Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

LOL Nothing wrong with you - they're all really good if you pick the right one for where you live and how you drive. I think the most essential factors are (a) it does something for you - the way it looks, how it sounds, its comfort level etc and (b) lots of test driving (c) configuring to your tastes and the not the SAs or the latest whizz bang websites piece of advice.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,742 Likes on 4,765 Posts

I daily’d a 991.1 GT3 for 3 years and nearly 30k miles, with about 5k track miles included.

Totally doable. And enjoyable.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Isn't the GTS considered a GT car? I thought it is but reading this thread made me think may be it is not.
No, it is not.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

In my opinion the best street cars are the 991.1 GTS and 991.2T.

The GT3 is a fantastic machine and I too drool over them but I know that I'd rarely get to actually use it whereas I can use my plain Carrera at a much higher % of it's capability with plenty of room to spare. IMO the GT3T is kind of poseurish.... I mean a track built car that removes the rear wing on a rear engine car that needs all the rear traction it can get to do its job? Because of that you'd never want to actually push one on a track and it's no more impressive on the street than a base 911. The suspension is surely brilliant but it's engineered to work with the aero. Remove the aero and its a compromised design. This is just my uneducated opinion.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle

The GT3 is a fantastic machine and I too drool over them but I know that I'd rarely get to actually use it whereas I can use my plain Carrera at a much higher % of it's capability with plenty of room to spare. IMO the GT3T is kind of poseurish.... I mean a track built car that removes the rear wing on a rear engine car that needs all the rear traction it can get to do its job? Because of that you'd never want to actually push one on a track and it's no more impressive on the street than a base 911. The suspension is surely brilliant but it's engineered to work with the aero. Remove the aero and its a compromised design. This is just my uneducated opinion.
Yeah but I still like it. I've got the poseur thing down, I daily a Raptor too lol.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Randy M
Yeah but I still like it. I've got the poseur thing down, I daily a Raptor too lol.
ha! No shame in that. I want one of those badly for about a week to get out of my system!

If you simply like it, that is enough. Like my post, this forum has no shortage of meaningless opinions.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I have owned my GT3 for almost 2 years now. Originally, I wanted the the car for the street, using it in warmer dry weather and for track days. I did so and after a few months decided to modify it to be more suited for the track. I was simply frustrated with driving it on the street. There is no where in the NYC area to use its power, the roads suck, traffic is unbearable and there are police everywhere. In my view, the GT3 does not work as a DD for me in any persuasion (wing or wing delete). For my driving, the base NA or .2 base is the best DD 911. Anything with more power driven on the street is just an ego boost and not very practical in my situation.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ha! No shame in that. I want one of those badly for about a week to get out of my system!
Hah, if you have a Raptor for a week you might get hooked. I bought one expecting to use it only now and then, but it became my daily. Seems like every sports car owner has a Raptor these days, lol.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Great post!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:15 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's be real 99% of porsches are poseurish lol

I get what you are saying about the reduced downforce, but the effect is much less than you would imagine. From Car & Driver's review of the Touring: At top speed of 198 mph the touring produces 110 pounds of down force while the winged GT3 produces 342. That is significant obviously, but that is at a speed that very few GT3s will ever reach, even on the track. At 120 mph the difference in down force is 44 pounds for the touring and 152 for the wing and as you reduce speed the difference becomes a lot smaller. Still not insignificant but I believe that for the vast majority of GT3 owners the limiting factor is definitely driver skill rather than the compromised aero of the Touring
Old 01-09-2019, 08:18 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
I have a 2017 GTS and my best friend has a 2018 GT3 Touring. I love the front bumper and splitter on the GT3 but wouldn’t trade it for the backseat in my GTS. The NA vs. turbo debate is perpetual and more emotion than anything else because on the track these cars are neck and neck (the power curve between turbo and NA gives each car an advantage where the other does not). I’d really like to have the dry sump in the GT3. I’d be fine with either car, they are that close. I’d pay the markup on the GT3, along with the dealer premium.

He sold his GT4 when he ordered the Touring Edition and still bemoans the fact that the GT4 was more fun on the track.
Easy to see the GT4 being more fun on track given it probably feels that much smaller and more tossable. I went from a Cayman GTS to a 991 Turbo, I love my 911 but it definitey feels like a larger Gran Tourer powerhouse compared to the smaller, nimble 981 Cayman.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Sammydtd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too fell in love with a beautiful black GT3 with only 2,000 miles before settling on my GTS 4 Cab...we have a lot of city driving, and yes I have other cars in the stable (GL and wife's Cayenne) but I really wanted to daily my 911 after barely driving my AMG GT (2,000 miles in 2.5 years). So the back seat (3 kids, not always with me but they love riding in it with the top down) along with the more comfortable suspension and confidence inspiring AWD ticked all the boxes for me. The GT3 would have been a purely emotional purchase, although that car was the only 911 that had enough drama on the road to completely make me forget there AMG. The 911 GTS, especially in AWD guise is just too perfect of a sports car...

Plus can a GT3 do this?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 991.1 GT3 and didn't love it on the street because I prefer a manual. Also, built a track car so wasn't planning to track it anymore.

On track, the GT3 is mind boggling.

Traded for a GT4 to get back to a manual - much more enjoyable for me for street driving because I preferred to shift it myself.

Wanted to do a euro delivery with my dad so traded the GT4 for a 991.2 GTS with a manual transmission.

The GTS is a great street car but the engine is not even in the same league as a GT3 motor IMO. However, I still really enjoy driving it and it is a slightly better daily driver for my purposes.

I tried to get an allocation for a 991.2 GT3 with a manual but did not want to pay mark-up. The price delta between the GTS as I built it and a GT3 was about $25,000 - but with mark-up it was A LOT more $$$.

So, I think if you really want a manual and can get a 991.2 GT3 manual - the car is totally drivable on a daily basis. I put over 12,000 street miles on my GT3 and over 10,000 on a 996 GT3 (that car is more hard core).

The regular 911s are for sure more comfortable - depends on your tolerance for a stiff ride.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Let's be real 99% of porsches are poseurish lol

I get what you are saying about the reduced downforce, but the effect is much less than you would imagine. From Car & Driver's review of the Touring: At top speed of 198 mph the touring produces 110 pounds of down force while the winged GT3 produces 342. That is significant obviously, but that is at a speed that very few GT3s will ever reach, even on the track. At 120 mph the difference in down force is 44 pounds for the touring and 152 for the wing and as you reduce speed the difference becomes a lot smaller. Still not insignificant but I believe that for the vast majority of GT3 owners the limiting factor is definitely driver skill rather than the compromised aero of the Touring
Ha - so true. Mine included. (Poser). Although I do take it to the mountains for intentional driving to nowhere, my car won't see the track. I just don't enjoy the track (flame away if you like but I'm just being honest about what I like) and love mountain driving and group drives with the top down.

When people talk about a GT3 in the 991 forum, the engine and not gearbox are the main points of discussion.... but such a small part to the equation.

The real magic in the GT3 which [unlike the witchcraft of an engine/exhaust sound] just can't be appreciated on the street and it's the suspension and the way the suspension is put together. if you track a car regularly then you know there are many more consumables and much more significant maintenance than a street car and the GT3 is built for this abuse. The geometry is different, the connectors and bushings are all different, etc. etc. This is why it's the ultimate race on Sunday, drive on Monday 911.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on what you want. I was looking to replace an F430 with something that felt like I always thought my F430 should drive like. I now have a GT3.

However, if I didn't already have a Macan Turbo and only had only garage space it would've been a 991.2 GTS. It's a fantastic all around car. It has better low end torque for daily driver duties than the GT3 and adds a little bit of passenger comfort as well (the driver won't care).

Just don't drive a GT3 if there isn't a chance that it can actually be in your garage right now.

Quick Reply: GTS vs GT3