Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T + more power = the perfect driver's car?

Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
Thanks joshd for posting this. I have a T arriving this week, and although I might never do the Cobb tune, it's great to know that it's available. Looking forward to more of your posts to see how your experience with the tune changes over time. Please keep us posted.
You are welcome and congrats on the T! I know you will love it!

It should be noted of course that these parts are designed for any non-GT 991.2 911 ... base, S, or GTS. So it makes it extremely enticing (for power junkies like me) to do something like buy a base Carrera and spend the extra money on crazy GT2RS-like power ... for a lot less than a '2RS!

Also - the prices on the parts are very reasonable for the level of quality, engineering, and performance ... Porsche tax not applied!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:07 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 69 Posts

Id be interested to know how it puts the power down? I'm trying to keep mine 'sensible' at 500PS and with the stock T turbos lag should be minimal. My 700PS 991.2 2RS struggles unless its a hot summer day and the tyres are cooking, it steps out all the time on a cold day and is less usable/enjoyable as a result.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
Id be interested to know how it puts the power down? I'm trying to keep mine 'sensible' at 500PS and with the stock T turbos lag should be minimal. My 700PS 991.2 2RS struggles unless its a hot summer day and the tyres are cooking, it steps out all the time on a cold day and is less usable/enjoyable as a result.
It's definitely traction limited in the lower gears, especially on anything less than a perfectly dry surface. I'm able to do a second gear pull to redline at full throttle on a dry road with warm tires without breaking traction, but it definitely feels like it's on the very edge of the traction limits ...

First gear I haven't even bothered to try full throttle to redline ...

Boost by gear would be fantastic, but I don't think the stock ECU is capable?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by joshd
It's definitely traction limited in the lower gears, especially on anything less than a perfectly dry surface. I'm able to do a second gear pull to redline at full throttle on a dry road with warm tires without breaking traction, but it definitely feels like it's on the very edge of the traction limits ...

First gear I haven't even bothered to try full throttle to redline ...

Boost by gear would be fantastic, but I don't think the stock ECU is capable?
It better be. I want first gear back.

The whole point of a Porsche is to have all the traction possible.. While I'm not at 700hp I still have an unusable 1st gear on stage 2 and I'm beginning to spin 2nd.

If I were you I'd be eyeing down matching or beating a 720s. You need first gear.

Love your build so far.. I like your style. All action.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM
BRracing
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Edits to our BLOG article made....Thanks for the heads up.
Bruce
BRracing
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BRracing
Bruce
BRracing
Old 01-14-2019, 05:34 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by joshd
Good catch! I did point that out to them ... Also, my previous GT3 was a 996, not a 991.1! I probably would not have sold a 991.1 GT3 for a T.
You might be surprised. Severral 991 GT3 owners have stated they prefer driving their Ts, even .2GT3 owners.

Originally Posted by 996AE
Anyone know if you can get aero package on the carrera t.

On the build it shows a sport package aero package but no pictures
Yes, you can get the sport aero package with front fascia and mini-ducktail. Not for me as I don’t want lower front clearance and I like the clean Carrera lines. But are there still changeable T allocations?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,180 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by BRracing
Bruce
BRracing
Congrats OP, looks awesome.

Can you buy the pipes by themselves? I have a white car, so they will match nicely. . I have the AMS intercoolers, will the tial pipes fit?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Carrera T + more power as perfect drivers car: 991.2 GTS coupe with MT, SPASM and the appropriate options also not a bad way to start...
Old 01-14-2019, 09:30 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Just curious, any consideration given to other engine and driveline limits? Bearing loads, piston ring sealing, oil flow and cooling, transaxle and clutch loading?
From 370 to 700+ is a big step.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
You might be surprised. Severral 991 GT3 owners have stated they prefer driving their Ts, even .2GT3 owners.
I haven't tried a T, but I would have sold my 991.1 GT3 every day of the week for my 991.2 GTS. No contest.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts

I guess I can understand this since my own GT3 had become too much of a track car for daily use ... and I wasn't getting enough track time with it either, so it made sense to sell and buy a much more comfortable and up to date 911 for daily driving. It just so happens that 2 generations later, the base Carrera probably performs on par if not better than the 996 GT3!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Just curious, any consideration given to other engine and driveline limits? Bearing loads, piston ring sealing, oil flow and cooling, transaxle and clutch loading?
From 370 to 700+ is a big step.
They can obviously speak to it in much more detail, but the TiAL/Mimo folks have done extensive testing on multiple test cars and there are a few other customer cars out there with these turbos at similar power levels with no issues.

I'm told the weak link are:

1) Traction ;-)
2) Clutch

Which is another reason (in addition to preferring a linear power delivery) why they deliberately limit the torque 'curve' to be flat through the midrange and not go for the typical turbo tuner car midrange torque surge.

Minus the slight change in turbos, the engine in the base Carrera, S, and GTS are the same ... so we know it can safely handle 450 without breaking a sweat ... and there is typically a lot of headroom/margin of safety from stock. Although another 250 hp on top of that is still a significant bump, no doubt!

That said, there is no free lunch and clearly the extra load will put extra strain on components and potentially reduce their lifetime ... I will absolutely be placing the car on an accelerated maintenance program and bringing it back to BR Racing on a regular basis for fresh fluids and checkups! It's probably worth having the oil sent off for analysis as well which I will likely do and share results!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! Went full bore and I love it!

How are you reading above 22.5ish psi if that is the limit of the stock sensor? Did bbrr replace the stock sensors or add an additional boost sensor? Are you sure that isn’t total pressure, as in you have to subtract standard pressure first to get actual boost pressure?

please be the first to go get some good 60-130 times with those M660’s. Dragy device and go!!!

excited for you as that is such a great project and know will be a blast for years to come.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 AM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXGold
Congrats! Went full bore and I love it!

How are you reading above 22.5ish psi if that is the limit of the stock sensor? Did bbrr replace the stock sensors or add an additional boost sensor? Are you sure that isn’t total pressure, as in you have to subtract standard pressure first to get actual boost pressure?

please be the first to go get some good 60-130 times with those M660’s. Dragy device and go!!!

excited for you as that is such a great project and know will be a blast for years to come.
Thanks! I'm not exactly sure how the boost pressure is calculated or what the limit of the stock sensor is, I would have to defer that one to the experts. I don't know if it's directly measured or derived from other inputs (or both in the case of some metrics it seems!). In terms of absolute versus above atmospheric, the picture in my original post showed the car hitting a peak boost of 40psi ... so about 25.5psi over atm or 1.74bar ... although most of my logs show it holding 36-38 psi absolute through most of the RPM range, so it's more like 1.5-1.6 bar.

The AP has a 60-130 timer, but I don't know how accurate it is ... I guess I need a vbox!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carrera T + more power = the perfect driver's car?