Sponsored by:

Allocations vs dealer stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:14 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Allocations vs dealer stock

How often do dealers not offer an allocation to a customer and just build out their own for their lot? I asked a local dealer about allocations months ago for the T and the targa and they said they have diddly squat. Now they have 16 911 in stock including 4 targas. I mean I got the sense he was bs-ing me, but seems weird to say we don't have anything and now have a lot of stock. Doesn't matter a ton now that I got my 911 using a different sales guy but irritating nonetheless
Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

If a dealer has an allocation they will give it to a customer that wants it since it pretty much assures them of selling it sooner than later. They do of course build them for themselves since they don't want an empty showroom and it is nice to have models to show potential customers. Usually allocations are released in batches as well albeit not now with the 991 winding down so there are times when a lot of cars arrive around the same time.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Sometimes dealerships will choose to build the cars themselves so that they can load them up with cost options (often referred to as bloated builds on the GT3 board) and then sell them at a higher average MSRP. And this is more often the case when the allocations are limited in supply, such as the T and the Targa, because the dealerships know that many local customers will fall captive to these limited options (and also be more likely to get their wallets out when they see the cars in person and don't have to wait for them to be built). So it wouldn't surprised me at all if the local dealer you mentioned was snowing you. With this said, it may also well be that the lot cars you're seeing were ordered before you asked for an open allocation, not to mention other benign explanations (e.g., trades, bonus cars, cluelessness on the part of the SA, etc.).
Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
How often do dealers not offer an allocation to a customer and just build out their own for their lot? I asked a local dealer about allocations months ago for the T and the targa and they said they have diddly squat. Now they have 16 911 in stock including 4 targas. I mean I got the sense he was bs-ing me, but seems weird to say we don't have anything and now have a lot of stock. Doesn't matter a ton now that I got my 911 using a different sales guy but irritating nonetheless
Not sure if that particular dealer was being honest about their allocation situation or not.

But if you want to build your own, then get a list of dealers and start making phone calls. I didn't want to pay for options I didn't want or like, reserving the money for options I did want. So I shopped for allocations. Wasn't terribly difficult to find some allocations along with a dealer willing to discount a bit.

Although perhaps I was just lucky, I don't know as this was my first Porsche shopping experience.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Needless to say it depends on the time of year and what models are out. As of right now it is getting harder to find 991.2 allocations but my SA just got a Targa GTS allocation, with a discount, for someone here, which was non-existent a month ago.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Here is how it works..

Different dealers have different allocations of cars. Top Tier Dealers get more allocations of the more desirable models, but are also required to buy more cars.
So, when you get 300 allocations (for example) you have build dates on cars closing almost every day. You MUST configure the car and take delivery or trade it away to another dealer for a different car.

SO, if a dealer has no allocations for a Targa (for example) in order to get a Targa he must find another dealer with an allocation and trade one of their cars for it.
They all seem to help one another because when THEY need one they will come asking you for that favor back.

Quick Reply: Allocations vs dealer stock