Sponsored by:

Yeah, rattle from rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:00 AM
sc532j
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Yeah, rattle from rear

2015 TTS. Rattle sounds like it is coming directly from the back, inside, but I know the lid can cause this (see below). Happens at low speed. pretty much constantly when moving.

I know, I know, I have read all of the threads but I cannot figure out where the rattle from the rear is coming from. It's not the seat belts or the trim where they come out of, I have removed both sides, I have removed the rear trim (under the back window) and the foam bar it sounds louder, but still there. I have adjusted the rear deck lid (the rubber stoppers as well as the other tips here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...from-rear.html and https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...from-rear.html) but no difference, if I drive with the lid open it is still there, still the same. It's not the side windows, not the headliner (press on them and it still rattles), happens if belts are are clicked in and when there is a small child sitting in the back seat. I can't find anything else back there to open up, it sound clear but I cannot see anything.

But oh boy can you hear it....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AOX...aR91AHCIC/view

Sound familiar to anyone? It's a making me crazy.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:31 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Great audio clip, that really captures the sound. The first thing I thought of was a flap of metal flapping in the wind against the car body. So, a couple ideas are a loose heat shield underneath or a loose license plate/frame. One thing I would do is go around the exterior of the car and tap each panel to see where the rattle is coming from, if it is from something like I described.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:27 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

That rattle would put me in the hospital after a week of driving. Take it to the dealer you are still under warranty. It's obvious they will find it. No use you taking things apart.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:41 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
That rattle would put me in the hospital after a week of driving.
+1 lol me too. Yeah I'd take that in too - especially if it is repeatable. Please come back and post what it turns out to be.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

That sounds like when I get a leaf trapped in a body panel gap or underneath in my DD. Super annoying until I find it.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I don't know if this will help or not in this case, but it might be worth a shot:

I chased down one interior rattle by installing a tone generator app (Tone Gen Pro) on my iPhone and piping the tones through the car stereo. I started at a very low bass set at a fairly loud volume (but not enough to endanger the speakers), and then slowly increased the pitch. At a certain point, the resonant frequency of the rattle was reached and it started rattling away. It allowed me to search through the back of the car pressing/pulling on surfaces until I homed in on the source.

If this rattle is in the interior somewhere it may resonate for you. I'm not sure how effective it will be if it is elsewhere. Sorry for the possible diversion if it doesn't work.

It you do this it will probably be pretty loud so be sure to close the garage door and warn the family so they don't get concerned.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
DanQ (12-11-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
+1 lol me too. Yeah I'd take that in too - especially if it is repeatable. Please come back and post what it turns out to be.
Not me...I would stop driving it after I heard it as a week is way too long. Please let us all know what it is and if it cannot be corrected post a link to your classified ad in case someone wants one cheap.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Raise the spoiler and check both of the removable plastic panels.

I had one with a broken clip which rattled into the cabin for over a year before I found it.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:57 PM
sc532j
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Success!! So after digging around back there some more I find this inside the car.

I had originally thought it was from the interior trim but it turns out it is from the fan (shroud) where it comes through, and both grommets were missing from one side

(pictured here after I put one back in) and without them it's basically a hard plastic spike banging around in a large metal hole.

As it turns out there is another missing at the bottom right (for a total of 3). Whoever put the fans shroud back the last time needs a beating.

Thanks all for the suggestions (esp. the tone generator, I was able to get it to vibrate with the engine running). 3 new ones ordered, it looks like they are an updated part (because the original ones are sh!te?) - 9P1-959-841 as a replacement part for 991-624-353-00, I never felt happier spending 20 bucks. Now I know you all are going to check this on your cars...
Old 01-02-2019, 03:18 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Yeah! Great sleuthing!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:03 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellent!
Old 01-02-2019, 09:02 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Good find

And I'm surprised that hole goes to the inside of the car.

Just another avenue for CO and other fumes to enter the passenger compartment.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:05 PM
RCRob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Back Rest Handle Screw

I tracked down another rattle yesterday and this was a tough one to find (This one was bizarre). A screw came loose in one of the rear backrest. I had to remove the seat cover to access it. It’s been dinging around in there every since I got her and it took me over a year to track it down. It sounded like a screw in a jar being rattled.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

The tech dropped it and said to himself, "Niemand wird es merken!".

*No one will notice!"

Good work.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:23 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I don't know if this will help or not in this case, but it might be worth a shot:

I chased down one interior rattle by installing a tone generator app (Tone Gen Pro) on my iPhone and piping the tones through the car stereo. I started at a very low bass set at a fairly loud volume (but not enough to endanger the speakers), and then slowly increased the pitch. At a certain point, the resonant frequency of the rattle was reached and it started rattling away. It allowed me to search through the back of the car pressing/pulling on surfaces until I homed in on the source.

If this rattle is in the interior somewhere it may resonate for you. I'm not sure how effective it will be if it is elsewhere. Sorry for the possible diversion if it doesn't work.

It you do this it will probably be pretty loud so be sure to close the garage door and warn the family so they don't get concerned.

Good luck!
What a genius idea! The big problem with rattles is replication. Generating a frequency to make recreate the rattle is genius!

Quick Reply: Yeah, rattle from rear