991.2 Carrera Base surface rust on Caliper bolts - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

991.2 Carrera Base surface rust on Caliper bolts

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera Base surface rust on Caliper bolts

 
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM
  #16  
CSK 911 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
CSK 911 C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dickson, TN
Posts: 2,415
Default

That's interesting that Porsche didn't powdercoat them like the red calipers.
CSK 911 C4S is online now  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM
  #17  
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 13,393
Default

Originally Posted by Ryan52589



it worked! Thank you for the help to attach photo, I was trying to add it with the “manage attachments” button and that did not work

i have not used sonax for the wheel cleaner but road salt is definitely possible cause as I live in the Midwest and it does see winter use

i might try just the paint brush... they look awful!!

​​​​​​​thank you everyone
Not your fault. Porsche is just going the cheap route. You can even see discoloration of your calipers which others have complained about. I guess buying a $100K base model isn't worthy of a better finish
STG is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 PM
  #18  
Guards_Red_991
User
 
Guards_Red_991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 186
Default

Originally Posted by STG View Post
Not your fault. Porsche is just going the cheap route. You can even see discoloration of your calipers which others have complained about. I guess buying a $100K base model isn't worthy of a better finish
Porsche is not going the cheap route... This is a problem on every model, I've read about 993, 996 and my 997 suffered from it. Even Ferraris and McLarens suffer from it. This is the owner's fault, not Porsche.

Stop spraying harsh chemicals, not necessary. Good old soap and water will do the trick. Leave the chemicals for Nissans and Hyundais.
Guards_Red_991 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:57 PM
  #19  
911-TOUR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911-TOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: At the outer marker...
Posts: 1,122
Default

^^^ Affirmative. My 993 had the same problem which was delt with by the PO before I bought it by sending them off to be refinished with a higher-quality paint. 17 years later, it was about due again when I sold it.
911-TOUR is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 PM
  #20  
Ryan52589
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Ryan52589's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991 View Post
Porsche is not going the cheap route... This is a problem on every model, I've read about 993, 996 and my 997 suffered from it. Even Ferraris and McLarens suffer from it. This is the owner's fault, not Porsche.

Stop spraying harsh chemicals, not necessary. Good old soap and water will do the trick. Leave the chemicals for Nissans and Hyundais.

good to know! I personally do not use harsh chemicals on my car but maybe the previous owner did. Thanks for the info
Ryan52589 is online now  
Old 01-14-2019, 09:38 AM
  #21  
Guards_Red_991
User
 
Guards_Red_991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 186
Default

Originally Posted by Ryan52589 View Post



good to know! I personally do not use harsh chemicals on my car but maybe the previous owner did. Thanks for the info
No problem... Ultimately you can refinish your calipers. I did it on my 997 and freaking loved it.


Guards_Red_991 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: