Sponsored by:

Remove caliper decals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts
Default Remove caliper decals?

Before I attempt to remove them do they come off easily without damaging the finish? The White lettering on my Red calipers is bothering me and I want to replace them with Black decals, if possible.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Before I attempt to remove them do they come off easily without damaging the finish? The White lettering on my Red calipers is bothering me and I want to replace them with Black decals, if possible.
Bob, unless it has changed in recent years..its painted on. I've seen refinished calipers with decals, but not from the factory. Having said that, there is opportunity you could put black decals over the white script. If you are happy with the outcome, expect to replace the decals every few years.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Thanks, so I should try and find the exact size replacements then. Here are the ones I was considering: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...2F_Black_.html

But they also sell these so I wonder if what I thinking about doing will work, and they do not come in Black: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...8Set_6%29.html

The Yellow PCCB calipers have Black lettering but they are bigger so the lettering may be a different size as well.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 126 Posts

Bob - I believe decals are applied before the clear coat. Why not repaint your calipers Miami Blue and put new black decals? That would complete the theme you're going for with your car.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paxton
Bob - I believe decals are applied before the clear coat. Why not repaint your calipers Miami Blue and put new black decals? That would complete the theme you're going for with your car.
I have actually thought about doing it and it was discussed with the dealer before I even picked it up ($1450 for all 4) but I decided to wait and find a place closer to me. The Red is growing on me now and if the decals were Black I might like them well enough to leave them that way.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:05 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I refinished the calipers on my 997 and they were definitely painted on, not decals. I am sure the 991 is the same. I would think your chances of finding decals that would perfectly cover the white would be nil. Even if you found one that was the exact size as the white you would certainly see some white along the edge. And if it was slightly larger so as to cover the white completely, then the decal would be too long and not line up with all the letters. I think your best bet is the refinish the calipers completely.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW911
I refinished the calipers on my 997 and they were definitely painted on, not decals. I am sure the 991 is the same. I would think your chances of finding decals that would perfectly cover the white would be nil. Even if you found one that was the exact size as the white you would certainly see some white along the edge. And if it was slightly larger so as to cover the white completely, then the decal would be too long and not line up with all the letters. I think your best bet is the refinish the calipers completely.
Yeah, I am starting to think the same thing, which would be a lot of work just to change them from White to Black.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:58 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Technically, they are silk screened on. Total refinish is best option. 2nd if you really want to change them is get a matching red vinyl and put the black decals on it, then cut the vinyl to size to just cover the old letters. That way, if the decals aren't exact, you won't see any white, and the only place the red vinyl will be visible is filling for the letters. You can kind of see it in this pic, but the base vinyl used wasn't an exact match on this caliper. It was only temporary though.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

That is an option I think I could live with, but I have to find a place that can match the Red on the calipers, which I think is Guards Red.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:32 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've tried to stay quiet on this thread, I really have. All I can think about when I read it is ..... this

And when I personally think about Porsche and brakes, this is what comes to mind....

Carry on about what colors of decals look prettiest in the "themes"......My bad for interrupting.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

drcollie, Nice! The calipers are guards red 2 stage but it is kind of decade/model specific as the color has changed over time, BTW. It use to be a lot more orange than later cars starting with the 996.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
The ones I have seen are actually on a red background. It is a foil decal (looks red and black, but the back is foil)

Old 12-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
The ones I have seen are actually on a red background. It is a foil decal (looks red and black, but the back is foil)
Where have you seen these?

Quick Reply: Remove caliper decals?