Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat repair Orange County

Old 12-01-2018, 05:52 PM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flat repair Orange County

wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a place to perform a plug job on one of my tires. Looking for a place that will be careful with not only the wheel but the chassis as well. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I’m located in the Anaheim Hills area but will travel to ensure a good experience.

Last edited by eddiesudz; 12-01-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Can you get the tire off yourself and take it for repair? That takes the chassis concern out of the picture.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Can you get the tire off yourself and take it for repair? That takes the chassis concern out of the picture.
I agree with wareachscott. Take the wheel off and take it to a reputable tire shop. If you just want to take it in, check out https://www.johnsforeigncarservice.org.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eddiesudz
wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a place to perform a plug job on one of my tires. Looking for a place that will be careful with not only the wheel but the chassis as well. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I’m located in the Anaheim Hills area but will travel to ensure a good experience.

Give these folks a call. They’ve been in business since the 70s and are located in Anaheim off La Palma. They are open M-F only.
http://haydonbros.com/
Old 12-01-2018, 09:23 PM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. Great suggestion to take the tire off myself. Easily done and eliminates my chassis concern. I appreciate the shop info provided.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:11 PM
davashcow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just do the plug yourself? It’s not hard. Takes five minutes and there’s nobody to blame but yourself if you scratch the wheel.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 PM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davashcow
Why not just do the plug yourself? It’s not hard. Takes five minutes and there’s nobody to blame but yourself if you scratch the wheel.
I’m hoping to have someone do a plug and patch. Just a little more insurance in case the plug fails.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I grew up working at a mom & pop tire shop that my parents owned. I was their little grease monkey. Plugs were considered temporary and patches were more of a permanent fix. Unless you track your car, a good patch job will last life of the tire. That was a few decades ago.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 PM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I grew up working at a mom & pop tire shop that my parents owned. I was their little grease monkey. Plugs were considered temporary and patches were more of a permanent fix. Unless you track your car, a good patch job will last life of the tire. That was a few decades ago.
@luv2sleep Thanks! My thoughts exactly. Not going to track the car..... at least not in the near future. I'm hoping the plug and patch does works til it's time to replace all 3 tires.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:12 PM
davashcow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire has to come off your pretty wheel for a patch. Not the case for a plug. I feel that there is more risk of wheel damage from a typical “tire guy”, than there is of a plug being ejected. I’ve never had one of the dozens of plugs I’ve installed even leak, much less fail.

If the hole is close to the sidewalk, it doesn’t matter anyway. Time to replace.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davashcow
Tire has to come off your pretty wheel for a patch. Not the case for a plug. I feel that there is more risk of wheel damage from a typical “tire guy”, than there is of a plug being ejected. I’ve never had one of the dozens of plugs I’ve installed even leak, much less fail.

If the hole is close to the sidewalk, it doesn’t matter anyway. Time to replace.
interesting point I haven't had a plug go bad either in all my years. Maybe it's just my paranoia with this particular car..... let me contemplate plug only. Might lower my anxiety level.... thanks
Old 12-04-2018, 07:34 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't be concerned about someone damaging your expensive wheel from tire removal. Most, if not all, tire shops and high end car shops have a touchless tire changer(s). Even during my time working for my old man, which was a few decades ago, I've never damaged a wheel/rim swapping out tires and I was just a young teenager punk back then.
In regards to plugs, I've never seen a plug come out but I've seen a few that leaked after sometime. Again, that was decades ago and technology has come a long way since then. From my limited experience with this stuff, I highly recommend the "patch plug". It's basically a plug and patch in one. The tire does still need to come off the wheel.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 PM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I wouldn't be concerned about someone damaging your expensive wheel from tire removal. Most, if not all, tire shops and high end car shops have a touchless tire changer(s). Even during my time working for my old man, which was a few decades ago, I've never damaged a wheel/rim swapping out tires and I was just a young teenager punk back then.
In regards to plugs, I've never seen a plug come out but I've seen a few that leaked after sometime. Again, that was decades ago and technology has come a long way since then. From my limited experience with this stuff, I highly recommend the "patch plug". It's basically a plug and patch in one. The tire does still need to come off the wheel.
@luv2sleep Thanks for this tidbit of info... haven't heard of the "patch plug" so I'll make sure to ask if they perform that sort of flat repair. I think this is the way to go. No damage to the wheel and extremely low probability for failure.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eddiesudz
@luv2sleep Thanks for this tidbit of info... haven't heard of the "patch plug" so I'll make sure to ask if they perform that sort of flat repair. I think this is the way to go. No damage to the wheel and extremely low probability for failure.
Glad I can be of help.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 AM
eddiesudz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

Give these folks a call. They’ve been in business since the 70s and are located in Anaheim off La Palma. They are open M-F only.
http://haydonbros.com/
Well I finally found time to get the tire patched. Took it to Haydon Bros. as Sidvicious7 had suggested. What a fantastic shop! The shop is extremely clean and organized. Lots of great P cars being worked on.

They had a high tech hunter machine that handled the tire process without touching the wheel. The tire was successfully patched and I was on the road within an hour.

I'll be taking my car here for service moving forward.

Thanks to Sidvicious7 and others who provided info. Much appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat repair Orange County