Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying first Porsche CPO vs Non

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Ken Harding
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In was in the same position as you this past summer and decided to spend 4k more on the CPO car. So far I've had both warped door panels replaced at cost of 3k, the PCM at $2,300, blue tooth mic and a headlight that cost $1,7000. I would say it was definitely worth it to me. Despite all those issues I love the car. If I would've had to pay out the money for those repairs I would probably feel different. I bought a well optioned 2014 C2 with PDK.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
There's always the option of a vehicle service contract, such as Fidelity Platinum.
4 year, 48k mile contract was about $7500 with a $250 deductible on my 2015, fresh out of warranty.

I passed.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Yeah I can do alot of DIY work on the car, so that doesn't worry me as much as dumb things breaking like a window regulator or an ac compressor dying. I think the play for me is get the CPO car so it will be fully up on maintenance and I can just enjoy it w/o thinking about things breaking (unlike my current GTR)
When one brings an out of warranty car with a big repair he gets hit with a bill. When he brings in a car with a CPO he gets an 80K loaner , coffee, cookies , and his repaired car back .

As for DIY ... I do no repairs . I like luxury and conveniwence. It's easy to get acquired to it .

Good luck in the decision..
Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

What happened to your headlight?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Yeah, I'd rather not worry about the bill portion and just spend the money upfront for the piece of mind.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish

4 year, 48k mile contract was about $7500 with a $250 deductible on my 2015, fresh out of warranty.

I passed.
that might be full retail, I just paid about $4100 for 3/36 on my '13C2S with 41k miles. PM me if you want the name of the finance person at my dealer I got it from.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ken Harding
In was in the same position as you this past summer and decided to spend 4k more on the CPO car. So far I've had both warped door panels replaced at cost of 3k, the PCM at $2,300, blue tooth mic and a headlight that cost $1,7000. I would say it was definitely worth it to me. Despite all those issues I love the car. If I would've had to pay out the money for those repairs I would probably feel different. I bought a well optioned 2014 C2 with PDK.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

that might be full retail, I just paid about $4100 for 3/36 on my '13C2S with 41k miles. PM me if you want the name of the finance person at my dealer I got it from.
My quote was $5853 for 3/36. $250 deductible.
My ‘15 had 51k at the time.

I’ve come to terms with self-insuring. The chance my PDK blows up in 3 years is vanishingly small, and if that doesn’t happen (or an engine meltdown), you’ve thrown money away.

IMO of course. I can afford to self insure; I didn’t finance my car. I’m sure for some, financing in a warranty makes more sense.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

CPO means nothing. CPO cars can even be wrecked (up to 3 panels). I bought a CPO car without knowing this and got lucky as mine was not wrecked. The does not have to be and will not be disclosed by a Porsche stealership. Have a private PPI done at an independent shop that includes paint meter readings on all the quarter panels. Go see the car in person before you hand them a check.

For warranties the fidelity platnum is a a good value and goes 10years 100K miles (which in my opinion is much more useful than 2/24 as that is not when costly things start to break). For comparisons sake I just purchased a fidelity for $ 4300 on a car with 8K miles. Their cost is mileage based.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default retail

Yeah I have the sheet that is full retail and you can purchase for around 55% off retail.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 PM
ahung
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

To the OP, I was in the same boat recently. I just picked up a heavily optioned '14 C2 with less than 30K miles on the clock. I purchased it CPO from a large dealership all the way in FL (I'm in CA) and had it shipped. The car is my daily driver and I intended on driving it under all conditions (work commute, school bus duties, grocery getter, and fun toy for the mountain roads on the weekend), so the few extra thousand $$ spent on CPO was worth the peace of mind, especially since I purchased it sight unseen. If I was able to fly to FL to check out the car before the purchase, it might have been a different story. I've had the car for a few months now and even though the car was very very clean, there were a few very minor things that were a little irritating to me (PCM buttons a little worn and a small tear on a rubber seal around the window). So, I brought it in to my local P-Dealership. A new Macan loaner and a week later,everything was replaced under CPO warranty. Apparently the entire PCM unit needed to be replaced to fix that one button and that job alone would have cost almost $3K. IMHO, if you can swing it, CPO is worth it especially if you're buying a car that you can't lay your own eyes and hands on prior to purchase. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope to welcome you to the club soon. It is absolutely worth it.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheRob23 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Ken Harding
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
it fell out under hard breaking.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Level3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I chose to save a little dough and bought a 2013 non cpo car. Cars been great and I'm happy with my decision.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience, you won't get a better car, more checks, info on history, etc by buying what in the UK is called 'approved used' from an OPC and you will pay significantly more. Sticker price may be similar but indy dealers usually discount more. But when you get the car home, if you find the slightest blemish like I did (scuff on the seat and two door dings), the OPC will move heaven and earth to rectify. The satisfaction questionnaire that Porsche UK send you following your OPC purchase is crucial and anything less than 100% satisfaction causes a heap of trouble for the OPC.
You do also get the full 2 year minimum official Porsche warranty and roadside assistance.. In fact, as it's a minimum, you can end up with close to three years including balance of original. In my case, bought 17 months old, got 19 months remainder of new three year warranty plus one year approved used (so 31 months) to make minimum two years as they only do approved used in one year chunks. Theoretically, buy with eleven months warranty left, get another full 2 years making 35 months, 23 months left, get another full year.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:10 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I purchased a 2014 50 th anniversary with 8000 miles PDK never tracked or auto crossed and dealer service by the original owner , I,was quoted $3783 for Fidelity Platium 4 yrs / 100000 miles . Waiting on another quote before I choose and will tell all what my final cost will be . i keep my cars for maybe two years and only drive them on weekends . My question I have is it mandatory to follow the recommended service by Porsche to validate the fidelity extended warranty ?

Quick Reply: Looking at buying first Porsche CPO vs Non