Sponsored by:

HPDE tire question (colder temp)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:50 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Dry, in 40s, you should be able to get them up to temp as the track gets hotter throughout the day. Wet, probably not. I'd start with much higher pressures than you usually do.

I'll probably gamble on a Chin event at NJMP in March myself - last week or so if the weather looks really bad I might just take the Sottozeros, otherwise I'll run the R888Rs.
R888Rs are my favorite tires. I havent found the need for them yet with my Targa 4 GTS with RAS and PDCC. I needed them in my modified ATS-V and then my Z06 even off the track on serious back road runs. I havent taken the 911 to the track yet though, so I am sure I will want to step up the grip after I do. Definately dont want the R888Rs in 40 something degree weather. However, may buy a set or a set of Trofeo Rs or R888Rs for June track day.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Edit:
I wouldnt want the R888Rs in low 40s all day but high 40s i probably wouldnt mind even though I would prefer the PZeros in high 40s.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:50 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Dry, in 40s, you should be able to get them up to temp as the track gets hotter throughout the day. Wet, probably not. I'd start with much higher pressures than you usually do.

I'll probably gamble on a Chin event at NJMP in March myself - last week or so if the weather looks really bad I might just take the Sottozeros, otherwise I'll run the R888Rs.
Define “much higher pressures than you usually do”! In my C4s, I’d start with comfort psi and probably go down from there as the tires heated up. Psi is psi. Doesn’t matter what the outside air temp is except that the rate and degree of change in psi will be effected by the ambient track temp. IMHO, you never want to come off the session above 33F 39R in a 991.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:22 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Define “much higher pressures than you usually do”! In my C4s, I’d start with comfort psi and probably go down from there as the tires heated up. Psi is psi. Doesn’t matter what the outside air temp is except that the rate and degree of change in psi will be effected by the ambient track temp. IMHO, you never want to come off the session above 33F 39R in a 991.
So as high as 33-34 I'd think if it's that cold, see if the OP can actually put enough heat in the tires (if it's both cold and wet, it might not be possible), and bleed it down from there. Should be easy to monitor with the in-car TPMS. In contrast, in hot summer weather I start 27-28 and target 35-36 hot, but I also run equal pressures front and back so really to each his own and YMMV.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:14 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

So as high as 33-34 I'd think if it's that cold, see if the OP can actually put enough heat in the tires (if it's both cold and wet, it might not be possible), and bleed it down from there. Should be easy to monitor with the in-car TPMS. In contrast, in hot summer weather I start 27-28 and target 35-36 hot, but I also run equal pressures front and back so really to each his own and YMMV.
i agree with you on this 100%.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM
ChaosHokie
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like I should sign up and it'll probably be ok as long as it's not freezing and/or wet!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
ChaosHokie
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
It’s a common misconception that one needs 1) to drive a Porsche and 2) be a member of PCA to sign up for PCA Potomac track events. The only requirement is that you have at least some previous track experience, which can include several Autocross events, or sign up initially for our High Performance Driving Clinic (also in March), which serves as a basic introduction. Prior to each HPDE cars must be tech inspected. We have a free “tech session” at a local shop one or two weeks before the event. These are enjoyable even if you don’t attend the track event.
Just a follow up on this... the only thing in March I found for PCA at Summit Point was the HPDC (which I might sign up for too). Maybe I just don't know what to search for...

EDIT: I figured it out...

Last edited by ChaosHokie; 01-14-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: HPDE tire question (colder temp)