Sponsored by:

Silly question in refusing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Shouldn't be any trick to it. Maybe something wrong with your vent system?
I agree. I don't think this is a simple thing like turning the fuel nozzle.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I agree. I don't think this is a simple thing like turning the fuel nozzle.
It's likely a problem with a particular gas nozzle as for me, this issue doesn't present itself at all gas stations and often isn't repeated even when using a different gas pump at the same fueling location. If the OP is experiencing this at a gas station he regularly visits, he should try a different pump at the same location to see if it is in fact a problem with that nozzle.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
There was a thread in the last couple months where someones car would not take gas and they had to replace something internally in the tank I think. Cant remember the fine details.
Found it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1077...need-help.html

Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to program my new PSE. I'll have them take look at it.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

My Tacoma truck had a problem like this. The fuel nozzle would keep tripping off if you tried to go max-flow when filling up. It turns out there was an obstruction in the filler hose, right at the screen at the very base of the filler hose (at the tank). The obstruction was one of those thin paper/plastic seal sheets that come under the caps of fuel injector cleaner bottles. It was a little bit of a pain to retrieve that thing (I did it myself). Just FYI.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:30 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your problem may be found here: https://interestingengineering.com/v...w-nozzles-work

When you're hands off the nozzle, the air port (per the video) at end of the gas nozzle is somehow blocked by your cars gas intake pipe design. And the gas flow stops.

That's probably why manually moving the nozzle slightly away from it's "normal" hands off position allows you to restart gas flow. Problem I've found is, even after adjusting it slightly, the nozzle very shortly works its way back to the "normal" hands off position and stops the flow again.
I end up holding the the nozzle in a position which keeps the gas feed going.

By the way, you can change the word in your post header from "refusing" to refueling.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried multiple nozzle positions including the upside down one. I tried slow poor and manual mode and it still stops. It sounds like the gas is bubbling up the fill pipe to set off the auto shut off. I did realize the 991 has a relatively small tank - 16.9 gallons I think.

We'll see what the dealer says. Glad I have a CPO warranty. More importantly, I'm getting my new PSE programmed today. Can't wait for the crackles and pops.

I'll report back.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I thought about refusing to answer... but...

EDIT: At a better look I see it might not be the right thing for a 991, but just in case it helps:

I recalled seeing that Porsche was making an adapter for people having this type of problem and I found it at SuncoastParts here: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X7NOZZLE.html

Are you in a location with fume recovery devices on the gas pump nozzles? If so than the device above is even more likely to be the right thing for you.

Last edited by StormRune; 12-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recalled seeing that Porsche was making an adapter for people having this type of problem and I found it at SuncoastParts here: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X7NOZZLE.html
It sounds perfect but, alas, it apparently only fits cars from 2005-2012.

Quick Reply: Silly question in refusing.