Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Objectively speaking: 991.2 or 991.1 for a $90k purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I was in similar position and went with CPO 991.2. The only thing better on the 991.1 is the NA engine sound. I’m very happy with the sound of the 991.2 with PSE...it’s refined, not obnoxious, can be stealthy, still has flat 6 howl, and quiet cruising. As much as I like the NA sound revving high, its nothing to write about and really droning at lower RPMs...starts to wear on you after a while.’A few test drives had me realize that I could live with 991.2 sounds, but 991.1 GTS had me thinking twice about the drone. Today I have no regrets...if the 991.2 sound track and volume is just right. I’m not wanting more...rev and it screams.

The 991.2 is clearly faster. I know they’re published to be similar, but the PDK 991.1 cars have some kinda deadstop hesitation that make them feel like 5.5 second to 60, whether-as the twin turbo is near 3. Maybe not twice faster, but the torque perception sure makes it seem close to that.

There are tiny fit and finish details in the 991.2 that add up to more refinement. The list is long...headlights, pcm, steering wheel, rear steering, door handles, AWD system, etc. Some things aren’t as obvious such as bose sound is much improved.

The strength of a 911 is the whole package. I wouldn’t get caught up in engine sounds because that’s an emotional choice you might regret later. I personally prioritize handling the most and the later gen wins in this regard ever so slightly.

I think there is noticeable deference with a loaded car (awd, pdcc, sc, spasm, 20 inch wheels, pse, rear steering) so make sure you do a fair comparison. .1 GTS vs .2 base isn’t really in the same league.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

.1. Especially GTS if you can find one at that price. Instant classic.

To me, the drastically better N/A sound is worth more than the extra around 4 MPH trap speed and a "mere" few seconds on the ring. Yes, it's faster, but both are plenty fast to me, far too fast for public roads, and the sound and feel (I prefer the N/A powerband and razor sharp pedal feel) difference outweighs the performance difference, imo. Plus, the .1 resale has already been so good that it in many examples already nearly reaches .2 prices, and that's a signifier that it very likely continue to do so. Being the last and best of the N/A Carrera's will pay dividends and render it a legend in its own right, just as being the last and best air cooled did with the 993 did, imo.

I enjoyed driving the .2 GTS, admittedly (excellent car), but the sound was still a letdown to me, and it didn't have the visceral sensational aura as the .1 GTS. The .2 base, being completely honest, was one of the most sterile and boring test drives I've had. It just doesn't get my senses flowing like I feel a 911 should.

Once you drive them, you'll know where you stand.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 590 Posts

A lot of good advice, perhaps the best among it finding a way to drive both and you'll quickly know which is for you.

As for me, with those parameters, my vote would be for a 991.2 C2 or C2S—for every reason but the engine (and I prefer the engine, too).

But if you gotta have that NA flat six…there is only one platform at your price point, and that's the .1. This isn't about logic. It's about heart.

And…you can't go wrong!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Rank these in order of priority and we can give you a better answer:

Daily driver
Weekend canyon carver
Long distance tourer
Track toy
Garage queen
Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Lots of good advice here!

I isn't as if I don't like the NA engine: I came within a whisker of buying a Spyder 981. Phenomenal car! I figured I need a roof, more often than not, so I passed.

I have driven plenty of 997 911 models back in the day, even fairly recently. Although fun, I can't think of any reason to own one over a 991, outside of being a better value.

Long distance tourer-occasionally
Daily driver-2x per week
Weekend canyon carver-nearest canyon is 3 hours away
Track toy-building a BRZ for that
Garage queen-hell no
enjoy having a badass car at my disposal: yes please

I have heard the 991.2 with sport exhaust and sport cats: it sounded great. Not GT3 great, but nice.

I like the idea of working a NA engine to get the torque where I want it. I like the idea of instantaneous torque in the turbocharged engine. I got a couple of laps 2 years ago at an HDPE in a 991.2 C4S with axle steering, and that car was super sharp. Any 991.1 might not feel as sharp in comparison, but unless tested back to back, I bet it would be tough to tell them apart.

I suppose it is all about the journey. I buy one, and will wish I had gotten the other.

It does seem like the GTS is holding its value well. Then again, they have dropped $10k on average since the summer. I mostly saw certified cars going for $110k+, now it looks to be sub $100k on many models, with higher mileage private party cars in the 80's. I haven't been tracking the 991.2, but it likely is similar. I supposed many GTS were delivered in late 2015, while the 991.2 became available in spring of 2016, making them both around 2.5-3 years old by now.

From the responses: some say the .1 is more emotional and they have more connection when driving it. The .2 is definitely the faster, sharper car, which is what others look for. Essentially, we are all splitting hairs.

So, decision made. I am going to look for a clean 997 TTS!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:09 AM
porschedriven
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 991.1 cab and then a 2017 991.2 S cab...it's not even close between the two cars...the 991.2 is a much better car all around. They both look great and believe both models will age well esthetically...but performance wise the 991.2 proved the low end response that the early model had trouble with. Anyone that says anything different than that is kidding themselves.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:25 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
Lots of good advice here!
So, decision made. I am going to look for a clean 997 TTS!
and you could've never done a better decision . This is comingf from a TTS owner who previosly had .1 GTS.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:47 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
and you could've never done a better decision . This is comingf from a TTS owner who previosly had .1 GTS.
Why is that? They are in the same price bracket, after all. What makes the 997 more special than either 991?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts
Unhappy

It sounds like a decision has been made so close the thread and don't let the door hit you on the way to the 997 Forum.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 12-20-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
Why is that? They are in the same price bracket, after all. What makes the 997 more special than either 991?
It's not. I've owned a 997TT and I've driven multiple other 997s, they are outdated and not in any way more special than the 991.

My two cents is that I would get a 991.2 over a 991.1 in 9 out of 10 cases. The only exception would be for a 991.1 GT3 or RS. I would personally not want to go back from a 991.2 to a 991.1 unless it was a GT car.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's obvious from the answers so far that there is a clear winner lol.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

People ask me for car buying advise quite a bit, probably since I've owned 462 cars (42 Porsche's), that I can remember. I have decided that the best advise I can give is to have someone ask themselves a few questions. What is your budget? What are expectations for a car? What do you want to car to have? What can you not live without? What are you going to use the car for? How long are you planning to keep it? Is resale value important to you? If you answer those questions you should be able to figure out what car is right for you. Each person has different experiences (types of car numbers of cars owned and driving style and ability) with car ownership, asking someone like me for my opinion would not make much sense since I would not have the same reasons to buy a car as others might. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

my vote would be: 991.1 GTS convertible
Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
It's obvious from the answers so far that there is a clear winner lol.
Because the .1 Defense Bridge has arrived. Whenever the .1/.2 discussion begins, they're there.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I was in similar position and went with CPO 991.2. The only thing better on the 991.1 is the NA engine sound. I’m very happy with the sound of the 991.2 with PSE...it’s refined, not obnoxious, can be stealthy, still has flat 6 howl, and quiet cruising. As much as I like the NA sound revving high, its nothing to write about and really droning at lower RPMs...starts to wear on you after a while.’A few test drives had me realize that I could live with 991.2 sounds, but 991.1 GTS had me thinking twice about the drone. Today I have no regrets...if the 991.2 sound track and volume is just right. I’m not wanting more...rev and it screams.

The 991.2 is clearly faster. I know they’re published to be similar, but the PDK 991.1 cars have some kinda deadstop hesitation that make them feel like 5.5 second to 60, whether-as the twin turbo is near 3. Maybe not twice faster, but the torque perception sure makes it seem close to that.

There are tiny fit and finish details in the 991.2 that add up to more refinement. The list is long...headlights, pcm, steering wheel, rear steering, door handles, AWD system, etc. Some things aren’t as obvious such as bose sound is much improved.

The strength of a 911 is the whole package. I wouldn’t get caught up in engine sounds because that’s an emotional choice you might regret later. I personally prioritize handling the most and the later gen wins in this regard ever so slightly.

I think there is noticeable deference with a loaded car (awd, pdcc, sc, spasm, 20 inch wheels, pse, rear steering) so make sure you do a fair comparison. .1 GTS vs .2 base isn’t really in the same league.
+1. I too test drove both a 991.1 C2S and 991.2 C2S back to back at the same dealer. Coming from a C7 Corvette and never owning a 911 before the 991.2 was the easy decision for me for all the reasons as stated above.

Quick Reply: Objectively speaking: 991.2 or 991.1 for a $90k purchase?