Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration with service department delay.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:17 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Fyi, my dealer installed my PSE. I had to return it to them a week later when the coolant warning came on. It was a loose vacuum line from the install they did.
In the back of my mind, I think it could be a loose vacuum line or connector. Makes the most sense, However, would the heater would stop working because of a vacuum line? And throw a coolant error message?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If the vacuum lines have an opening to the atmosphere then it's not implausible that the vacuum pump, which was designed to maintain vacuum on a closed system, can't pump enough vacuum to keep other vacuum-driven devices functioning properly. I'm sorry to see that you've had this problem. Hopefully it doesn't make your PSE self-installation savings completely evaporate.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Well, still no car... Losing my mind.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Wow. Still? Any word or update ?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:57 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Yesterday was radio silent. Didn't return my call or email.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I wait 4 to 6 weeks to get a loaner in Florida.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
Yesterday was radio silent. Didn't return my call or email.
Damn. Not good. Gotta be frustrating.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

So sorry you are having these problems!

I've had such behavior happen once or twice when our dealer was under prior management. I visited the dealership and went straight to the head of the service department and explained my frustrations, politely but firmly, about not getting info about delays and lack of progress. It turned out there were somewhat reasonably explanations, but the work did get put on the fast track. He also comped some of the work and insisted on giving me a ~$100 freebie from the Porsche store. (I know that doesn't fix things but it was better than nothing).

It sounds like it's time to become the squeaky wheel face-to-face.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

I'm miffed. I did call the general service department line. They put me on hold and talked with my advisor. I was told "they're still trying to diagnose the problem" and I should "hear back today on the diagnosis." What scares me is they still can't tell me what's wrong or when I can expect it back yet.

I skipped taking a loaner because I have my DD. I could be wrong, but I bet if I were driving around in a new Porsche loaner, they would be more urgent about getting my car done.

I'm clearly no mechanic, but it can't be more than a few things - COV, vacuum leak, vacuum pump. What else is there? Maybe I screwed up the manifold bearings on the install - lol.

Assuming it's because of my DIY and I missed or failed to make a tight vacuum connection, with a vacuum test tool, I would imagine you could quickly diagnose a leak. I know there's a bunch of COV's, but I imagine checking/swapping out the PSE and heater one must be a pretty straight forward fix.

I don't know, but it's a bad way to start a relationship with a new car and dealership.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:09 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Ok, maybe we're getting somewhere. I took StormRune's advise and contacted the General Manager directly. Relatively prompt response - email and call. As you would expect, he apologized and agreed that's it's been too long and explained they've been short staffed. He and the Service Manager spoke and they expect my car to be done today and I'll hear back from one of them today if anything changes, Which sounds like they're still giving themselves an out.

We'll see. You guys will be the first people I tell when I get the call.

I've got new ceramic tail pipes, clear side markers, rennline phone mount and updated dummy key to install!
Old 01-04-2019, 04:47 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Well, I heard from the Service Manager. As a reference the car also needs a state inspection and emissions test done. Anyone want to take bets I get my car tomorrow? This is exhausting. "The vacuum lines are now routed correctly for the PSE and verified this against a 991 GTS. Now we are looking into the coolant fault that came on. Unfortunately, the readiness monitors for the emissions test still need to be set. Do you mind if we hold on to the car until tomorrow so we can take care of everything? I know its Saturday, but the tech and myself will both be working."
Old 01-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Hang in there. All will be forgotten when you finally get it back and start driving and enjoying it with not CELs.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:36 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hang in there. All will be forgotten when you finally get it back and start driving and enjoying it with not CELs.
Agreed. Can't wait to hear the glorious PSE at WOT.

I'm so over it. I'm the OP and I'm sick of seeing this thread.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:12 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

All is right! Heater works and I finally got to hear the glorious pops and crackles of the PSE.

Service Manager said they had to correct some vacuum line routing and a bad heater change over valve. He said the biggest issue was to get the DME to accept the PSE reprogramming?

Charged me $699, but I reminded him that the car was CPO so they'll credit me back.

Thanks all for letting me rant over the past 3 weeks.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Glad you got it back finally and loving it.

They got some ***** charging you without checking that you have CPO.

Did they at least throw in some freebies for your long wait and troubles?

Quick Reply: Frustration with service department delay.