Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use summer tires in NC winters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 05:40 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been a helpful lesson for me. Am I reading that the PS4S was a Porsche spec N tire for the 991 at some point? Tirerack does not make that indication. If so, than it would be an easy decision for me. I've always had good luck with the PS line. Very early versions only lasted a few thousand miles for me. I'm talking back in the 1990's. But the past decade or so, I've been amazed at how long they last within reason 10-15k. And I always felt wet and dry performance esd remarkable. Even in colder temps.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
This has been a helpful lesson for me. Am I reading that the PS4S was a Porsche spec N tire for the 991 at some point? Tirerack does not make that indication. If so, than it would be an easy decision for me. I've always had good luck with the PS line. Very early versions only lasted a few thousand miles for me. I'm talking back in the 1990's. But the past decade or so, I've been amazed at how long they last within reason 10-15k. And I always felt wet and dry performance esd remarkable. Even in colder temps.
Most definitely.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Thx!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys in the southeastern US have a relatively easy tire problem to solve. I live in the mountains in Colorado. I drive to southern Arizona frequently for business and family. I can leave home in winter, with snow and ice and single digit temperatures, and arrive in summer, with dry sunny roads and temps pushing 90 F. My wife does not endorse my plan to rent a garage halfway, and swap wheels and tires, so I need some really magic tires.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I can leave home in winter, with snow and ice and single digit temperatures, and arrive in summer, with dry sunny roads and temps pushing 90 F.
You just described any given weekend in Arkansas between November and March.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:50 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Doing more research on the PS4S and pretty much sold.

The outside of the tire has a summer compound same or similar to their track tires. This will allows the best cornering.

The inside of the tire actually has a different compound designed for water. Many say it's actually similar to an all season section and performs really well in rain AND cold temperatures. It's also makes the tire less noisy cruising around.

Cost for a full set from specialized shop is 1500 out the door and many are kept in stock as it's a popular tire. Tirerack is more expensive.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Another SBA idiot

Your service advisor is a dip ****. I live in northern Florida and my Pz0's have let go several times unexpectedly near 50%.

Originally Posted by saundebn
Here in Portland OR, my SBA, when asked by me at delivery two days ago, said that I shouldn't be too concerned about driving my new Pirelli P Zeros throughout the Winter (which is similar to what you describe). Certainly should take a bit more care when you know that traction might be a bit degraded but otherwise I should have no significant issues doing so.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:51 PM
minthral
Pro

Got the PS4S (N0 spec...apparently some aren’t stamped with this) installed today. They aren’t broken in yet, so its hard to review atm.

Comparing the drive 1 hr there and 1 hr back with the new tires, here are my initially impressions. The car drives different and I’ve been used to the P Zeros. The PS4S honestly feel less sporty...they’re noticeably less firm (same PSI at 35 front and 45 rear) and while they have really sharp steering pushing the car, its more vague on center and minor inputs. Something I can’t explain is the car feels faster to accelerate and feels like it has less ‘drag.’ They’re just as noisy or maybe more than the worn P Zeros, though I discovered that an 80-85 MPH whine is gone (good...thought it was the AWD system). They have a bit of whirling sounds while cruising while the P Zeros were more white noise. Seems like the PS4S kicks up stones more.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:17 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Your service advisor is a dip ****. I live in northern Florida and my Pz0's have let go several times unexpectedly near 50%.
I can assure you that my Senior Brand Ambassador (SBA) is not as you suggest ... his knowledge regarding Porsche and his advise has been right on for the nine months or so that I've been working with him.

That said, I've now been driving a week in temps ranging from 40 to 55 degrees, a mix of wet and dry conditions, and my experience is that the new P Zero N1's are performing reasonably well driving in an appropriate manner for commuting in less than ideal conditions. Just as he said my experience would be. I already starting to get a good sense of the range of performance I can expect in these conditions and I know that there will be plenty of opportunities as the weather warms up in the Spring to push the tires to the higher levels of performance.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
I can assure you that my Senior Brand Ambassador (SBA) is not as you suggest ... his knowledge regarding Porsche and his advise has been right on for the nine months or so that I've been working with him.

That said, I've now been driving a week in temps ranging from 40 to 55 degrees, a mix of wet and dry conditions, and my experience is that the new P Zero N1's are performing reasonably well driving in an appropriate manner for commuting in less than ideal conditions. Just as he said my experience would be. I already starting to get a good sense of the range of performance I can expect in these conditions and I know that there will be plenty of opportunities as the weather warms up in the Spring to push the tires to the higher levels of performance.
The quality of dealerships varies. The quality of service advisers varies within dealerships even at the best ones. Sounds like you have a good one. However, on things like tire compounds I would refer to the manufacturer guidelines rather than the guy who spends half his day arranging loaners. As a former trial attorney I can just see the jury verdict where an at fault driver in a Porsche lost control in low temps with summer tires. Kaching! Better have your umbrella policy paid.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:22 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Got the PS4S (N0 spec...apparently some aren’t stamped with this) installed today. They aren’t broken in yet, so its hard to review atm.

Comparing the drive 1 hr there and 1 hr back with the new tires, here are my initially impressions. The car drives different and I’ve been used to the P Zeros. The PS4S honestly feel less sporty...they’re noticeably less firm (same PSI at 35 front and 45 rear) and while they have really sharp steering pushing the car, its more vague on center and minor inputs. Something I can’t explain is the car feels faster to accelerate and feels like it has less ‘drag.’ They’re just as noisy or maybe more than the worn P Zeros, though I discovered that an 80-85 MPH whine is gone (good...thought it was the AWD system). They have a bit of whirling sounds while cruising while the P Zeros were more white noise. Seems like the PS4S kicks up stones more.
Update - I just looked it up for a C4S. Partial load and Comfort for yours is 29/33. Try it, you might find those PS4S's are much nicer.

Read some threads on tire pressure. Inflate your tires to what the back of your owners manual says not the door sticker. The pressure you are using is WAY too much. When the dealer put that much in mine I thought my SPASM was on and worse...ride was very harsh. I have a 2017 also and our manuals should show the same pressure for Summer Tires 'Comfort'.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:41 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys in the southeastern US have a relatively easy tire problem to solve. I live in the mountains in Colorado. I drive to southern Arizona frequently for business and family. I can leave home in winter, with snow and ice and single digit temperatures, and arrive in summer, with dry sunny roads and temps pushing 90 F. My wife does not endorse my plan to rent a garage halfway, and swap wheels and tires, so I need some really magic tires.
I got your solution. Add a Macan or Panamera to yoru stable.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Update - I just looked it up for a C4S. Partial load and Comfort for yours is 29/33. Try it, you might find those PS4S's are much nicer.

Read some threads on tire pressure. Inflate your tires to what the back of your owners manual says not the door sticker. The pressure you are using is WAY too much. When the dealer put that much in mine I thought my SPASM was on and worse...ride was very harsh. I have a 2017 also and our manuals should show the same pressure for Summer Tires 'Comfort'.
I will try that. IMO the P Zeros were mushy at that PSI. Going up to 35 front and 42 rear did wonders for handling. The rears are too high at 45 atm...think the installer made a mistake. The ironic thing is the PS4S ride smoother with same or higher PSI. I don’t find the ride hard even with sport suspension engaged and high tire pressures. I have PDCC/SC so not sure if that helps. My 981 boxster with sport suspension was much firmer and I did reduce pressures to comfort level, but thats not a problem in the 911.

Being a new unworn tire, PS4S ride like they have less rolling resistant. They stop and accelerate better. Turn in is accurate and quick, but I think there is less feel.

I think tire break in after 500 miles will sort things out. Turning down pressure may help too.

Quick Reply: Anyone use summer tires in NC winters?