Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T + more power = the perfect driver's car?

Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by joshd
The AP has a 60-130 timer, but I don't know how accurate it is ... I guess I need a vbox!
It should just be reading the speed output from the ECU. That should just come from the wheel speed sensor. Can always calculate too with pretty high accuracy as we know the engine speed, gear ratios, and tire size.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 AM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dragy’s are a lot of fun and cost $150, and have a great app. Available on Amazon Prime.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:35 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Wish you were closer to get a ride in it. Currently debating on getting a T.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Wish you were closer to get a ride in it. Currently debating on getting a T.
Do it, you won't regret it! What are the other options you're considering??
Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXGold
Dragy’s are a lot of fun and cost $150, and have a great app. Available on Amazon Prime.
Oh nice, never heard of that before ... I will check it out!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
It should just be reading the speed output from the ECU. That should just come from the wheel speed sensor. Can always calculate too with pretty high accuracy as we know the engine speed, gear ratios, and tire size.
Yeah, I read on the internet somewhere that it might not be able to keep up with accurate speed measurements via OBD-II CAN bus in order to achieve a reasonable level of accuracy ... so it must be true!!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Carrera T + more power as perfect drivers car: 991.2 GTS coupe with MT, SPASM and the appropriate options also not a bad way to start...
I cannot disagree with this!! Truthfully, any 991.2 is a fantastic place to start ... they are all incredible driver's cars and now have even more potential in the power department thanks to forced induction! I do miss the sound of my 996 GT3 as it screamed past 8000 RPMs ...likely nothing will ever match that naturally aspirated aural euphoria again ... but the sound symposer does manage to play a lovely tune in the cockpit to my ears! Especially in sport plus mode.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Congrats OP, looks awesome.

Can you buy the pipes by themselves? I have a white car, so they will match nicely. . I have the AMS intercoolers, will the tial pipes fit?
Yes! You can buy any of these parts individually including the turbo inlets ... unfortunately you really don't see them once the car is all buttoned up, but they fit perfectly and provide what looks to be the absolute most airflow possible given the space available!!!

Please contact Jonathan Cohen at jonathan@mimotechnik.com with any inquires about the parts used for this project as well as the upcoming 3D AL printed headers that are soon to be added to the list!

Jonathan is extremely friendly and knowledgeable and did a lot if not most of the engineering and design of these parts. I once spent 30 minutes listening to how he spent months determining the exact angle of the intercooler installation for maximum airflow and cooling while minimizing pressure drop ... and I enjoyed it thoroughly ;-).

Additionally, if you are in the NorCal/Bay Area at all and interested in purchase/installation of parts or just looking for a great shop with a ton of Porsche experience for street and track, I can't recommend BR (Bruce and Rob!) Racing highly enough! Link to their site in the OP!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:13 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Its is very dependent on where you want the power and how you want it delivered - thats why the 991.2 series have different turbos. This is most obvious when you look at acceleration curves. In essence the smaller turbos don't deliver as well (at the top end) as the larger turbos. With smaller tuned turbos you get more torque in the low to mid-range and thus more power developed there. With progressively larger turbos you see the power better developed progressively further up the torque curves.

I'm in the camp "don't chase numbers, chase drivability"

There is quite a detailed thread on various Cobb tuned cars - its worth a read, also keep in mind the gains at the top end may not be as great as people think (based on times).

Enjoy the journey

I have no doubt there are people picking up Carreras (or others) for weekly duty and parking the GT3 for use at the weekend - that may well explain why so many are on the used market at the moment e.g. 991GT3/RS:991GTS = 45:15 (at least where I live as of today - our national market is about 400 911 deliveries PA).

Last edited by groundhog; 01-16-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:07 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Do it, you won't regret it! What are the other options you're considering??
718 Spyder or just keep my F430
Old 01-16-2019, 03:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Yes.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
joshd
Instructor

Its is very dependent on where you want the power and how you want it delivered - thats why the 991.2 series have different turbos. This is most obvious when you look at acceleration curves. In essence the smaller turbos don't deliver as well (at the top end) as the larger turbos. With smaller tuned turbos you get more torque in the low to mid-range and thus more power developed there. With progressively larger turbos you see the power better developed progressively further up the torque curves.

I've been fortunate enough to drive the T in 3 states of tune: stock, with the upgraded turbos/ICs/inlets/plenum plus Cobb stage 1 OTS map, then with all the parts and the proper tune for the kit.

What I can tell you from my perspective is that drivability has definitely not been reduced at all. With both the Cobb stage 1 OTS map and also with the 'all the beans' map, the driving character of the car and the way it makes and delivers power has not been altered, it's just been strengthened and enhanced. Personally, I was skeptical about this going in as well. I talked to Jonathan quite a bit and expressed my concern that turbos capable of delivering over 700hp would - by the necessities of physics - have more lag. Jonathan assured me that wasn't the case and he was absolutely right. I'm not exactly sure what voodoo is at play here, but taken as a whole package: inlets, turbos, I/Cs, and plenum, the airflow path truly has been significantly optimized. That plus DME tuning and throttle re-mapping wizardry have actually made the car feel MORE responsive than stock.

The stock car felt fantastic, and I almost scuttled my plans to upgrade the turbos because it was stronger than I expected and the drivability was just so good. But I have some philosophical beliefs (OK, some might call illness but work with me here) that lead me to want more power:

1) I feel that a modern Porsche 911 should be fast. It should be able to back-up it's name plate. It needs to be able to demonstrate to the 10 liter 110mm turbo-diesel pickup truck that it's a better sports car. Call me childish and ego-filled, but driving an otherwise amazing vehicle in all regards with ONLY! 370hp in this era just doesn't seem right. You can buy a Ford Explorer with more power. And now that they are forced induction, the marketing-based tiers whereby they limit a vehicle's capability via software to make sure it isn't faster than a cheaper model is much easier to defeat!

2) I like to have options ;-) I don't drive crazy on the street, but I've always loved cars that have a Jekyll and Hyde personality ... cars that can be mild-mannered and enjoyable to drive around town ... but when called upon, the mad man can come out and pretty much destroy anything. I just like knowing I have that option ...

And that's what I have now ... a fantastic drivers car that maintains the balance and personality imbued by Porsche, but has the extra strength to bend spacetime to my will on demand!!

There is quite a detailed thread on various Cobb tuned cars - its worth a read, also keep in mind the gains at the top end may not be as great as people think (based on times).
Dragy ordered ... should be fun!

Last edited by joshd; 01-16-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarAholic
718 Spyder or just keep my F430
Oh man, OK. So this comes down to whether or not you want the open air driving experience of the Spyder or the rigidity of a complete car ;-)

I love convertibles and own one (M4 vert), so if you live in the right place and enjoy top down driving - which is a thrill - then you have your answer.

I can help you on the F430 choice ... I've always wanted one of those, just sell it to me at a discount for the great advice and be done with it ;-)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah, I read on the internet somewhere that it might not be able to keep up with accurate speed measurements via OBD-II CAN bus in order to achieve a reasonable level of accuracy ... so it must be true!!
Hhahah Well, the Cobb datalogs are showing about 40hz sample rate. But when you look at the engine speed, it may read the same engine speed for 4 data samples though we know the engine speed is increasing. So there's some resolution error in the engine speed data. But it's still probably good for +/-0.1 seconds or so. Pretty good ballpark in the absence of better tools.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Hhahah Well, the Cobb datalogs are showing about 40hz sample rate. But when you look at the engine speed, it may read the same engine speed for 4 data samples though we know the engine speed is increasing. So there's some resolution error in the engine speed data. But it's still probably good for +/-0.1 seconds or so. Pretty good ballpark in the absence of better tools.
I need to find a good spot in the area for 'testing' and then I'll give it a shot and compare to the Dragy that I also bought!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carrera T + more power = the perfect driver's car?