Sponsored by:

My First Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 04:04 PM
smokeman
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My First Build

greetings, all. it's great to be here; thanks for letting me in. after wanting a 911 for 45 years, i'm finally gonna get one. to be honest, i can't stop playing with the build site. LOL i'm gonna get a 991.2 911 S. i'm at the upper end of my budget; i have one last choice to make, and i'm looking for some competent opinions. specifically, rear axle steering or sport chrono? a bit of input - i plan on driving this car until i'm gone, so resale doesn't concern me. costs of the two options are close enough that either/or doesn't bother me. both will be more than i really want to go. while i would like to take this car to the track once or twice, i don't see me tracking it on a regular basis. i live in san antonio, and what i DO see me doing is long drives on the hilly, twisting roads of the texas hill country. for the type of driving i plan on doing, RAS seems to be a better upgrade. but i wanted to check with the experts and see if they agree with my research. that's you guys. am i right to be leaning toward RAS? thanks for any advice y'all can give me

Last edited by smokeman; 12-16-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:23 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I'd take RAS just because the auto-rev match w/ Sport Chrono is such an annoying "feature"

Congrats on your impending addition
Old 12-16-2018, 04:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If PDK, probably sport chrono, if MT, RAS.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:14 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you post your build sheet, you may get some ideas on various ways to go. EX: depending on options, you may want to go GTS.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:30 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your impending addition! I've got one ordered and due in May. In my test driving I preferred the Sport Chrono option because I like the ease of entering the car into a more "aggressive" mode on demand. It really does/will depend on what you want the car to be like. I don't know how much the RAS really helps but I'm sure it does add something to the handling. If that's what you prefer I'd get it! My order doesn't lock for another 8 weeks and I change my config everyday lol

Are you buying from Porsche of San Antonio? We visited there over Thanksgiving but didn't purchase from them.

Good luck with it.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:43 PM
smokeman
Intermediate

buying from the memphis dealer. my friend's wife's dog's hairdresser's personal assistant knows somebody there. i'm doing the 'lanta delivery thing
Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Manual tranny? If so get the RAS if you have to chose...I have it and I love it, and I also have the SC.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Post the build code so we can see the overall build. RAS and SC were both important to me, and would be important to me regardless of the transmission type (even though everybody knows a manual is the only way to fly ).
Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 PM
smokeman
Intermediate

playing around with this build right now. like i said, this car will live in the hill country in central TX: PKKDDGZ2
Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If could only take one, I would take RAS over Chrono as so far I've found Normal and Sport to be more than enough excitement that Sport+ is really not an imperative. RAS is something that you can enjoy all of the time.

That said, seeing your overall build could help us suggest if maybe some other changes might bring both options into the picture.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeman
playing around with this build right now. like i said, this car will live in the hill country in central TX: PKKDDGZ2
Since you're doing glossy black wheels, you might also want to add the "Door Handles in High Gloss Black" for an inexpensive bit of additional black trim.

One other thing you might consider is that the silver seat-backs might not go terribly well with the Luxor Beige seats or the red exterior. Adding the "Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather" will match it to your Beige seat color. I didn't do this for my GT Silver GTS because the silvery backrest color works with the exterior and my black leather seats. But if I went with just about anything other than GT Silver, Chalk or maybe a black exterior, I would've probably gotten this option, especially with beige seats.

I would have a hard time choosing between SC and RAS. You plan to keep the car forever, so maybe consider spending a bit more somehow, since the cost of a few extra options won't sound so bad when spread over the lifetime of the car.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats on your upcoming purchase. After wanting one for 30 years I custom ordered a 2018 C2S earlier this year. I loaded it up with options. Both RAS and Sport chrono included. Straight up I seriously doubt I will ever drive the car anywhere near the limits on public roads and I really cant even tell I have RAS. In all honesty I think a lot of guys, me included, order these options for more of a male ego thing than the actual performance need. But then again when you have waited this long you might as well get all the goodies you want! Your mileage may vary. I went to PEC Atlanta prior to ordering and also the Porsche course at Barber and drove many models. The 911 is so capable on the street I don't feel you can get anywhere close to the performance limit without being a completely irresponsible driver on public roads. I would ask yourself to seriously consider how hard you will drive it and if you think that will dictate the RAS to make you happier with the cars handling. With that being said on a PDK I think the SC is a little better. The launch control is a pretty cool function and personally I prefer the look of the clock on the dash but that is certainly a point of mixed reviews and personal preference.
That configurator is a seriously addicting time suck. Spent countless hours on there.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd go with RAS, namely because you said you want to keep the car a very long time and there are issues that can pop up with the dynamic engine mounts that come in the SC package. I have a 991.1 C2 with SC right now and plan on eventually upgrading to a 991.2 C2 and will shop for one without SC. Sport+ for my driving (zero chance I'll ever take my car to the track) really just isn't necessary.

Also, I'd add auto-dimming mirrors, personally.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:31 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Congrats on your upcoming purchase. After wanting one for 30 years I custom ordered a 2018 C2S earlier this year. I loaded it up with options. Both RAS and Sport chrono included. Straight up I seriously doubt I will ever drive the car anywhere near the limits on public roads and I really cant even tell I have RAS. In all honesty I think a lot of guys, me included, order these options for more of a male ego thing than the actual performance need. But then again when you have waited this long you might as well get all the goodies you want! Your mileage may vary. I went to PEC Atlanta prior to ordering and also the Porsche course at Barber and drove many models. The 911 is so capable on the street I don't feel you can get anywhere close to the performance limit without being a completely irresponsible driver on public roads. I would ask yourself to seriously consider how hard you will drive it and if you think that will dictate the RAS to make you happier with the cars handling. With that being said on a PDK I think the SC is a little better. The launch control is a pretty cool function and personally I prefer the look of the clock on the dash but that is certainly a point of mixed reviews and personal preference.
That configurator is a seriously addicting time suck. Spent countless hours on there.
My first Porsche, also a C2S, is sitting in Davisvile and I hope to be taking her home this week. I spent countless hours on the configurator before making my final decision. PSE and SC were the first two items on my list, the RAS was one of the last items I chose, originally only went with it as it was included in a package with the aforementioned items. After some further research, I think the RAS is a phenomenal feature and glad I made this choice.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Consider the interior trim in leather with leather interior. It eliminates the silver trim on the dash/doors/console which, in my view, is a bit busy on two tone interiors. I often make this suggestion and the people who have done it seem pleased.

The painted keys scratch easily and if you really want red keys you can do it aftermarket for peanuts ($20 for both keys) or even genuine Porsche for much less than the factory option.

I have autodim and it is nice, but be aware there is a visual impact where you can see the dim material which does not extend to the end. I would still order it again.

Quick Reply: My First Build