Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
We booked the one-way plane tickets so this is happening!

Like I said though, if it goes super bad for the first 3-4 hours of driving the wife and kids will fly home from Portland.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome, rough plan is something like:

- Fly to Seattle, visit friends
- Ferry to Victoria for mini-vacation
- Ferry back to Seattle, pickup car
- Visit other friends in Seattle (and do laundry at their house!)
- Drive to Portland, stay overnight
- Drive to Crescent City, stay overnight
- Drive to Fort Bragg, stay overnight
- Drive to Mendicino, stay overnight
- Drive home
Glad I was able to help with the test fit. Great meeting you and hope to see your car in person when it arrives in the Bay.

Above sounds like an awesome plan, ~800 miles is definitely doable and will be a fun memory for the fam! If the trip seems to be getting long you can do Fort Bragg -> home can be done in one stretch.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:32 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

We booked the one-way plane tickets so this is happening!

Like I said though, if it goes super bad for the first 3-4 hours of driving the wife and kids will fly home from Portland.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome, rough plan is something like:

- Fly to Seattle, visit friends
- Ferry to Victoria for mini-vacation
- Ferry back to Seattle, pickup car
- Visit other friends in Seattle (and do laundry at their house!)
- Drive to Portland, stay overnight
- Drive to Crescent City, stay overnight
- Drive to Fort Bragg, stay overnight
- Drive to Mendicino, stay overnight
- Drive home
Good call - You will have a great time and I hope the wife and kids as well!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Humm...only thing lacking in the plan are "yack" bags...kids in the back seat while daddy loses himself on a set of twisties. Yeah, might want to bring a few yack bags just in case

#justsaying.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:56 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Humm...only thing lacking in the plan are "yack" bags...kids in the back seat while daddy loses himself on a set of twisties. Yeah, might want to bring a few yack bags just in case

#justsaying.
Good point. I always carry 1gallon ziplock bags for that purpose.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Have fun! Sounds like a great family adventure.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM
raaizin
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

You can always Fedex/UPS your luggage 2 day air. I work at an airport and see this done all the time
Old 12-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you may end up wanting to drive further than you have planned for each day!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:03 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

bump for update
Old 12-11-2018, 06:03 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

No real update yet, the trip will start after the holidays with car pickup on Jan 1 (approx.) but thank you for checking in!

I'm debating just documenting on this thread or doing a YouTube channel of vlogs...thoughts? opinions? I don't know if I could make the videos interesting enough though.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:30 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Getting ready to fly up to Seattle tomorrow, we'll have a couple of days to hang out around the city with the kids and then pick up the car! We're all super excited about the adventure!!

Somehow, we managed to pack everything into 2 carry-on bags (the ones I test fit into the 991 locally) plus a couple of backpacks. Hopefully we'll be OK. Thanks for the recommendations on the small travel pillows, we brought 2 camping ones.

The real dilemma is shoes, which take up way too much space. But we're going to encounter rain and maybe snow so it's a tough trade off. My kids shoes are small, so we jammed them in the luggage and they'll wear their winter boots on the plane. Wife is going boots only. I think I'm going to risk it with sneakers (more comfortable, plus I want to go to the gym at the hotels if possible.) Hopefully I don't regret that decision.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:43 AM
ScreaminBejesus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is my suggestion: Drive up together in your family car and return in two cars, letting the kids take turns riding with you in the Porsche. When I was ten years old, our family did this from Huntsville to Seattle — my siblings taking turns with my Dad in his 914 and me stuck for the whole trip with my Mom in her Cutlass Supreme. Almost fifty years later and both my brother and sister cherish the memories of that little car.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

I've been a Porsche fan for a long time, but never really thought I'd own one. Well folks, hard work and dedication do pay off sometimes and I'm stoked that I just finished doing a deal on this car:
https://www.nweuro.com/2012-porsche-carrera-s/

(BTW the owner of Northwest European has been absolutely awesome to deal with)

It took me awhile to realize that the 991S was what I wanted in my life. I looked at 993s, 997s, and even pre-1973 air cooled 911s. But all of those would have been "occasional" cars for me. I really wanted something I could drive and enjoy every day, which includes days when I need to pick my kids up from school or sit in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway. So, I started looking for 991s.

I'd been looking off and on casually for a year or more, but only got really serious in the last couple months. I made offers on a couple of cars and either moved too slowly or offered too little and missed them. Then I made a what I thought was a lowball offer on a dark blue 991.1S in PA last week and to my surprise they accepted it. Immediately the same day, I find the white car linked above and absolutely fell in love. So I called the guy right away and found out a bit more about the car. By the end of the day, we had a price agreed on the white car and I was stoked. I called the dealer in PA back to apologize profusely and they were extremely kind.

Ok, so that's the background. I don't have the car yet and am planning a mini trip up to Seattle (from the SF Bay Area) to get it.

And I'm bring my wife...and my two kids. Am I nuts? Probably!

The plan is to fly up, hang out for a couple days in Seattle and Victoria BC (I won't take the 911 to Canada as I don't want to risk it on temporary paperwork), then do a road trip back to the Bay Area with all 4 of us in the 911. The kids are small (age 9 and 6) and have done about 200 miles (in one go) in a 991 that I rented on Turo.

My thinking is that this will be an experience we'll all remember forever. Heck, maybe my kids will eventually tell their own kids about "that time when crazy grandpa bought a 911 and we all drove back in it."

My biggest concerns with the roadtrip are:
  • Weather - Encountering snow in any of the mountain passes on the way back to San Francisco (we might have to take the coast? longer but nicer)
  • Time in car - Will we drive each other nuts in such a small car for such a long time?
  • Luggage - We're going to have to pack really light, which is hard in the winter. I'm going to test-fit luggage in my friend's 991 before we fly up.
  • Extra parts - The car has an extra front splitter, and some other stuff with it. I guess I'm just going to have to ship those down to my home.
Anything else I should be thinking about? Have any of you doing anything similar? I'm sure this will put some wear and tear on the car but honestly I believe enjoying a car comes from driving it.

For the record, I was planning to drive the Pennsylvania car home too, but probably without the wife and kids.

I've done some long stints in sporty cars in the past in fact just a couple months ago I did a 3-day 1000 mile rally in my Lotus Elise, which has the creature comforts of a plank of wood. But I didn't have any other victims in the car to torture with that experience.

PS. Looking forward to getting to know the rennlist community!
Vincenzo, excellent car! And, as you know, I'm the one that picked up the dark blue metallic you mention in paragraph 4. Thrilled with the car, thanks for the referral!!

Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 PM
vincenz0
Racer

It looks great and I really like those wheels!

Pumped to pick up mine in 2 days, we're here in Seattle being tourists. Flew up with the family, driving back in the Porsche. As mentioned earlier, if it absolutely sucks for the kids in the back they'll fly home with my wife from Portland. But they're pretty excited about the road trip so hopefully it'll go smoothly.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:14 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow , you lucked out with the weather.
Nice to start out with no rain.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I think that was the one dry day we had and pretty mild. Then it rained.....for days...... Today was OK too, but a bit chillier. But to get even one day is very lucky! Our kids were up visiting from the Sacramento area. My daughter, who grew up here, liked the rain, but at visit's end I think she and here husband were ready to get back to less rain, milder temps, and more sun. Honestly I don't blame them. I was a big jealous

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?