991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Pro Tune for 991.2.. Its ready

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM
sagerdyn
7th Gear

Location: One both sides of the Globe most in the air as lone they have WIFI on board
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tecni
2018 Carrera S... Orlando Speed World

When do you go next time i would love to see the car ruining and get in a talk
Old 01-17-2019, 11:57 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Whats 130 MPH? GTS with Vektor headers and Stage 2.

130 MPH
Excellent work considering the heat down there right now. Definitely looking forward to getting your tuner some ATP access to tweak the tune even more for you!

Originally Posted by groundhog
Nice work - I thought you'd crack the 130

543HP at the crank nearly 100HP gain over stock - impressive

Not bad for a grocery getter
Think you might be underestimating a bit since I believe you're still basing this off a 3000lb car weight? Curb weight for a .2 GTS is 3241lbs and 4.0 has admitted he's a big boy (don't feel too bad, I have the widest RaceTech seat you can buy shoved in my 987.2 track car- big boys unite!) so we'll be nice and call him ~200lbs and round up to 3450lbs just for fun. 10.8 @ 130mph and that weight makes him closer to about 590ish + crank. Definitely looking forward to some more slips and excited to get custom tuning abilities out to your tuners so you guys can really start dialing things in.

Thanks!

~~~~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 01-17-2019, 01:06 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Think you might be underestimating a bit since I believe you're still basing this off a 3000lb car weight? Curb weight for a .2 GTS is 3241lbs and 4.0 has admitted he's a big boy (don't feel too bad, I have the widest RaceTech seat you can buy shoved in my 987.2 track car- big boys unite!) so we'll be nice and call him ~200lbs and round up to 3450lbs just for fun. 10.8 @ 130mph and that weight makes him closer to about 590ish + crank. Definitely looking forward to some more slips and excited to get custom tuning abilities out to your tuners so you guys can really start dialing things in.

Thanks!

~~~~Jared
Another reference point, Road and Track did a 10.6@130.3mph in the Turbo S which is rated at 580 crank. The 0.2 second difference is easily in the launch.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Tecni
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sagerdyn
When do you go next time i would love to see the car ruining and get in a talk

it wont be for a little bit since I’d like to get a second set of wheels, drag radials, air filter and turbo manifold but I’ll give you a heads up so we can meeet up.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is awesome PTS, Tecni and 4pt0. So great to see these slips!! Especially from the little S, Tecni! My manual has a Dragy 1/4 mile best of 11.04 @ 127.44 but wasn't;t a drag strip. Dropping the car on Monday so we can add and external boost gauge since the stock gauge stops reading at 22.6psi. Plus need to get a couple torque limits removed and some timing figured out. My WG cycle is mid 60's and hopeful once timing is figured we can add boost and not just be throwing heat at it.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,186 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
SPD: You are correct about the clutch force. Thats is what the PDK adaptive program does. It allows the clutch force to increase without slippage.

4 point 0: I am running 11.04 in the 1/4 mile on the road with all season radials and documented clutch slippage.
I dont think your headers are doing any more for your car than the Kline are doing for mine, In fact, I would argue that proper rubber, warm asphalt and a clutch that doesn't slip would probably reduce my time by more than .20 seconds. So, your car is fast with Vektor headers, not because of Vektor headers.. Oh, dont forget my car is also 325lbs heavier
PTS, the point 2 is just practice. In all fairness, I should disclose that two decades ago, I was a drag racer. So I may have a little more experience in this area. So don't worry about the time, that's more about the driver. I am more interested in the MPH, as that is about the car. Everyone should go down the strip at least once with every car they own. Its an experience. But we all know these cars are not drag cars. We can build things way faster for far less money. Its just nice to get a MPH for your car. My car is more about being an all rounder. I want one car that does it all well. It will never be a drag racing champion. But it will do well in all areas.

I am having the track widened today in preparation for our private track day in a few weeks time. Putting all those elephant racing adjustable bars to good use.

TX GOLD - Torque limits removed. That is the path.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Follow up on my situation:

Somewhat good news.. My car is putting down a great deal more HP and Torque than was expected. As a result the car's PDK clutch is slipping which causes traction control to engage then slipping again. The solution is to get the PDK reset. Apparently, Porsche has a program called P something that allows the clutch to adapt to what the engine is producing. If its producing more HP and Torque then this program will allow the PDK to essentially tune itself. This is not a PDK tune, it will be factory PDK but this program will allow the clutch to adapt to what the tune is putting out. Its call PDK clutch adaptation. Hopefully getting it done before the weekend, it takes about 20 minutes. Stay tuned
How is this reset done? Im interested to know more about this as I expect many of us will require it after pro tuning. Im guessing C2 RWD owners will probably see traction loss much sooner and less clutch slippage, at least with the initial power levels available with Pro tune.

Is this in anyway related the the TB flutter we are seeing on the data logs? Is the DME trying to control the power output in order to keep it manageable for the transmission settings?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 AM
sagerdyn
7th Gear

Location: One both sides of the Globe most in the air as lone they have WIFI on board

Originally Posted by TXGold
That is awesome PTS, Tecni and 4pt0. So great to see these slips!! Especially from the little S, Tecni! My manual has a Dragy 1/4 mile best of 11.04 @ 127.44 but wasn't;t a drag strip. Dropping the car on Monday so we can add and external boost gauge since the stock gauge stops reading at 22.6psi. Plus need to get a couple torque limits removed and some timing figured out. My WG cycle is mid 60's and hopeful once timing is figured we can add boost and not just be throwing heat at it.
Just as a hint i think this is stupid you should just reprogram the cluster so it can show more.
There are People that do this google it
Old 01-18-2019, 05:11 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sagerdyn
Just as a hint i think this is stupid you should just reprogram the cluster so it can show more.
There are People that do this google it
not the cluster the actual sensor. It’s limited to 22.6psi or less readings. Not the boost gauge on the cluster. Thanks for the hint tho big guy.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

If the sensor used by the ECU can’t read high enough then you can’t control boost properly, that can’t be the case?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

M3THOD: Cobb has commented in this thread and I am really just repeating what they are telling me. Perhaps they can answer the question intelligently so those who are interested can understand what they are asking to be done. From a layman perspective, its basically resetting the PDK parameters so that it may compensate for the more power by adaptive learning. P-Wiz is the name of the program used by Porsche.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

PIWIS
Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 PM
sagerdyn
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TXGold

not the cluster the actual sensor. It’s limited to 22.6psi or less readings. Not the boost gauge on the cluster. Thanks for the hint tho big guy.
The sensors are both full digital and use sent Protocol to communicate with the ecu.Both are rated to 3500 mbar (50.7) absolute means 2500 mbar (36.2) boost on sea level
ECU Code (Program part SDI21.2) can calc max 3520mbarOn the CAN BUS you will find boost corrected and boost raw value
And just by the way if you would run more boost on the engine than the sensor can measure than you would drive uncontrolled boost very bad.And in the case form the 3,0L even worse because Airmass cala is made by the difference between the two sensors.

Just look up the spec of the sensor… 0261 232 012

Last edited by sagerdyn; 01-20-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:50 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Haven't posted on this thread for a little while, but I have some more info and wanted to update this topic.

The Cobb tune is creating significant increases in HP and torque. Here on the East Coast the temps are cold and the car is producing even more power than previously tested.
I was told that the car in cold weather like this is producing about 10% more than cars in the warm weather. As a result, the stock PDK tune is being pushed to its limit.
What is happening is that the clutch is running out of pressure at max RPM/HP/ Torque and about 500-800 before redline (primarily in 3rd gear) it is not catching initially and then hooks up.

The clutch is NOT slipping. It is NOT unable to handle the power. In fact, it can handle much more than my car is putting down. It just needs a small tweak to beef up the pressure so the car
can shift smoothly under higher power.

Cobb is aware of the issue. My mechanic has also flashed the PDK and will send Cobb all of the data in order to help them find a solution ASAP.
I suspect that this may throw a wrench into the release of Pro Tune, but perhaps it will not. That's the latest info I have and I will follow up in this thread as soon as I get some information
Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

For those who like graphs, notice the drop in pressure in 3rd gear with that sharp dip:

Quick Reply: Cobb Pro Tune for 991.2.. Its ready