Sponsored by:

EPA settles suit against emissions defeat manafacturer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts
Default EPA settles suit against emissions defeat manafacturer

I wonder if they will pursue Cobb and other tuners next.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...defeat-devices
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

On one hand, I wonder if they are specifically targeting changes made to the emissions systems in the vehicles - but on the other, it seems like any performance change is going to have some impact on what comes out the back of the car.

I also am not familiar enough with exactly how tuners achieve the performance gains (adjusting turbo pressure, shift points, etc) to know how integral the emissions systems are.. I remember growing up in the 70's/80's when it was a no-no to remove your catalytic converter from your exhaust - seems like this is the the digital age equivalent..
Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I’ve never seen any tuner product without the phase “for off road purposes” in their fine print. I’ve asked Cobb, Softronics, and Vivid when I was considering a tune if their products were CARB certified and all said no, adding the “for off road purposes”. This was in 2015 and I don’t know if that’s changed since I inquired.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

Derive sounds more brazen than the tuners commonly mentioned here.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/jalopnik...1829348318/amp

Old 01-03-2019, 04:14 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Crap. Maybe I need to get one for my 2003 Ram before they all disappear!

Wonder if they'll specifically target the tunes coming out to help unmake the CD fix?

Originally Posted by jalopnik
And most crucially, Derive must create a customer verification program to train customers about how their vehicle functions, how emission controls work, and what requirements the Clean Air Act entails.
What a crock! This shows how utterly out of touch these people in the EPA are with reality. Pretty much everyone who buys these tuners knows how their vehicle functions, how the emission controls work and don't give a rat's *** about what the Clean Air Act entails. So the company is going to have to, quite literally, throw money away creating an education program absolutely NONE of their customers will watch, read or care about in the least.

Just the government taking their extra few pounds of flesh for retribution, rather than any effective policy with realistic and worthy objectives.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:54 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,535 Posts

I think it was their "lets roll coal" mode that turned up the heat on them a bit...

I'm all for performance mods, but creating a tune mode specifically to belch huge amounts of diesel smoke on command is way more obnoxious than open pipes a 2 am.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

Those diesels belching black smoke is bad news, but gases that are emitted from gas engines w/ controls removed may not be seen but they can't be good either.

If they decided to go after the rest of the tuners things could change quickly if they hammer a few of them. That's the choke point.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I think it was their "lets roll coal" mode that turned up the heat on them a bit...

I'm all for performance mods, but creating a tune mode specifically to belch huge amounts of diesel smoke on command is way more obnoxious than open pipes a 2 am.
Agreed. A tuned gasoline car - perhaps most of them even keep the factory catalytic converters - is just not in the same ballpark. I don’t expect the same scrutiny simply because nobody is doing gasoline tunes that in effect obnoxiously point one middle finger at the environment and the other at the cars driving around them!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

The tunes on modern turbocharged cars simply increase the boost to add power. That requires, of course, attendant changes in fuel delivery, spark timing, etc. But when driven at slow to moderate speeds, as cars are on the emissions test cycles, the calibration should be unchanged from stock, as are the exhaust emissions.

Of course when you go to 100 cpi cats, or remove them completely, that's no longer the case.

Quick Reply: EPA settles suit against emissions defeat manafacturer