint is relative to the roughness, even when shifting without flooring the throttle. I like the engine noise in sport+, especially when releasing the throttle. Moreover, there is the anti-lag.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

I've found that Sport + is best enjoyed on the street while manually shifting otherwise you will be rolling around everywhere at 4K-5K RPM lol
Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with a few of the preceding comments. Specifically, I don't mind the aggressive shifting in Sport+, but for DD I need to operate it in manual mode to avoid constantly driving near the red-line. My one disappointment is that in auto mode, Sport+ will allow manually upshifting to get to lower RPMs, but it overrides and downshifts after a few minutes. My previous car was an AMG C63s that had similar modes. In the equivalent of Sport+ / auto mode, it would not downshift after a manual upshift. Thus, you could get the benefit of the fastest shifts while not being forced to go full manual on the shifting. I wish Porsche would make that an option.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:12 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Agu
I shift manually, my complaint is relative to the roughness, even when shifting without flooring the throttle. I like the engine noise in sport+, especially when releasing the throttle. Moreover, there is the anti-lag.
That's interesting, how does it feel? Like a kick in the back? Mine feels about the same in Sport+ as it does in Sport. No roughness at all when manually shifting, no kicking, just shifting. Mine is RWD, but I wouldn't imagine there would be much of a difference compared to the 4.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 AM
Agu
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
I agree with a few of the preceding comments. Specifically, I don't mind the aggressive shifting in Sport+, but for DD I need to operate it in manual mode to avoid constantly driving near the red-line. My one disappointment is that in auto mode, Sport+ will allow manually upshifting to get to lower RPMs, but it overrides and downshifts after a few minutes. My previous car was an AMG C63s that had similar modes. In the equivalent of Sport+ / auto mode, it would not downshift after a manual upshift. Thus, you could get the benefit of the fastest shifts while not being forced to go full manual on the shifting. I wish Porsche would make that an option.
I don't mind going full manual on the shifting, in fact I like it that way. I just wish that aggressive shifting was related to the RPM: I don't see the point of a superfast shift at 3000RPM.

Originally Posted by reacher
That's interesting, how does it feel? Like a kick in the back? Mine feels about the same in Sport+ as it does in Sport. No roughness at all when manually shifting, no kicking, just shifting. Mine is RWD, but I wouldn't imagine there would be much of a difference compared to the 4.
It feels just like a kick in the back, much rougher than in sport mode. The 991.2 4 GTS CAB that I test drove 6 months ago was much smoother (even too much).
Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I only used Sport+ in my C2S on the track. (Same with sport mode in the GT3)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Same (GTS)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Agu
It feels just like a kick in the back, much rougher than in sport mode. The 991.2 4 GTS CAB that I test drove 6 months ago was much smoother (even too much).
Mine is a cab as well, but it seems strange that it would make a difference. Even my GT3 with the PDK in sport mode isn't rough like you describe, and that's a more hardcore tuned transmission than the GTS. I'm suspecting something is wrong, especially since you compared with another similar car and it didn't feel the same. I'd take it to the dealer if I were you.

My Huracan in track mode was more like you describe. That was a rough shift with a kick in the back. My PDK cars have never been like that in any mode.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Yes it's about sliding around. A bit dangerous on the street to me.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Yes it's about sliding around. A bit dangerous on the street to me.
Can you elaborate on the sliding around thing? I've not noticed anything different with traction control etc.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Sport+ reduces traction control. This is on purpose so you can slide around corners at the track.

Quick Reply: 991.2 4 GTS - PDK in sport+