Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Pro - failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I use a do it yourself coating from Gyeon called Can Coat. Goes on and comes off with a wiping and I can reapply wash new driving season. I use Gyeon Wet Coat after every other wash and my car shines and repels dirt like a superhero. I love this stuff and a $49 can last for several coatings.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

All of this stuff has never been proven to me as worth the cost. You need to consider a few things before considering spending the money for ceramic pro. Such as whether you will be using the car as a daily driver, will it be garaged, what type of weather do you have in your area. Think about this: how many 991 Porsches have you seen that the paint looked bad after 4, 5 or 6 years? Have you ever been told by a really good detailer that he cannot get your paint back to looking like new? Sure, you get a clear bra to protect against chips, etc., but do you really think that paint protection does anything better than a good detailing? You are dealing with clear coat finishes that are not that great from the factory so you are only trying to get some luster from the clear coat. Go to a dealer and closely look at a new car on the floor and then look at a really well detailed 5 year old car and see if you can find a difference - I bet it would be insignificant if at all. You can use a very inexpensive detailing spray after washing your car and get all the beading you want if that is what you want.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default yep

Originally Posted by bosco42
You are correct in thinking it should not be like that after a year whether in So. Cal. or in So. Dakota
After having done this on several cars with "authorized" detailers I have come to the conclusion this is all BS and a good detailing with clay/polish/sealant will yield similar results at a fraction of the cost.
Also, the annual maintenance that is required to keep the warranty valid is a total gimmick geared simply to generate an additional income stream.
Have your detailer correct his lousy job and stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
THIS... !
Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Ceramic work so as advertised and the new generation of products is DIY friendly. Some “detailers” are buying new old stock first gen product for pennies. It sucks. Just like PPF.

I have PPF and DIY ceramic coating on my car and use pinnacle black diamnond products to wash. A few weeks ago we went on a boy’s weekend to the mountains and drove through the rain. 2 other cars were waxed and sealed before the trip that I know for sure. My car not only looked substantially better post driving through rain but was significantly easier to clean and dry.

Last thing i’ll Address is that yes, ceramic is great on PPF. There are better options on PPF so do some research.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:31 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco42
You are correct in thinking it should not be like that after a year whether in So. Cal. or in So. Dakota
After having done this on several cars with "authorized" detailers I have come to the conclusion this is all BS and a good detailing with clay/polish/sealant will yield similar results at a fraction of the cost.
Also, the annual maintenance that is required to keep the warranty valid is a total gimmick geared simply to generate an additional income stream.
Have your detailer correct his lousy job and stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
I agree 100%. No way to tell if its "performing". Not for me.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bwiele
To take a contrarian position to others on this thread so far, I have definitely found ceramic coatings to make cleaning my cars and wheels much easier. However, coatings are not completely maintenance free. But maintenance is simple and takes very little time. There are many products available that you just spray on and wipe off to maintain the performance of the coating. Look for something like Bead Maker by P&S or Reload from Car Pro as examples. In CA you could most likely do this once every 6 months and it would take you 20-30 mins each time. I do this on my cars 3-4 times per year (but I live in the northeast). I enjoy the process but it isn’t a full day commitment - just adds a little time to my typical wash routine.
.....sort of like waxing every 2-3 months and using reload in between? There sure seem to be varying results here.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:52 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
All of this stuff has never been proven to me as worth the cost. You need to consider a few things before considering spending the money for ceramic pro. Such as whether you will be using the car as a daily driver, will it be garaged, what type of weather do you have in your area. Think about this: how many 991 Porsches have you seen that the paint looked bad after 4, 5 or 6 years? Have you ever been told by a really good detailer that he cannot get your paint back to looking like new? Sure, you get a clear bra to protect against chips, etc., but do you really think that paint protection does anything better than a good detailing? You are dealing with clear coat finishes that are not that great from the factory so you are only trying to get some luster from the clear coat. Go to a dealer and closely look at a new car on the floor and then look at a really well detailed 5 year old car and see if you can find a difference - I bet it would be insignificant if at all. You can use a very inexpensive detailing spray after washing your car and get all the beading you want if that is what you want.
I agree with you 100% Jerry!! If ones finish is looking a bit tired and a DIYr can't manage the job on his/her own, have the vehicle detailed. I'm getting tired of all this "paint correction" & "hydrophoic" BS, all this amounts to is some simple steps with the right products and machine polishing skills to get most vehicles looking like new again.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:53 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 705 Likes on 368 Posts

Lots of great info here, but almost same amount of "opinions" as well.

First and foremost, nano/ceramic coatings are NOT the answer to poor care. If anyone tells you you don't worry about washing, caring, maintaining, etc., then they're giving you a false hope of what the product limitations are.

Properly done, this assumed installer expertise and true nano coating, you should enjoy an easy and carefree experience for 2-3 years, depending on coating...longer if garage queen or not daily driver.

Lifetime warranties, or any "time" warranty is as good as the paper it's written on...common sense always trumps gimmicks. To my knowledge, there is no tool or test that unequivocally deciphers coating failure. By that, I mean that there's no test that proves product/installer/user failure...so, how can you warranty something you have no way of verifying its failure.

When people call us and ask what our warranty is, we state we have NO warranty...they think we're joking, but we're not.

I know that product we use, CQuartz, is solid. I know our installation is solid. What I don't know is how someone's home care is. All we can do is set clients up with proper products and guide them with techniques that are simple and effective. Someone following that routine, will most likely see excellent ROI. Someone going through car washes at gas station or having a detailer not familiar with nano coatings and applying improper products/technique to coating, then there's no warranty for that.

A LOT of work goes into a proper installation...days, sometimes weeks. So, if you got a same-day service for $500, then you probably are going to get what you paid for.

There is A LOT of science and expertise to a proper correction and coating application. Simply as that.

Can you achieve amazing results without an arm/leg....absolutely.

There are excellent nano spray sealants out there that will give you far superior results than traditional waxes/sealants, at fraction of the time...CarPro Reload comes to mind.

On a new car, wash/ironx/eraser/Reload...results are stunning and will cost you less than $100 and take 2-3 hours tops at your home.

Will it be the same results as a CQuartz Professional or Finest Reserve, no. But better than wax/sealant, yes.

So, I hope this helps understand coatings...they're not bulletproof and they're not snake oil either...well, it depends on the coating

Do your research, talk to those knowledgeable in the industry that will give you honest and unbiased answers.

As with anything, buyer be aware.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:56 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for that Moe. Good to hear some facts.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:06 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 911boy
Thanks for that Moe. Good to hear some facts.
My pleasure...you guys need to trust someone out there that knows a thing or two
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I've never seen so much misinformation in one thread before. I was just sitting back, waiting for a Pro to step in. Thanks for setting us straight, Moe.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:23 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexVan
I've never seen so much misinformation in one thread before. I was just sitting back, waiting for a Pro to step in. Thanks for setting us straight, Moe.
Like I said...buyer be aware...the coating industry has exponentially increased in the past 2-3 years...we started playing with nano, the real stuff, almost 7-8 years ago and decided to align with CarPro.

Since then, I've seen so many coating come to market by people that don't even make the product or even have the infrastructure to properly sell, and more importantly, educate the end user.

There are several excellent coating manufacturers, and you can tell by the quality and caliber of the installers in their network.

You've got the "mass-market' coating manufacturers, and you've got the "boutique" brands. They each have their + and -...just educate yourself on which one is right for YOU.

As with anything, examine the source and marketing "angle" or "pitch".

There's DIY dent repair kits...DIY paint it yourself kits, DIY youtube on how to invest your money in stock market...list goes on and on. Someone's always trying make a buck...just be honest with yourself...if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Automotive Elegance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ceramic should not have failed after a year. Often the reason ceramic may fail prematurely is what type of maintenance you are doing. Depending on what you wash the car with, you might be rubbing it right off the car, or depending on the products you are using when you clean the car you could be negating the effect of the ceramic. Whoever you had detail the car and apply the PPF and Ceramic should have been able to give you some tips for care after the application. We also use Ceramic Pro and we tell every customer who gets it to buy "Car Pro Reload" which will act as a sacrificial layer for the ceramic to extend the life span of the coating and make sure you don't need to spend a bunch of money at the detail shop every 8 months after the coating goes on. Caring for your car after a ceramic coating shouldn't be any harder or more stressful than it was before the coating.

Thing's can definitely happen, and there is always the chance the product failed (rarely) or the prep work was not done well enough and the application was rushed. When done correctly, a ceramic coating is a great thing to do to care for your car, but when applied wrong, or when the best way to maintain it isn't communicated, the "snake oil" opinion unfortunately starts gaining ground.

Here is the link for the Car Pro Reload:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-10-2018, 03:16 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Moe & Automotive Elegance - have you guys tried Bead Maker yet? I'm interested to know your views..
Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Automotive Elegance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We haven't, we are certified with Ceramic Pro so we keep it consistent. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts though. Could be worth trying!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro - failure?