Sponsored by:

Saving about $750 this week - DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:06 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa991
Get the parts from FCP Euro next time and they will be free the next time you need them!
^^^^ This.
I ordered and received my parts before I knew about this little gem. Next time...
Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Great to hear.

Been wrenching on cars for some time and I really find working on the 991.1 a bit more easier.

For some reason I've always had a battle with the simplest of things.......... undertrays ...... removing and reinstalling....... on my past Audi's.

As always..... for anyone that lives in/around the Nashville TN area and would like a hand wrenching on their 991.1....... just look me up.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I've seen the DIY videos for it and it does look easy. My worry is that I'll get half way through and not be able to get my wrench on that last coil or plug and I'll be SOL. It looks pretty tight in there. But I might get up the guts come springtime.
Changing the plugs is not difficult and will take less time than the engine air filter. The only plug that is hard to reach is the front driver side plug. There is a small component that has to be removed first but it's not difficult. Depending on the age and use of your car, it might be a good idea to change out the coils at the same time. When I changed out my plugs one year ago, the whole job took an hour. It took another 20 min to remove and reinstall the diffuser, which you may not have on your car. Go for it.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Changing the plugs is not difficult and will take less time than the engine air filter. The only plug that is hard to reach is the front driver side plug. There is a small component that has to be removed first but it's not difficult. Depending on the age and use of your car, it might be a good idea to change out the coils at the same time. When I changed out my plugs one year ago, the whole job took an hour. It took another 20 min to remove and reinstall the diffuser, which you may not have on your car. Go for it.
I think I may tackle plugs - what is the small component? Also, wheels need to be removed? I have CLs, enough to remove, but if I don't have to . . .
Old 12-21-2018, 12:48 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I NEVER take any of my vehicles for fluid changes and regular maintenance. for people who knows their way around the garage....is a no brainer

(except for the PDK service....which i cant do without the PWIS)
Old 12-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Can anyone recommend where to buy online parts, fluids, filters and the lot in Canada?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

As a new owner, this is inspiring to hear. I'm also planning on doing my own oil changes and other basic work on my newly acquired 991.1S. Agreed, with other comments that doing things yourself is both fun and rewarding.

Not a Porsche, but here's my thread on rebuilding a wrecked Lotus Exige (it also had a seized engine) -- which still isn't done a year and a half later but it's slowly coming along. Slightly more involved than an oil change, and more involved that I'd initially planned for.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:14 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think I may tackle plugs - what is the small component? Also, wheels need to be removed? I have CLs, enough to remove, but if I don't have to . . .
I changed my plugs without removing the wheels, there is no need as long as you can raise your car on a stand. I used 4 ramps for this project, just high enough to get under the car WITH the wheels on.
I don't recall the name of the electric component that sits in front of the front drivers side plug but it is one small torx bolt and it is no big thing. If you are nervous about changing the plugs and cross threading be sure to seat counter clockwise by hand and then clockwise by hand until they are surely seated. BTW, forget the torque specs, you will not be able to get the torque wrench onto most of the plugs. I use the German version of the torque wrench - "guddentighten". Trust me, after you complete this project you will feel great. If you can remove and reinstall the rear cover with no issue, the plugs are much easier.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
As 991's get older, we will see more and more owner-wrenching, rather than what color to order your deviated stitching. I'm all about working on your own vehicles, too.
Looking forward to it.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:58 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I've seen posts about changing plugs in the 991.1 How about the 991.2? About the same?
Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

You don’t have a vehicle manager on your house staff that handles maintenance, detailing, fueling, and valet for your vehicles?

In about 2 1/2 hours this morning, I saved about $300 changing my own oil and cabin air filters.
This Saturday my 6 year old and I are going to change the engine air filters and save about $400 more!

I can't believe how easy it was. You should seriously try it. I got all the necessary parts from Amazon, Pelican, and Walmart for a total of about $250. This includes 10qts oil, oil filter, crush washer, frunk pollen filter, cabin pollen filter, two engine air filters, oil drain container, 8mm hex socket, and a 36mm socket for the oil filter. I already had a jack and stands, torque wrench, and basic socket set.

Getting these done at a dealership would easily cost >$1000, and even an indy would cost about $800, I'm guessing.

The only real pain in the butt was the interior pollen filter, under the passenger side dash board. You kind of have to contort yourself under there upside down to find and remove the screws holding the foam liner in place. But once you get that out, the filter replaces in a snap.

Over the last few years with my 997 and now 991, my wrenching capabilities have gone from complete novice to being able to change out wheels, brake pads, rotors, brake fluid, oil, filters, and on Saturday, engine air filters. Basically the only maintenance items left for the 4yr service are the spark plugs and a bunch of inspections. I'm going to have my indy do the plugs in the spring - that's where I'm currently drawing the line.

Try some DIY projects - you can do it!
Old 12-22-2018, 01:10 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Engine air filter replacement complete. Took about 2 hours. Unscrewing a bunch of bolts is always pretty easy, as long as they're not rusted on, but it's a marvel how quickly and easily everything went back together. The detailed engineering on these cars is amazing. You place the bumper back on the two pegs in the corners and everything else just lines up perfectly. It all went back together in a snap!

I did have one small casualty, though. There's a little cosmetic plastic panel covering the bolts for the rear lights. They're held on with clips alone, which ended up breaking off. I'm actually not sure if they were already busted by the dealership that repainted the bumper prior to my ownership (one of the bolts holding in the rear light was also stripped when I found it) or if I did it, but the part is only $10.25 from Pelican, so I think I can eat it.

Another achievement unlocked!

Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

In about 2 1/2 hours this morning, I saved about $300 changing my own oil and cabin air filters.
This Saturday my 6 year old and I are going to change the engine air filters and save about $400 more!

I can't believe how easy it was. You should seriously try it. I got all the necessary parts from Amazon, Pelican, and Walmart for a total of about $250. This includes 10qts oil, oil filter, crush washer, frunk pollen filter, cabin pollen filter, two engine air filters, oil drain container, 8mm hex socket, and a 36mm socket for the oil filter. I already had a jack and stands, torque wrench, and basic socket set.

Getting these done at a dealership would easily cost >$1000, and even an indy would cost about $800, I'm guessing.

The only real pain in the butt was the interior pollen filter, under the passenger side dash board. You kind of have to contort yourself under there upside down to find and remove the screws holding the foam liner in place. But once you get that out, the filter replaces in a snap.

Over the last few years with my 997 and now 991, my wrenching capabilities have gone from complete novice to being able to change out wheels, brake pads, rotors, brake fluid, oil, filters, and on Saturday, engine air filters. Basically the only maintenance items left for the 4yr service are the spark plugs and a bunch of inspections. I'm going to have my indy do the plugs in the spring - that's where I'm currently drawing the line.

Try some DIY projects - you can do it!
Just a FYI. Porsche Monmouth charges $400 for low mileage annual service. Oil and filter included.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Just a FYI. Porsche Monmouth charges $400 for low mileage annual service. Oil and filter included.
What else is included in that, other than an oil change? Cabin filters? Engine air filters? Plugs? The only real annual item is the oil change and a bunch of inspection items, like checking the belts, wipers and whatnot. The filters and stuff are 4-year maintenance items. Brake fluid is every 2 years.

See Porsche checklist, attached.
Attached Images
Old 12-22-2018, 06:07 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
As a new owner, this is inspiring to hear. I'm also planning on doing my own oil changes and other basic work on my newly acquired 991.1S. Agreed, with other comments that doing things yourself is both fun and rewarding.

Not a Porsche, but here's my thread on rebuilding a wrecked Lotus Exige (it also had a seized engine) -- which still isn't done a year and a half later but it's slowly coming along. Slightly more involved than an oil change, and more involved that I'd initially planned for.
cool!

Quick Reply: Saving about $750 this week - DIY!