Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I need to get my ECU unlocked...
Old 01-08-2019, 04:48 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I'm back. Everyone else is most likely in bed. Its lunchtime here.

So I loaded it up. Drove about 30 miles, going up and down the gears, and gave it on good squirt in 4th and 5th. Parked the car, let it sit for an hour. Got back in drive another 3 miles and then did two logs.

First off, it feels smoother and more refined. However, the car is louder. The tune definitely knows it has sports cats now or visa versa. I was hard under it and backed off in fourth and for the first time I heard the wastegate flutter from inside the car. People had said they heard it outside, but I have never heard it from inside. That was a first. Smooth is fast, so it can be a little deceptive. It has more grunt around 4,000 rpm. Because it pulls so hard there, it feels like it doesn't have enough top end. But again, smooth is fast. The raw edges have been smoothed out. I won't be able to say how much faster it really is until I get to the track. Also at the track, it will benefit more from some nicer blends.

Its a nice incremental step. There is always more to be done. Thanks COBB, love your work.
Agreed. feels Just uploaded stg.2, Ive done mostly hwy miles but the power increase is noticeable. Theres definitely more power under the curve, very smooth as you've indicated, but its under the curve as opposed to the top which is in line with what we've been seeing on the available dynos. I also agree the car is louder with mechanical noises.

Also as before, 2nd and 3rd gears feel extremely strong, espcially when giving it aggressive throttle when casual cruising.

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Since Jared let the cat out of the bag, one of the goodies I got was a revised Launch control that has higher rpm and more boost at launch. I cannot wait to get my dragy and see what this thing does 0-60 and quarter mile. Should be here Thursday and if it arrives early enough I will post results Thursday night. Whoo hoo..

BTW: I now notice that after the pro tune that both Sports and Sports plus modes have the gurgle whereas before tune it was only on Sport +

I haven't tried launching since uploading but I was having traction issues with Stg.1 launches already.. wonder how the Protune will be
Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

When you get a chance checkout the specs on the new 992's because Porsche has gone up on the compression and went with even bigger turbos so I know our internals are strong. That being said the tune is Very important and other mods that will help the turbo's efficiency... My plan is to with the Pure's coming out soon...
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

Here you go PTS-BRG. Spdracerut was good enough to look at my logs and plot them with yours. What do you think?

The main differences is I have Vektor Headers, Akra Cats and IPD and AMS IC. You have Kline. No IPD and No AMS IC. We both have BMC.

Green line is 4 Point 0
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Agreed. feels Just uploaded stg.2, Ive done mostly hwy miles but the power increase is noticeable. Theres definitely more power under the curve, very smooth as you've indicated, but its under the curve as opposed to the top which is in line with what we've been seeing on the available dynos. I also agree the car is louder with mechanical noises.

Also as before, 2nd and 3rd gears feel extremely strong, espcially when giving it aggressive throttle when casual cruising.

I haven't tried launching since uploading but I was having traction issues with Stg.1 launches already.. wonder how the Protune will be
Hey Method, I'm also having traction issues with the tune. What tires are you running? My Cup 2's gave me 2 wicked launches at the track but since they've worn a little and it's colder they don't do squat.

I had made a long time request to COBB to possibly include boost by gear on the protune or at least limit first gear to stock boost.. That way we can keep our solid launch the way it comes from the factory.

The 4GTS guys are lucky when it comes to launching!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Hey Method, I'm also having traction issues with the tune. What tires are you running? My Cup 2's gave me 2 wicked launches at the track but since they've worn a little and it's colder they don't do squat.

I had made a long time request to COBB to possibly include boost by gear on the protune or at least limit first gear to stock boost.. That way we can keep our solid launch the way it comes from the factory.

The 4GTS guys are lucky when it comes to launching!
I run Cup 2's. I haven't tried launch control with stage 2 as yet. I only ever tried it once with stage 1 and it was epic. I usually just roll on the throttle, and it launches plenty hard enough.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:54 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

4 point 0: I have repeatedly stated that I am not a chart reader, but based on the excitement of your post and detailed listing of your parts, I am going to assume your car is producing better figures than mine.
I am also going to assume that you are alluding to your Vector Headers or IPD plenum being the deciding factors. If this is your position, then let me help you disprove it..

My car was on the dyno for over 2 1/2 hours straight. The final pro tune dyno chart you see was after 45 pulls. Was my car heat soaked? You bet it was severely heat soaked.
I then went out and did data logging. You also have a full intercooler kit to significantly reduce heat.

So, the answer to me is very simple.. My car was heat soaked yours was not. I may not be a tuning expert, but do you think it is possible that an over the shelf generic stage 2 tune can produce an improvement over a nearly identical vehicle with a pro tune BY THE GUY WHO WROTE THE SOFTWARE?!

If SPracerut would be so kind as to let me send him a clean, first run data log when my car is cold then I would accept your findings.
Is that fair? I may even be able to do it as soon as tomorrow.

spdracerut..care to chime in? What do you think?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Here you go PTS-BRG. Spdracerut was good enough to look at my logs and plot them with yours. What do you think?

The main differences is I have Vektor Headers, Akra Cats and IPD and AMS IC. You have Kline. No IPD and No AMS IC. We both have BMC.

Green line is 4 Point 0
I would note the calculations are strictly based on time vs. speed. So if one road is slightly uphill or downhill, if there's a headwind or tailwind, etc. it changes the numbers I also had to estimate each vehicle mass + driver. 4_point_0 did have much higher IATs because it's summer in Australia right now, like 30F hotter. But warm air is a little thinner to slice through. 4 point 0 also did 4th gear pull vs PTS 3rd gear pull. Not to mention, I drew in lines by eyeballing it based on the 5-point moving ave line plotted in excel. So, bit of rough approximations
Old 01-08-2019, 10:57 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

can you explain in layman's terms what is what in the comparison between both cars? I am curious
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

If SPracerut would be so kind as to let me send him a clean, first run data log when my car is cold then I would accept your findings.
Is that fair? I may even be able to do it as soon as tomorrow.

spdracerut..care to chime in? What do you think?
Dude, absoloutely. Send as many as you want. We are just testing. The more data the better. I was heading out shortly to do another run as well. SPD noted that its summer here and my Intake temps were 30 degrees F higher than yours.

Just stating facts. Also my car was a 4th gear pull. He wants me to do a 3rd gear pull so they can be directly overlaid.

I was ribbing you slightly, and I still believe that the vektor headers are superior. The IPD mention was just for giggles. I don't believ its the IPD either. Its the Vektor headers and perhaps the akra cats The cars are very similar other wise.

I'm all for more data. Cheers
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

PTS: Maybe your car is producing less power due to AWD instead of RWD?.. You're getting less power to the wheels due to extra drivetrain loss. This is factual and not a poke at you.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I didnt even think of the gears. I always test in 3rd. I was told that you should do it in 3rd because if tested in 4th we would hit 140mph!
I am also getting a Dragy Thursday or Friday and will have the grade of the road as verification of the road being level or not.

Maybe I am wrong but intake temp is ambient air temp but, not the same as the engine temp. Yes, cooler air produces better results but, if the engine is already overheated then it doesnt matter much.

Finally, is your chart producing more HP/Torque than mine? It looks like mine is higher on both..

Psourcery: Maybe the AWD is in fact increasing drivetrain loss. From a standstill it would probably have better 0-60 due to traction. Dragy will tell the story..

THX
Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

As I'm sitting here reading this thread I can't help to wonder which one is sticky using another name since he has been banned from several other web sites like this..
Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Finally, is your chart producing more HP/Torque than mine? It looks like mine is higher on both..

THX
The Green car is a lot faster than the Blue car. The Red car is the dark horse, if it weren't for the drop off on the end, it is the clear winner. But it drops off when the Green ifs full power. I would refine the Red one and take it.

Relax man, we are just testing and comparing. We are a long way from home. There will be many revisions and many tests. I will do a 3rd pull so its easier to compare. You do the same when your car is cool.
At this early stage in the game, we are all just learning where to improve this platform.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:14 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmo1
As I'm sitting here reading this thread I can't help to wonder which one is sticky using another name since he has been banned from several other web sites like this..
You're the most likely candidate due to low post score. He does chime in frequently but always a new account and very low post score before someone recognises him. COBB knows our real names. So they wouldn't be giving him stage 2 lol.

Hi I'm Mark or MJ. Hahahah. No Sticky here.

Quick Reply: Cobb Pro Tune for 991.2.. Its ready