From an AMG GT to an 18 GTS 4 Cab...pics & thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:10 AM
Sammydtd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From an AMG GT to an 18 GTS 4 Cab...pics & thoughts

Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Previous Porsche was a 2010 Pannie 4S, then moved to an AMG GT for two years. Now just picked my first 911, a 2018 Crayon Carrera 4 GTS Cab. Always been more of an AMG guy to be honest, but here are some thoughts after only driving the GTS for 400 miles.

OK, so first some thoughts on the AMG GT...wonderfully fun car, very powerful presence on the road, very fishtail happy (mine had the mech rear diff), steering feel was on point, and that V8 rumble was glorious. In the end, it was just too flashy for my taste (red didn't help) and people treated it like an exotic supercar...some people like that, I guess I'm a bit more incognito.

Researched and researched so many other cars, but in the end it was down to one of two 911s, a GTS or a GT3. Drove the TT, and not gonna bash it (it is pure engineering excellence), but it was too refined, too perfect.

The GT3 was incredible, but I felt like it was too much for me here in the Middle East with our crappy roads, and even worse drivers and traffic.

The GTS was the sweet spot, and I actually ended up buying the damn thing without even test driving it (GT3 I took out 3 times, I really wanted to make it work!)

I was able to get a pretty sweet deal on an 18 GTS 4 Cab in Crayon color with a red top that was waaaaaay over my budget due to the impending 992 launch. My wife has a new Cayenne, and while the tech is great, I honestly didn't want it on a 911, so the 991 appealed to me just a but more.

Comparisons to the AMG after 400 miles

1- Still way too quiet for my taste, but with the pops and burbles in the PSE its fine I guess
2- Much better visibility all around, excellent seating position, and the narrower dimension are a godsend in our narrow city streets.
3- Suspension is a huge improvement, much more compliant and taught (My GT had the normal non adaptive AMG suspension
4- Grip on the AWD is mind boggling, but I believe its the 911 chassis that's the real hero here, its just so well poised.
5- AMG much more dramatic and fun to drive, but you cannot drive it as fast...the 911 has proper accessible power that is very useable.
6- AMG wins on the interior IMHO, but I like the analog feel of the 911 if that makes sense.

In there end, I can see what the big fuss over what makes a 911 THE sports car that sets the benchmark for everyone else. It's just too good, sometimes a little too much in my opinion, but I don't regret my decision one bit, despite my wife and friends all saying I "downgraded" from and AMG GT. Despite still babying the car in its break in period, I can say the 911 is a better car to drive period.

One question however, Is it OK to drive the car in Sports or S+ during its initial break in period of 2,000 miles? I have driven in normal and sports mode only, but have kept the RPM below 4,500...Is that acceptable? I have heard conflicting thoughts and read numerous posts, but couldn't find anything on driving the car decently in S or S+ modes.

Sorry for the long rant!

Oh, and I absolutely love the Crayon / chalk on the GTS against there black accents and red top. The dealer had also specced it with painted Rear lid air intake grilles painted and painted rear apron which I really like. The only thing I would have added would have been more leather to the dashboard, as this has the normal finish. I guess this is OK with the alcantara seats it came with.

Thanks guys! ✌🏻

Old 12-19-2018, 10:41 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

That's a great looking car, congratulations! I agree that even with PSE the cars are too quiet. I've been on and off about upgrading my exhaust and now I'm mostly on. Probably going to do something this spring. Those GT's are pretty bad *** sounding and I recently had a GT350 and it's hard for a 911 to match a good sounding V8 unless it's a Cup car or a GT3 at 9,000 RPM's!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Welcome, great looking car and the color was in my top 3 of choices and the Cab was my second choice in cars. People are probably getting sick of me saying it but the Soul high-flow cats make a big difference in the sound, especially in Sport mode, for not much money.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:43 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats, Sammydtd and thanks for sharing your comparison. Before and especially after coming from a few years of high revving V8s, I've never been a fan of the 911 sound especially now with the turbos. But that one issue just disappears once you drive it. I'm also going with the Soul cats, as Bob Z has plugged once or twice
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The "AMG gets treated like an exotic supercar" threw me off a bit, but makes more sense considering where you live. Where in the Middle East are you? Looks nice!

Enjoy the 911, good choice and I'm confident it'll feel like an upgrade from the M-B.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:01 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks for the comparison. i was contemplating on the AMG GTS as well before I got the 991.1S. the AMG would cost about 15k more (used of course)

but I really want a 911 first :-)

Congrats!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:44 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammydtd
Is it OK to drive the car in Sports or S+ during its initial break in period of 2,000 miles?
Sport mode yes. Sport-plus mode no. Sport-plus mode is, arguably, useless unless you are on a track. That mode tries to keep the car in boost at all times and not upshift until very high in the rev range. This is what you don’t want when the engine is cold (and during break-in.)

The main thing, during and after break-in is to make sure the oil and water temperature are above 185°-F before you begin driving at rpm or engine loads above medium-low.

Some say that the engine gets to operating temperature more-quickly in Sport mode than in normal mode.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The "AMG gets treated like an exotic supercar" threw me off a bit, but makes more sense considering where you live. Where in the Middle East are you? Looks nice!

Enjoy the 911, good choice and I'm confident it'll feel like an upgrade from the M-B.
Lebanon....there was a small print on the sliding glass!
Let's get even more specific...Beirut, next to http://www.vivianedebbas.com (interesting jewelry store btw based on the website).

OP - nice car, drive her in good health.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a AMG GTS (modified of course), it is in winter storage along with my other summer cars. I am a very big fan of the car though I think car was misunderstood and under appreciated. I have known the manager at one of my local MB dealers for 25 years, and they sold very few on the AMG GT series cars. Seems when they came out the MB faithful thought it was a hardtop SL (the 2016 GTS was the first car to come out and what I have), and many of the preordered (before they were cars to drive) cars came back after a few months. Owners complained about uncomfortable seats (big old guys don't fit well, yes I'm old but not big), rough ride, and too much noise, in other words that it drives like a sports cars. I was able to purchase one of those returned cars for and amazing price last year (almost half of sticker, my car has all options but ceramic brakes), and the car is a blast to drive, like a German muscle car that can handle well. OP enjoy your new ride, it is a beauty.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

The AMG GT has significantly more presence on the street, looks wider & lower. It also makes a much more aggressive noise. AMG is the best in the business for making noise with turbo cars. It's a really good car.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I have a AMG GTS (modified of course), it is in winter storage along with my other summer cars. I am a very big fan of the car though I think car was misunderstood and under appreciated. I have known the manager at one of my local MB dealers for 25 years, and they sold very few on the AMG GT series cars. Seems when they came out the MB faithful thought it was a hardtop SL (the 2016 GTS was the first car to come out and what I have), and many of the preordered (before they were cars to drive) cars came back after a few months. Owners complained about uncomfortable seats (big old guys don't fit well, yes I'm old but not big), rough ride, and too much noise, in other words that it drives like a sports cars. I was able to purchase one of those returned cars for and amazing price last year (almost half of sticker, my car has all options but ceramic brakes), and the car is a blast to drive, like a German muscle car that can handle well. OP enjoy your new ride, it is a beauty.
I would have bought it too for half sticker. I would not trade my 911 for one but would love something like this as a second car. I thought these would hold value better; like the SLS but I guess it's still a merc?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
Congrats, Sammydtd and thanks for sharing your comparison. Before and especially after coming from a few years of high revving V8s, I've never been a fan of the 911 sound especially now with the turbos. But that one issue just disappears once you drive it. I'm also going with the Soul cats, as Bob Z has plugged once or twice
Sorry, but I am really trying to get the point across that high-flow cats really change the sound of the turbo cars in Sport mode. By the way, I have yet to put mine in Sport + since for one, I am in break-in mode and for two, I tried that during a test drive and will never do so again on the street.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 PM
weespeed
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I would have bought it too for half sticker. I would not trade my 911 for one but would love something like this as a second car. I thought these would hold value better; like the SLS but I guess it's still a merc?
My Cls63 was awesome in every way, except for how much I lost on it after 2 years. The depreciation on it was mind blowing.
Not to mention the cost of fixing things like the air suspension. I'll never buy an AMG out of warranty.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:15 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sorry, but I am really trying to get the point across that high-flow cats really change the sound of the turbo cars in Sport mode. By the way, I have yet to put mine in Sport + since for one, I am in break-in mode and for two, I tried that during a test drive and will never do so again on the street.
Why is that? Sport+ works great on the street, that's how I drive my GTS most of the time.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:16 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

Sport mode yes. Sport-plus mode no. Sport-plus mode is, arguably, useless unless you are on a track. That mode tries to keep the car in boost at all times and not upshift until very high in the rev range. This is what you don’t want when the engine is cold (and during break-in.)

The main thing, during and after break-in is to make sure the oil and water temperature are above 185°-F before you begin driving at rpm or engine loads above medium-low.

Some say that the engine gets to operating temperature more-quickly in Sport mode than in normal mode.
If you shift manually, sport+ is fine. I shift manually 99% of the time.

Quick Reply: From an AMG GT to an 18 GTS 4 Cab...pics & thoughts