Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE install - Can the button be placed in the middle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Every dealer I have dealt with does not allow customers to bring in their own parts, even if they are in the original boxes since they say they cannot warranty the work, which is why I only use Indy shops for everything other than warranty work.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Indeed. But I do want the dealer to match. If they don't, I have a very good indy who I'm sure will do an excellent job. Then I'd take it in for programming. I'm waiting for an email back from them today.

The quote I got from Suncoast was a good one. I talked the rep into pricing out the individual parts from their kit and then removing the unnecessary exhaust tips. The price came down to ~$1800. I know it's probably possible to get the parts somewhat cheaper, but I don't want the hassle of figuring it all out and then praying I got all the pieces right.

Do dealers ever allow BYO parts? If they can't match on price, maybe I could bring in all the parts myself and pay them just the labor cost for installation... If they allow this, then I'll crack open the switch panel and set up the buttons myself.
I think were we are disconnected is the labor. 99% of the labor charge is going to be programming. Once you have the buttons assembled (3-5 minutes for a first time DIYer), that entire panel that the buttons site in are easily popped into place of the existing center panel. There's no need for multiple people doing anything. If your Indy has a PIWIZ, he can do the programming. <<< this is ONLY for the button/center console.

and AH! I get it now, you want a whole exhaust too and not just the center console button (light goes off for me). That makes a lot more sense to me [your posts] and yes the exhaust install is a little harder with the vacuum lines. If you're an S then it's a lot easier and should be no problem for any any indy. If it is a base then I'd stick with the dealer.

I really am trying to be helpful but not being very good at it today.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

LOL. Sorry if my posts have been confusing. I currently have the standard S, non-PSE exhaust. I'm planning on having my dealer or my indy install a full PSE exhaust, including console button. I'm not keen on installing it all myself. I don't have the experience or tools necessary if I end up with rust-seized bolts (which is very possible on my northeast, year-round car), and I don't want to deal with the hassle that others have been experiencing with routing the vacuum lines.

And my indy does NOT have a PIWIS or PIWIZ or whatever the acronym is...
Old 01-10-2019, 11:58 AM
garfunkle
Banned

LOL. Sorry if my posts have been confusing. I currently have the standard S, non-PSE exhaust. I'm planning on having my dealer or my indy install a full PSE exhaust, including console button. I'm not keen on installing it all myself. I don't have the experience or tools necessary if I end up with rust-seized bolts (which is very possible on my northeast, year-round car), and I don't want to deal with the hassle that others have been experiencing with routing the vacuum lines.

And my indy does NOT have a PIWIS or PIWIZ or whatever the acronym is...
It's not you. It's me... Found out this morning that divorce is immanent so I'm trying to distract myself.

I think an Autel can program it too but not confident on that.

It 'shouldn't' be a big deal to have your indy install everything except for the button panel and coordinate to drive to the dealer to have that done. The risk here is the finger pointing game if there is anything not quite right.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Try listening to Hearts and Bones. Paul Simon. Seemed appropriate. Unless you are, in fact, Art Garfunkle...
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting. Is it not just a bunch of settings in the PIWIS computer? I didn't realize there would be function-specific wiring in there. Something about this doesn't jibe with my mindset of how the PSE button is then "programmed" after install by the dealership using the PIWIS. I would think that the programming is done to assign the button to a function. And if that's the case for a new button, then other buttons could be assigned different functions via software, too...
You’re probably right, the dealership might be able to program the buttons the way you want. I was just saying that you can’t do this on your own by swapping cables and stuff.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM
Gibsomd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes; I had a dealer mis-install the button on my C2S
Old 01-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Yes but it is an overly burdensome process. You have to buy that ENTIRE panel which will come with every possible button and a bunch of blanks. You can put the buttons in any order you like and the dealer will need to program,

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...X1CONSOLE.html
I did this.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gibsomd
Yes; I had a dealer mis-install the button on my C2S
They put the button at the bottom of the right side stack instead of in the middle? Or they put in the button and it didn't work??
Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

when mine was installed it was put on the lower right .... did not know to ask them to put it in the middle (like stock) ... but it works fine. If I were to guess, putting it in the middle would require reprogramming the middle button to be PSE and the bottom button to do what the middle was doing.... and they took the easy way out to just program the new PSE....
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I was quite specific when I had mine installed by the dealer. I assumed there was a “correct” position if it had been factory installed so I asked for that. They didn’t blink when I laid out a very clear position request. I understood it just to be a case of matching up the button location on the PIWIS machine with the desired functionality and off you go. Point and squirt.

My dealer was very accommodating and very easy to work with (Princeton, I see you are in Central NJ as well).
Old 01-10-2019, 06:12 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

That's good info, Spider. Thanks! The dealer I'll be going to for programming is a bit further north. But if they give me trouble on it, I'll take the ride down toward you.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeearly
when mine was installed it was put on the lower right .... did not know to ask them to put it in the middle (like stock) ... but it works fine. If I were to guess, putting it in the middle would require reprogramming the middle button to be PSE and the bottom button to do what the middle was doing.... and they took the easy way out to just program the new PSE....
Originally Posted by spiderv6
I was quite specific when I had mine installed by the dealer. I assumed there was a “correct” position if it had been factory installed so I asked for that. They didn’t blink when I laid out a very clear position request. I understood it just to be a case of matching up the button location on the PIWIS machine with the desired functionality and off you go. Point and squirt.

My dealer was very accommodating and very easy to work with (Princeton, I see you are in Central NJ as well).
That's good info, Spider. Thanks! The dealer I'll be going to for programming is a bit further north. But if they give me trouble on it, I'll take the ride down toward you.
I have:
Left: Sport, Sport Plus, PDCC, PSE
Right: All the stuff I don't care about:P (Auto engine stop, spoiler, traction control)

If I were a track guy or less of a poseur I would have had Sport > Sport Plus > Traction on one side. PDCC and PSE are automatic with Sport plus anyway.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
Having just done this project. Once you have the new button panel from Suncoast, you can place/move the buttons where you want. I put mine in the middle right just like factory OEM.
Okay, to understand this correctly, if I (or an indy) install everything myself, including the center console new panel with the switches in the order I want, what happens when you start the car? Do all the buttons work EXCEPT PSE? Or NONE of the buttons work until all are programmed with PIWIS? I prefer nobody touches the car, hence install the center console panel myself. In fact, even if an indy does the PSE install, I'd leave the panel to myself.

I talked the rep into pricing out the individual parts from their kit and then removing the unnecessary exhaust tips. The price came down to ~$1800.
I noticed there's just ONE 991.1 PSE kit, but as we all know, on the base car, it requires the side mufflers too, so it has to be a lot more expensive, correct? The only kit I found is $2,6xx, if memory serves me right. The car already has the optional black tips, so don't want more tips either. My question for you is if the $1,800 quoted excludes both the side mufflers and tips, or just the tips. Or do you get the side mufflers anyway, and just need to throw them away if you own an S? Just curious.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything will work as usual except for the PSE button. That will have to be programed at the stealership. I paid $150 to get mine programed. BTW give Sonnon Porsche a try for a parts instead of Suncoast.

Quick Reply: PSE install - Can the button be placed in the middle?