Sponsored by:

DIY Car Audio Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Cysco

I have no doubt that the Musicar tweeters would make a noticable improvement over stock. The Dynaudio tweeters they use are supposed to be really solid and those guys really know their stuff. Or, if you ever wanted, you could buy a set of morel mt250 tweeters (~$350) and I could just print you a set of the brackets I made. :-)
I might be interested in that! Not sure how well the factory Bose amp would power those beautiful tweeters, tho
Old 01-14-2019, 11:27 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ991

Yes, I’m serious. The upgraded Bang Olufsen in my S5, is terrible and it has a subwoofer somewhere. It’s very clear, but no deep, smooth bass at all. The Q7 I have has a crappy system too. My Hellcat has a Harmon Kardon that is just cheap sounding. It actually has two 10” subs in the trunk, from factory, mounted where a spare tire would be. The bass is sloppy and too loud. The 911, when you turn it up just a bit, has a nice blend of everything. I do like it a lot.
​​​​​​The Bose does sound passable at higher volumes. But frankly, even the factory stereo in my Golf R sounds world's better.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, excellent work, well done...!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
John Perchun
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
I just want to tell that I just finished the installition of my new head unit for my Porche 911 2009
It was not easy but I am happy.
And yes its not spam i just want to save your time.
http://smarty-trend.com/447-porsche-911-997-2004-2012
Old 01-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Did you consider a head unit upgrade as well?

Don't want to change the OEM look so I'll likely do the Carplay upgrade to the existing PCM at some point. That upgrade looks promising.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:06 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Don't want to change the OEM look so I'll likely do the Carplay upgrade to the existing PCM at some point. That upgrade looks promising.
I just finished installing the unit from NM Automotive. Absolutely worth it! If you don't have a reverse camera, this is a fantastic way to add one as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Cysco
Racer

Originally Posted by koala
I just finished installing the unit from NM Automotive. Absolutely worth it! If you don't have a reverse camera, this is a fantastic way to add one as well.
cool! You end up doing the install yourself or did you farm it out?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

cool! You end up doing the install yourself or did you farm it out?
Did it myself. I consider my capabilities to be very amateurish so it took me a long time, probably 14+ hours. I have two young kids that like to '''help" so that adds time, lol.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm looking at doing a very similar audio upgrade. I'm waffling in what direction to go. I have a nice Pioneer head unit I've debated installing, but to be honest, I like the PCM 3.1 fine (and I don't miss Carplay one bit after using it for a couple years in my previous car).

Did you consider keeping the ASK amp and just upgrading the speakers to something a bit nicer?

PS: If you have a mulitmeter & your old speakers, I'd LOVE to know what they ohm out to... I'm guessing 4 but who knows? Internet doesn't offer any answers that I can find.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

this is excellent. and 2 -10's in that car must rock. agreed on the bose, too bad i have it as well, i would certainly do this. I did a very similar thing in my truck as you did here. JL audio all around. i love listening to music in that truck..congrats on the upgrade!
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Cysco
Racer

Originally Posted by flgfish
I'm looking at doing a very similar audio upgrade. I'm waffling in what direction to go. I have a nice Pioneer head unit I've debated installing, but to be honest, I like the PCM 3.1 fine (and I don't miss Carplay one bit after using it for a couple years in my previous car).

Did you consider keeping the ASK amp and just upgrading the speakers to something a bit nicer?

PS: If you have a mulitmeter & your old speakers, I'd LOVE to know what they ohm out to... I'm guessing 4 but who knows? Internet doesn't offer any answers that I can find.
For me, I was pretty set on replacing the amp from the get go. The only way I'd consider keeping it is if I was just doing a tweeter swap. That ASK amp isn't worth what it weighs (and it weighs next to nothing) If you are considering upgrading the door speakers, I think you basically have to do the amp too. There is no way that thing would be powerful enough to push anything larger in the doors.

If cost is of concern, I imagine you could piece something together with a 2 or 4 channel amp that runs through a passive crossover to a 3-way component system. The key would be finding the right component system with a woofer that is shallow enough to fit in the door so as not to interfere with the window sliding down.

I don't have a multimeter unfortunately. I'd guess that the base speakers are 4ohm, but then again I read that the bose setup is some mix of 2 and 1 ohm. Sorry I can't help you there.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM
flgfish
Pro

For me, I was pretty set on replacing the amp from the get go. The only way I'd consider keeping it is if I was just doing a tweeter swap. That ASK amp isn't worth what it weighs (and it weighs next to nothing) If you are considering upgrading the door speakers, I think you basically have to do the amp too. There is no way that thing would be powerful enough to push anything larger in the doors.
I found some information late last night... sound system comparisons
With speakers of decent sensitivity (>90dB), the amp (according to the link) should have plenty of power to push the speakers into very uncomfortable SPL level in our small cabins. Or so some back of the envelope math leads me to think.

If cost is of concern, I imagine you could piece something together with a 2 or 4 channel amp that runs through a passive crossover to a 3-way component system. The key would be finding the right component system with a woofer that is shallow enough to fit in the door so as not to interfere with the window sliding down.
It's not really cost. I can afford to spend whatever I want... it's more about diminishing returns. I could drop the $1500 on an amp and another $1500 on speakers, but I'm not sure I'd get 4x enjoyment over spending $500 on just speakers... especially given I really only listen to music in traffic, or on long highway cruises. I don't want more volume, just better sound resolution. The current speaker setup sound like we're listening to tunes through a door or something. Entire frequency ranges just seem missing.

Your build is sweet, though. How did you decide between the Morel 903's and the Dynaudio 362's? Woofer depth?

I don't have a multimeter unfortunately. I'd guess that the base speakers are 4ohm, but then again I read that the bose setup is some mix of 2 and 1 ohm. Sorry I can't help you there.
4 ohms is what the link above says, and that's what I was guessing. It's pretty standard.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you be willing to share the. STL file for the tweeter bracket? I have access to a 3D printer and could print them myself. I'll send you a pm.

Also do you see any problem using the Morel tweeters with a Bose system?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 PM
flgfish
Pro

Cysco and I have been exchanging notes, so I doubt he minds me posting this here. I upgraded my tweeters, and since nobody goes to the sound/video subforum, I figured I'd drop a link to the post from here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...r-upgrade.html

Old 02-24-2019, 01:56 AM
flgfish
Pro

I made some 3D printed adapters for the 4" mids in the doors & rear of the 991, and figured I'd share them in here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3449073
The following users liked this post:
msdos (01-04-2020)

Quick Reply: DIY Car Audio Speaker Upgrade