Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody retrofitted the OEM sport exhaust to a 2005 Carrera S? Worth it? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:18 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Has anybody retrofitted the OEM sport exhaust to a 2005 Carrera S? Worth it? Thanks.

Hey gang, need your help. Bought a 2015 Carrera S for a friend that supposedly had the sport exhaust and full leather interior, but both of us were duped. Guy posted interior photos of a different car with those items... but exterior photos were of his car, including the full PD aero package (duck tail and spoiler), HRE wheels, etc. Go figure. Oh, and rather than 8K miles, it showed up with 10K. Geez. And no, my friend didn't think it was needed to check out the car 2K miles away, and I agreed (private sale. Sounded like a nice and honest guy), but it was obviously a mistake. Still feel bad about it, so I'm doing the research to see if the sport exhaust can be retrofitted like if it came from the factory. He really likes the car, but wants the sport exhaust after hearing my car, but doesn't mind the lack of full leather. Anyway, Suncoast sells the entire sport exhaust kit for about $2,600, but I need to know how complicated is the wiring and button installation (risk of shop messing something up, etc). I know the rear bumper has to come off to remove the mufflers, but it should be relatively straight forward, no? What concerns me is messing with the interior for the wiring. Hopefully somebody here already did it, and can shed some light on his experience, and how much it costs for installation. Thanks a million in advance for your help , and best wishes for the new year for all the members.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 AM
rezok
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First sorry to hear about the headaches.

Second - presuming you mean a 2015 car, not 2005, the answer is yes it can be done.

If you are mechanically minded search for a couple of posts here. Otherwise any dealer should be able to fit it. I recall it being a 4-5 hour job per the manual? I could be wrong.

Good luck with it - an awesome upgrade!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Why did your friend buy it then?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Very straightforward, especially on an S (which only changes the center muffler, does some minor changes to the vacuum hoses, and wiring for the switch). Do a search on here - people have published the workshop manuals on how to do it (which includes estimated time). As I recall it was 8 hours for a base (b/c of the side mufflers & vacuum hoses) & somewhere around 5-6 for S. The DO have to take apart a good bit of the interior to run the wiring for the switch. Two pieces of advice (from someone who’s been down this road):
1. Use the dealership. I tried an Indy shop with a GREAT reputation locally that assured me they could do it and program it (b/c they license PIWIS or an equivalent) but they were WRONG & I ended up having to engage the dealership to complete the work. The shop made me “whole” but it was a PITA. Would have saved time & money by sticking with dealer (surprisingly).
2. Decide where you want the “ tailpipes “” button (check other cars to see where it is placed from factory - for example, a duck tail car would not have spoiler button so twin tailpipes would be in FIRST slot). In NON ducktail cars I believe it is always in middle. Make sure you tell them at LEAST 10 times where you want that button 😜
I’ve done this twice for cars. Dealership was mostly seamless, Indy? Never again...
Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rezok
Second - presuming you mean a 2015 car, not 2005
Hey, I never said '2005'. Was going to edit my post, and it says 2015 . But thanks for the answer.

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Why did your friend buy it then?
He wanted the full PD aero-kit package. We found out about the missing features when car arrived, obviously already paid. He was still happy with the car, so glad he's better than me in that regard. Ha ha.

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
2. Decide where you want the “ tailpipes “” button (check other cars to see where it is placed from factory - for example, a duck tail car would not have spoiler button so twin tailpipes would be in FIRST slot). In NON ducktail cars I believe it is always in middle. Make sure you tell them at LEAST 10 times where you want that button 😜 I’ve done this twice for cars. Dealership was mostly seamless, Indy? Never again...
Thanks a lot for your great help. And for the button tip (auto start/stop switch is always last, so sport exhaust has to go first indeed). Hey, do you remember about how much was the charge for your last sport exhaust retrofit? And glad you told me only the center muffler is included. I thought the valves were on the side ones. In fact, I thought only GT3s had a central muffler, but was obviously wrong. Fortunately, El Paso, TX is finally getting a dealer here next month, and the general manager bought my house, so I know him.

Oh, and since his car already has black tips, no need to buy tips, right? I'm almost sure they're the same size. Thanks gang.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just made the change from standard S exhaust to PSE. I'm having some technical issues related to my own install errors. However, from my research I'd say it's absolutely worth it. Overall it was a fun DIY project. I found a new PSE on ebay for $1300. You can find used ones around $600-$800 range. Most of the parts on the standard S exhaust carry over to the PSE. There's quite a few threads on the parts needed and DIY's instructions. No wiring needed for the PSE button. You have to buy the cabin switch panel from Suncoast for $200 and have it programed after the install from the dealer - 1 hr labor.

That stinks about the bait and switch form the original seller. Buyer beware...
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
I just made the change from standard S exhaust to PSE. I'm having some technical issues related to my own install errors. However, from my research I'd say it's absolutely worth it. Overall it was a fun DIY project. I found a new PSE on ebay for $1300. You can find used ones around $600-$800 range. Most of the parts on the standard S exhaust carry over to the PSE. There's quite a few threads on the parts needed and DIY's instructions. No wiring needed for the PSE button. You have to buy the cabin switch panel from Suncoast for $200 and have it programed after the install from the dealer - 1 hr labor.

That stinks about the bait and switch form the original seller. Buyer beware...
I stand corrected - just looked at the workshop instructions and adcampo is absolutely correct - doesn’t look like you need to run the wiring for an S. Time in workshop manual still does show as slightly over 5 hours but, in my experience that includes the cost to program. I didn’t even try it on my own b/c both cars I added it to were “bases” and the labor was more involved (slightly over 8 hours for the 991.1) & I had a deathly fear of snapping/shearing a bolt I could’nt get out (remember on the base you DEFINITELY have to run the wiring and those side mufflers are changed as well. Good luck! -Dom
Old 01-04-2019, 06:24 PM
rezok
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Hey, I never said '2005'. Was going to edit my post, and it says 2015 . But thanks for the answer.

He wanted the full PD aero-kit package. We found out about the missing features when car arrived, obviously already paid. He was still happy with the car, so glad he's better than me in that regard. Ha ha.

Thanks a lot for your great help. And for the button tip (auto start/stop switch is always last, so sport exhaust has to go first indeed). Hey, do you remember about how much was the charge for your last sport exhaust retrofit? And glad you told me only the center muffler is included. I thought the valves were on the side ones. In fact, I thought only GT3s had a central muffler, but was obviously wrong. Fortunately, El Paso, TX is finally getting a dealer here next month, and the general manager bought my house, so I know him.

Oh, and since his car already has black tips, no need to buy tips, right? I'm almost sure they're the same size. Thanks gang.

Have a look at your subject title again
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

OP. See the attachment I've included. It's the shop manual for upgrading to a PSE exhaust on a 991.1 S. It'll give you an idea of what's involved.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
991.1 Sport Exhaust System.pdf (1.71 MB, 255 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rezok
Have a look at your subject title again
Oh, you were talking about the title. Ha ha. Yeah, I saw the error there. Sorry about missing it earlier. Unfortunately, can't edit it. Hopefully a mod can do it... if one reads this post.

Originally Posted by StormRune
OP. See the attachment I've included. It's the shop manual for upgrading to a PSE exhaust on a 991.1 S. It'll give you an idea of what's involved.
AWESOME. Thanks a million. And that brings me to a very important question, before proceeding. The first thing I saw is that it's not applicable to cars with the X51 power kit. That liar seller said his car had the power kit, but I'm really doubting that. It didn't feel any more powerful to me, and the engine bay looks identical (no 'X51' decals/logos anywhere). How the heck can I know if it has it or not??? Thanks.

Finally, very glad to read no wiring included; that's a big relief. But if this car happens to have X51, why is PSE not compatible??? And if that's the case, how about just getting a center muffler delete, like many GT3 owners do? Would it drone inside at all? Hope to hear some good news, on how to identify X51, and if it has it, if a center muffler delete is a good solution. Many thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:20 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

PSE is included in the Power Kit. If it has it, you already have PSE. Look underneath the rear bumper. If the center muffler is one long horizontal piece, you do NOT have PSE - or the power kit. If it's split into two halves, you have PSE (or some other modified exhaust).

X51 Power kit should come with a badge on the engine cover, between the fans. "Exclusive Powerkit"

I hope you and your friend learned something form this purchase!

Last edited by mgordon18; 01-06-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:25 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I hope you and your friend learned something form this purchase!
We obviously did, as mentioned on my first post (It's stupid to trust a stranger. Or 'trust but verify'. Ha ha). As far as X51, he just mentioned it, but nobody wanted it. In fact, I prefer it doesn't have it at all, which I'm sure will be the case. There's no PSE button inside the car, so it can't have PSE without it, correct? But will confirm when my buddy sends me a picture of the center muffler. Thx.

EDIT: Center muffler is a long one, so no X-51, just like I suspected. Hey, how about a center muffler delete? Has anybody done that? Seems a lot cheaper, but how effective? My buddy now wants to buy a Turbo S soon, so not sure PSE would be a wise investment. Thx.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hey gang, at this point it's obvious the car does not have X51 nor PSE. Since the creep mentioned having X51, it's possible he just did something to it, like a throttle-body and plenum, which could have eliminated the solenoid needed for PSE. Therefore, want to consider just a center muffler delete. Have some questions, if you don't mind:
1. Does rear bumper has to come off too, like with PSE?
2. Is there ANY extra engine noise inside the car, especially in 7th on the highway, like going uphill, when engine is loaded? My friend doesn't want any more noise inside the car than stock, or with PSE off. If that can be achieved with a center muffler delete, it'd be awesome, since it'd be way cheaper, and no chance of ordering everything and finding out the previous owner did something that prevents PSE from getting installed normally. We both also like not having to mess with the interior at all. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Can be done...had dealer do it on mine back when I got it in 2007. Cost about $800 in labor and of course cost of the exhaust but was well worth it!
Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

An update. Ordered the PSE from Suncoast without the side mufflers (Ss don't need them) and without the tips (car already has the black PSE tips). It came out to $1,828.95 shipped to dealer. And dealer will charge $660 labor, but I'm sure they'll tack on crap fees on top of that. And they'll also perform 2 open campaigns. It should be a little over $2,500 when it's all said and done, which is cheaper than the full PSE kit alone (and without shipping). Hopefully no surprises, and all works as intended . Will do a final update after I pick up the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anybody retrofitted the OEM sport exhaust to a 2005 Carrera S? Worth it? Thanks.