Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Can Someone Look at this Leak... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1122298-can-someone-look-at-this-leak.html)

NJ991 01-04-2019 03:35 PM

Can Someone Look at this Leak...**UPDATE**

Car is in for service and there was some oil found. Here is a link to the video. Let me now your thoughts. I wonder if it’s from the last oil change, that was done by a non-Porsche dealer. I say this only because of where he found it. Maybe just clean it up and see if it leaks later on.

https://qkvideo.net/main/job-client/...27cd61771883ed

NJ991 01-04-2019 03:40 PM

I’m leaving it at the dealer, the CPO is still effective until next year. We will see.

LexVan 01-04-2019 03:40 PM

Not good. I hope it's nothing. Keep us posted. I like how the Tech/Dealership provided the video.

How many miles from the indy oil change to today's?

NJ991 01-04-2019 03:50 PM

I’ll certainly keep you guys posted. Don’t know about mileage, but about one month since the last oil change.

CSK 911 C4S 01-04-2019 07:26 PM

I hope it was just a ****ty job of capturing the oil from the filter when an oil change was performed.

But I would suggest just to do a good clean up and see it it returns.

991carreradriver 01-04-2019 08:22 PM

Could be a leaking chain tensioner. Be sure to get service to send you an image ruling this out. After the oil clean up, the chain tensioner, if the culprit will still be wet. It is easy to see, unless you are not looking.

NJ991 01-04-2019 08:24 PM

I think I know what happened and it’s very stupid. I’ll wait to hear back from my service advisor. You guys will laugh when I update you next week. Pretty confident I know what it was. Don’t think we have any issues.

NJ991 01-04-2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver (Post 15542387)
Could be a leaking chain tensioner. Be sure to get service to send you an image ruling this out. After the oil clean up, the chain tensioner, if the culprit will still be wet. It is easy to see, unless you are not looking.

I will ask about this, but I think the issue is not related to anything at all. But, we will see. I will ask about this though, juts in case.

Z00mie 01-04-2019 08:40 PM

Looks to me like a spill when adding oil. The "leaked" oil appears quite clean...

NJ991 01-04-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z00mie (Post 15542423)
Looks to me like a spill when adding oil. The "leaked" oil appears quite clean...

Bingo, sort of. I mentioned to the selling dealer, that there was a warning about “oil above maximum level”, and for them to fix that. I know that an oil change was performed within a month’s time at this dealer, and when I asked the salesman what they did about this message,, he explained that they let out about 1/2 quart of oil. I’m pretty sure things got messy and this is what was left of it. That was done two days ago and I picked up the car yesterday. The reason why this oil looks fresh and at the location it’s at. I’m surprised a reputable dealer(selling dealership) like them, would do this.

Bud Taylor 01-05-2019 08:16 AM

scary

That scares the crap out of me after fighting a 8 year leak on a 964.

Originally Posted by NJ991 (Post 15541771)
Car is in for service and there was some oil found. Here is a link to the video. Let me now your thoughts. I wonder if it’s from the last oil change, that was done by a non-Porsche dealer. I say this only because of where he found it. Maybe just clean it up and see if it leaks later on.

https://qkvideo.net/main/job-client/...27cd61771883ed

Carrera-T 01-05-2019 09:24 AM

The drip looked like new clean oil to me. I was also thinking overfill. Cleanup and monitor. Good that you have the active CPO just in case. Try not to worry.

NJ991 01-05-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carrera-T (Post 15543210)
The drip looked like new clean oil to me. I was also thinking overfill. Cleanup and monitor. Good that you have the active CPO just in case. Try not to worry.

I completely agree with the new oil. It was essentially done the day before. I was worried, but my service advisor just reassured me to not worry and that it’ll be handled. I also told them that my drivers side door panel is kind of warping. I’ve read about a handful of people running into this. It’s like the panel is bending away from the window, and coming apart from the end cap. That will be replaced too. So I’m feeling really good about that. Other than that, I was very pleased with their inspection and feedback. It was very positive and they commented on the great condition, in and out.

mtony 01-05-2019 09:32 AM

From experience, oil has to be added slowly through the fill hole or it will spill out around the opening and make a mess. You can't just empty a liter of oil into a large funnel and let it go. This usually drips onto the driver's side exhaust system, but I guess if you spill enough it could end up dripping from the oil pan.

NJ991 01-07-2019 10:39 AM

Update for everyone. It’s a front crankshaft seal that they are going to replace. I’ve heard of older 911s having this issue, but not a 991. Anways, they are working on the car now. I’m glad they found the issue and it’s being taken care of.