Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying first Porsche CPO vs Non

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:07 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I say buy private (saving you around 10% if you shop well) and buy a great Fidelity warranty if lack of warranty bothers you.

I find that my luck is much better when buying a car from a fellow enthusiast than from a dealer. I have been burned a couple of times, even while exercising caution. Dealers are great at giving you the finger and daring you to sue them. They have awfully deep pockets.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Any experience with MaxCare from CarMax is it worth the cost?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orclean1
My question I have is it mandatory to follow the recommended service by Porsche to validate the fidelity extended warranty ?
Why take the risk, if you have the Fidelity extended warranty, follow the factory maintenance schedule = no questions asked! I would think that the most important issue is to have a dealership that knows how to work with Fidelity and get claims paid, to me that is far more important.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread with respect to CPO:

Part of the increased cost to the dealer of the CPO can come from bringing the car up to CPO standards. You can actually ask to see what work was done to do this and they will probably show you the work records. One of my prior CPOs included over $4k worth of work prepping the car. My first 997 included 4 new N-rated tires, new brake pads and rotors, and the 4 year service. Many non-CPO cars might need service soon and/or new tires and brakes... but not always of course. I know I've traded in cars needing tires and/or service, even semi-joking that it was time to trade up to a newer car just because it was time for new tires or services.

All I'm saying is to be sure to factor in the costs of these things when comparing cars. If you buy a new car without CPO that needs services or tires shortly, then the costs savings may not be as big as they seem. Or they may of course! Just do the research on each car to determine the true costs.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is my experience with buying a CPO car that I paid more than 100k to have it in my garage, all was great except the windshield was pitted all over the place with specks. I did not see it while test driving it, the sun has to be at certain angle and then it shows all over the place, when I found out two weeks after purchase and mentioned it to them they said it meets CPO standards and there is no safety concern and it is not visible only under certain condition.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:13 PM
PacPaliPorsche
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ragabnh
Well here is my experience with buying a CPO car that I paid more than 100k to have it in my garage, all was great except the windshield was pitted all over the place with specks. I did not see it while test driving it, the sun has to be at certain angle and then it shows all over the place, when I found out two weeks after purchase and mentioned it to them they said it meets CPO standards and there is no safety concern and it is not visible only under certain condition.
I bought a CPO from Beverly Hills Porsche with a windshield issue - big pit that would reflect AM / PM sun right into your eye. Had to fight like hell for MONTHS to get them to replace it but they finally acquiesced. How they supposedly worked it out was "splitting" the cost of the replacement between the sales dept and service dept. My CPO also included a damaged / worn key that I had to also fight like hell to have replaced. Don't give up!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Originally Posted by PacPaliPorsche
I bought a CPO from Beverly Hills Porsche with a windshield issue - big pit that would reflect AM / PM sun right into your eye. Had to fight like hell for MONTHS to get them to replace it but they finally acquiesced. How they supposedly worked it out was "splitting" the cost of the replacement between the sales dept and service dept. My CPO also included a damaged / worn key that I had to also fight like hell to have replaced. Don't give up!
Im learning its difficult to get an exact response on what is and is not covered on the CPO, seems there is alot of grey area there for "cosmetic" items. I would love an actual x,y,z is covered and a,b,c is not list.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is my 2cent

I dont think the key is CPO. I think is more of the options, color, miles, condition etc. If there are two comparable car, then of course buy the cpo for a couple thousand more because even if you buy the private party, i would highly recommend getting an ext warranty....From my experience, the private sale are arent that much lower than the cpo dealership price if you take into consideration of buying ext warranty....so for the peace of mind....would be OK with it.

also remember that on cpo car, tires are usually brand new (which is about 1500 just for that) plus brakes are usually new as well
Old 12-13-2018, 05:27 PM
DOG ON
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Any experience with MaxCare from CarMax is it worth the cost?
I went ahead and got the 75k mile MaxCare when I bought my 2013 Carrera earlier this year. I am very pleased with it so far. It was surprisingly cheap (cheaper than the same coverage for a VW Jetta) and well worth the piece of mind. In fact, I already had two small issues (a leaky washer fluid pump and the heater's change over valve) that they took care of. Due to a wait for parts, they even put me in a nice rental car for around a week each time (absolutely no charge to me for any of it... though I did have to drive around in a Bimmer for a while .

My advice is that if the piece of mind is worth it to you, the CarMax warranty is pretty amazing for P-Cars. I have heard of other people having some issues with it, but I've had nothing but an extremely positive experience.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if the OP pulled the trigger yet. I searched for my 991.1 about 10 weeks. Came across 3 nice examples - good options and decent miles. I was prepared to buy without a warranty or CPO based on my research that the 991 seems to have less issues than the 996's and 997's. Then just before buying, a CPO car came up at a Porsche dealer - better options and mileage. It was slitghly cheaper than one equal to another in price. CPO may not be perfect, but it's some piece of mind. With that said, if I found the car I wanted that wasn't CPO, I would of bought it. That's my $.02. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DOG ON
I went ahead and got the 75k mile MaxCare when I bought my 2013 Carrera earlier this year. I am very pleased with it so far. It was surprisingly cheap (cheaper than the same coverage for a VW Jetta) and well worth the piece of mind. In fact, I already had two small issues (a leaky washer fluid pump and the heater's change over valve) that they took care of. Due to a wait for parts, they even put me in a nice rental car for around a week each time (absolutely no charge to me for any of it... though I did have to drive around in a Bimmer for a while .

My advice is that if the piece of mind is worth it to you, the CarMax warranty is pretty amazing for P-Cars. I have heard of other people having some issues with it, but I've had nothing but an extremely positive experience.
Thanks for the reply, quick follow up. Who did the work and where was it done?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

If it's a close call buy the CPO. On extended warranties I lost the last two times. Bought one on a boat and another on a 2011 ZR1. The ZR1 was a rock through 3 years of ownership. Oil changes and a battery. The boat I had warranty claims that amounted to 50% of the extended warranty. The bottom line is extended warranties are not warranties but insurance against catastrophic failure. If you have the tolerance for risk and can afford the worst case scenario don't buy the warranty. The insurers of these products have figured out the odds. They win in the long run like all insurance companies.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 PM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Originally Posted by adcampo
Not sure if the OP pulled the trigger yet. I searched for my 991.1 about 10 weeks. Came across 3 nice examples - good options and decent miles. I was prepared to buy without a warranty or CPO based on my research that the 991 seems to have less issues than the 996's and 997's. Then just before buying, a CPO car came up at a Porsche dealer - better options and mileage. It was slitghly cheaper than one equal to another in price. CPO may not be perfect, but it's some piece of mind. With that said, if I found the car I wanted that wasn't CPO, I would of bought it. That's my $.02. Good luck.
Not yet, hoping for next week, need my financial advisor to give me the green light on this and Im all in.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying first Porsche CPO vs Non