Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone put 101+ octane in their 991?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Has anyone put 101+ octane in their 991?

I was on family vacation this week in a rental Jeep Grand Cherokee. Stopped at a roadside Sunoco and was astonished to see that they sell 101 octane gas! I have never seen this or I guess been to a Sunoco station in my home state of California. Started talking with a guy at the pump who was filling up his '15 P TTS. Seemed pretty knowledgeable and said the car's ECU 'adjusted' to the higher octane and produced about 30 extra hp. Does this sound correct? Can you see any 'seat of the pants' difference in a normally aspirated car with 101 vs 91 octane gas?? I would love to try a tankful of this in my GTS but I came home and googled Sunoco only to find there is no station within 100 miles of me

J
Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

It will definitely wake up Turbo cars. For your GTS you should see a smoother pull throughout the powerband and a little bit more up top.. Nothing like 30whp though.

Some say the 30hp bump in the GTS is negated by the low quality CA fuel. These cars are built for 93 octane truly.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Only way you'll see any advantage is if you have a tune for the higher octane above 93.

That guy was smoking dope, or has a tune to take advantage of the 101. No way he's getting 30 extra HP with a stock tune and 101.

You might feel a slight bump from 96 over 93 but you'd have to be really looking for it. Might run a little cooler on a high load day (think DE) on a hot day.

Here's the dirty secret most don't know. High octane (100 and above) has trace lead even when they say "unleaded". You can see it on a UOA.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:38 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

My 3.8 LOVES 93 non ethanol. When I mix 93(~10% corn) + 100 half and half, the car loves that too.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Another problem with race gas high octane is freshness. How long has it been sitting in the station's tank? It's not like people are pumping up often with +$9.00/gallon fuel.

At a race track, yes, that fuel would be fresh.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

The way it has been explained to me by Tuners is to use the fuel it is tuned for. If your car is tuned for 93 then use 93. You can use higher ratio, but not going to get real benefits if you are not tuned for it.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Only way you'll see any advantage is if you have a tune for the higher octane above 93.

That guy was smoking dope, or has a tune to take advantage of the 101. No way he's getting 30 extra HP with a stock tune and 101.

You might feel a slight bump from 96 over 93 but you'd have to be really looking for it. Might run a little cooler on a high load day (think DE) on a hot day.

Here's the dirty secret most don't know. High octane (100 and above) has trace lead even when they say "unleaded". You can see it on a UOA.
Thanks for the input Lex and others....actually the guy said he had a tune and it sounded like a nice exhaust as well. He said his car had about 700 hp which i guess included the 30 extra from the 101 octane. We were joking that his turbo had about the same hp as a 2RS for a lot less $. He probably would have been interested to know about traces of lead in the unleaded fuel. I wonder if this would affect the cats over time. Are there any Kalifornians who know where we can get even 93 octane? One more reason Kalifornia stinks

Jim
Old 01-05-2019, 09:13 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

I dont think you can buy 93 in california. You can get an additive or maybe get a drum of race gas shipped to you to mix with your fuel and bring up to 93. I would suggest moving though. I honestly would rather live in another country as to live in that crazy liberal and bankrupt state. Just sayin
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

^^This is correct.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Thanks for the input Lex and others....actually the guy said he had a tune and it sounded like a nice exhaust as well. He said his car had about 700 hp which i guess included the 30 extra from the 101 octane. We were joking that his turbo had about the same hp as a 2RS for a lot less $. He probably would have been interested to know about traces of lead in the unleaded fuel. I wonder if this would affect the cats over time. Are there any Kalifornians who know where we can get even 93 octane? One more reason Kalifornia stinks

Jim
Found this map that covers the US-apparently I can get 100 octane in San Diego
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1385950

So if I mix a few gallons of this will I see a bump? Recommendations on ratios?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 PM
HalfMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
I dont think you can buy 93 in california. You can get an additive or maybe get a drum of race gas shipped to you to mix with your fuel and bring up to 93. I would suggest moving though. I honestly would rather live in another country as to live in that crazy liberal and bankrupt state. Just sayin
In the bay area there are a handful of stations that sell above 91. Sonol Super Stop in Sunol sells 94, 96, 98 and 101 and they get fresh fuel very often as this is on a commute route and the owners are very open about it if you ask. Everyone fills up there on their way home. There is also a station in Brentwood about 1 mile from my house that sells 100. Both sell 5 gallon sealed jugs as well.

in the warmer weather at 100F+ or so the 100/102 reduces any detonation and timing being pulled in my Z06 and will feel a bit stronger, likely equivalent to 93 with is actually a good amount of power difference on that car.

Lastly, as much as I share your sentiments about Kalifornia, just Fyi, we currently have about a $30B surplus.... but Gavin Newsom takes over on Monday, so we will likely be in the red by Friday.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
California has the highest surplus among all states, just sayin
Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Not counting their unfunded pension liabilities.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rezus
I am assuming you think I am talking about their yearly budget. I am speaking more broadly about debt and other social issues. In many senses of the word I find it to be a bankrupt state as a whole. I am sure there are some fine people there who have a good head on their shoulders and do the right things. I differ greatly in my view points with the larger percentage of people there regarding financial management, political, moral and religious views just brushing over in general. I find it to be bankrupt more than just in their yearly budget projections that went up only because they raise taxes and even want to tax text messages. Either way, couldnt live there.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
In the bay area there are a handful of stations that sell above 91. Sonol Super Stop in Sunol sells 94, 96, 98 and 101 and they get fresh fuel very often as this is on a commute route and the owners are very open about it if you ask. Everyone fills up there on their way home. There is also a station in Brentwood about 1 mile from my house that sells 100. Both sell 5 gallon sealed jugs as well.

in the warmer weather at 100F+ or so the 100/102 reduces any detonation and timing being pulled in my Z06 and will feel a bit stronger, likely equivalent to 93 with is actually a good amount of power difference on that car.

Lastly, as much as I share your sentiments about Kalifornia, just Fyi, we currently have about a $30B surplus.... but Gavin Newsom takes over on Monday, so we will likely be in the red by Friday.
Running a higher octane fuel than required actually will cause the engine to make less power (albeit not noticeable to the driver) if the engine isn't tuned for the new octane. Octane rating basically indicates how fast the fuel burns. Lower the octane, the faster it burns. Higher octane fuels can produce more power because they burn slower and a good tune will maximize the cylinder burn and give you peak cylinder pressures at the right time. This doesn't take into account the oxygenation levels of the fuel.

If you run a higher octane fuel than you are tuned for, the cylinder burn will start too late in the cycle (due to engine timing not being advanced enough) and not be as efficient as it could be. 102 octane will definitely help prevent knock but modern knock sensors do a good job of that. I run E85 exclusively in my TT Mustang and it's *almost* impossible to get knock on that.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put 101+ octane in their 991?