Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE install - Can the button be placed in the middle?

Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts
Default PSE install - Can the button be placed in the middle?

I'm about to get PSE installed with the button to turn it on and off. Whenever I've seen after-the-fact PSE installs, the "tailpipe" console button always seems to be located 3rd in line on the right side:

I would like the button to reside in the factory-default, center location:

Is there any technical reason why a dealer couldn't place it this way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Just have to move the wiring connection for the button, so should be doable.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 AM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I opened the console switch assembly recently. I don’t think you can change the position of a button. There’s a harness that plugs into the assembly main board. All the button switches are on that board...
Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car has PSE stock, and I honestly wish it was located last on the right side so i don’t have to momentarily hunt for it.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Night vision goggles.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hokidachi
I opened the console switch assembly recently. I don’t think you can change the position of a button. There’s a harness that plugs into the assembly main board. All the button switches are on that board...
Interesting. Is it not just a bunch of settings in the PIWIS computer? I didn't realize there would be function-specific wiring in there. Something about this doesn't jibe with my mindset of how the PSE button is then "programmed" after install by the dealership using the PIWIS. I would think that the programming is done to assign the button to a function. And if that's the case for a new button, then other buttons could be assigned different functions via software, too...
Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Yes but it is an overly burdensome process. You have to buy that ENTIRE panel which will come with every possible button and a bunch of blanks. You can put the buttons in any order you like and the dealer will need to program,

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...X1CONSOLE.html
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Yes but it is an overly burdensome process. You have to buy that ENTIRE panel which will come with every possible button and a bunch of blanks. You can put the buttons in any order you like and the dealer will need to program,

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...X1CONSOLE.html
I get that you have to buy the whole panel, but that has to be done anyway just to get the PSE button.

But once the auto stop/start button is programmed from the factory, can it easily be moved down to leave room for the new PSE button? I'm probably going to have the full install done at a dealership. Will they do it or will they tell me it can't be done?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I get that you have to buy the whole panel, but that has to be done anyway just to get the PSE button.

But once the auto stop/start button is programmed from the factory, can it easily be moved down to leave room for the new PSE button? I'm probably going to have the full install done at a dealership. Will they do it or will they tell me it can't be done?
You cannot "just" buy that single button. It is only sold as a part of that set with ALL the buttons.

It's actually very easy to assemble the buttons in the new center piece. One beer job. Taking the old panel out and putting the new one are also incredibly easy. ~2 minutes. The challenge is that the dealer needs to do it since the new one needs to be programmed. You can install the individual buttons in any order you fancy and the dealer can program the functions of the buttons. You can place the order however you want; for any of the buttons.

The dealer shouldn't push back... My dealer was kind of a pain about the labor to assemble the button assembly. If you are particular about the order then better to do that yourself because if your dealer messes up you have to do the whole thing over and it really is simple to do for anyone even with no mechanical aptitude.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

You cannot "just" buy that single button. It is only sold as a part of that set with ALL the buttons.
I know. That's what I said.

The dealer shouldn't push back... My dealer was kind of a pain about the labor to assemble the button assembly. If you are particular about the order then better to do that yourself because if your dealer messes up you have to do the whole thing over and it really is simple to do for anyone even with no mechanical aptitude.
Well I'm not going g to ask the dealer to do everything for the install except the button placement, bring the car home to place the buttons myself, then bring it back to the dealer for programming... I'll just make the demand request that they put the button in the middle.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 AM
garfunkle
Banned

I know. That's what I said.

Well I'm not going g to ask the dealer to do everything for the install except the button placement, bring the car home to place the buttons myself, then bring it back to the dealer for programming... I'll just make the demand request that they put the button in the middle.
Yeah - we are talking past each other. You did say that, I read it but it just didn't register.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just done this project. Once you have the new button panel from Suncoast, you can place/move the buttons where you want. I put mine in the middle right just like factory OEM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:22 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Yeah - we are talking past each other. You did say that, I read it but it just didn't register.
Oh. That's a good idea. Prep the buttons before taking it in. If the parts come from me instead of the dealer, I will definitely do that.

If the dealer price matches Suncoast and uses their own parts I'll need to either request proper placement or order just the button panel from Suncoast to do your suggestion, then make sure the dealer doesn't charge me again for the panel!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Oh. That's a good idea. Prep the buttons before taking it in. If the parts come from me instead of the dealer, I will definitely do that.

If the dealer price matches Suncoast and uses their own parts I'll need to either request proper placement or order just the button panel from Suncoast to do your suggestion, then make sure the dealer doesn't charge me again for the panel!
ha - my last comment I typed like 3 times and re read your post and misunderstood. It's been a rough week personally and I'm not thinking straight...

That is what I was implying. My dealer wanted an hour labor to put the assembly together. I wouldn't have minded like .25/hour.... but 150$ for something that took me 5 minutes was a matter of principal. I also gave them the chance to be competitive with Suncoastparts. I don't expect them to even beat it, just get close and I'd rather spend money locally but I also want to be charged a fair price.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Indeed. But I do want the dealer to match. If they don't, I have a very good indy who I'm sure will do an excellent job. Then I'd take it in for programming. I'm waiting for an email back from them today.

The quote I got from Suncoast was a good one. I talked the rep into pricing out the individual parts from their kit and then removing the unnecessary exhaust tips. The price came down to ~$1800. I know it's probably possible to get the parts somewhat cheaper, but I don't want the hassle of figuring it all out and then praying I got all the pieces right.

Do dealers ever allow BYO parts? If they can't match on price, maybe I could bring in all the parts myself and pay them just the labor cost for installation... If they allow this, then I'll crack open the switch panel and set up the buttons myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSE install - Can the button be placed in the middle?