Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:31 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
How long will the drive be? I do road trips often with my wife and five year old daughter. Wife enjoys the front seat and daughter has a fun time too, but if the drive gets long and the kids need to take a nap, the backseats get uncomfortable. Maybe pack some neck pillows or just pillows they can lean their heads on. I think the biggest issue will be the kid sitting behind you. If you are a tall person and need to scoot the seat back, that kid is not going to have fun. My wife scoots her seat way forward so our kid can have some leg room. Hope it works out. In terms of luggage space, think smaller duffle bags than larger carry ons. There is actually a lot of space in the 911 behind the backseat and such but you need to have your luggage fit the space.
I'm only about 5'9" tall so will put my daughter (age 6) behind me and my son (age 9) behind my wife's seat.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I have dogs (not kids) and the thought of being in that small space with 3 other people for a long trip freaks me out. summer tires on these cars is no bueno below 50. Have ppf done prior to highway usage if paint chips freak you out. the paint on these cars is paper thin (3 mil in some places). Congrats on the ride !!!
Luckily the car does already have a PPF on the front. The summer tires will be interesting through the mountain passes though!
Old 12-01-2018, 03:45 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Great color combo + wheels.

If the 4 of you want to try sitting in a 911, I'd be happy to come over and have you guys try out what it feels like before committing to a long trip. You can also see if your bags fit. I'm in the same city as you, closer to the airport - Feel free to PM me if interested. The Porsche dealer is close to us so perhaps you've already got a good feel for the interior by seeing one of the lot cars.

I also purchased my C4 about a year ago, and did a cross country trip (but with just my wife) and it was amazing.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:58 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Originally Posted by shake1
Congrats on the purchase! Great color combo + wheels.

If the 4 of you want to try sitting in a 911, I'd be happy to come over and have you guys try out what it feels like before committing to a long trip. You can also see if your bags fit. I'm in the same city as you, closer to the airport - Feel free to PM me if interested. The Porsche dealer is close to us so perhaps you've already got a good feel for the interior by seeing one of the lot cars.

I also purchased my C4 about a year ago, and did a cross country trip (but with just my wife) and it was amazing.
Wow that's super generous of you. Yes, I'll send you a PM to arrange it! I'm close to Burlingame Avenue.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Rohan V
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car. I'm from the bay area as well, used to live in Burlingame. I think it would be a tight fit for the kids but definitely an experience they will never forget, I say go for it!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

It seems to me to be the perfect time to take the coastal route and enjoy the drive home rather than take a 14+ hour slog straight down the interstate. I avoided interstate about 90% of the way home on my prior car's drive home (1400 miles) and found it to be a lot more fun. Of course, it helped that I had the Colorado Rockies to drive through. That added many hours and miles but they were some of the best I've ever had in car.

If the family decides not to go here's an idea we did that will make them at least feel more involved. On my journey home I decided not to set a rigid schedule each day so I could pick routes and timing based upon the weather. my mood, and how tired I was. From home, my wife (in your case wife&kids), would keep an eye on my position using Find My Friends on our iPhones. We'd talk on the phone occasionally to see how my intentions each day were shaping up. She would then check the internet for interesting stops along my path, including looking ahead for hotels and interesting eating places. Late in the day, once we had a read on things, she'd book my hotel for the night somewhere up the road. A plus of all that was I didn't have any pressure to make a long drive if I didn't want to each day and it allowed me to spend a little more time up a handful of interesting side roads and enjoy the car and places I might not see again for a long time a little better. The point being was it seemed she really enjoyed helping out but didn't have to endure either my aggressive driving I was doing to learn the car (at the right times) or the long-duration seat time that she doesn't general enjoy.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:33 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
...How much can fit in the front trunk? 1 carry-on + a duffle? 2 carry-ons?
2 carry on’s fit perfectly in the frunk. (At least, in my 991.2) But, that’s about it.

The passes in Southern Oregon will be a little dicey. 40 degrees and below is not so great on summer tires.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:41 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Go for it, sounds like a fun trip. If they don't like it, just drop them off in Portland and let them fly home.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The back seat is going to be rough for the kids, so bring seat pillows for them. Make sure the seat belts are well fasten, drive carefully & have fun!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Do your kids get sick on windy roads? Mine do and that is not a great combination. Last 4 hour trip with my 6 year old and 11 year was rough. I drive a 997.2 so I have less room than a 991. I drove mine home from California to Texas, 1700 miles. It was great. Wish I would have brought the wife. Not the kids though. Depends on if your kids need constant distractions or not. Either way break it up over a couple days and go the scenic route. Enjoy the ride and the new ride.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats on your CS, it's gorgeous! You are going to regret it if you decided against the trip.
As for your questions, the car is absolutely capable of a trip in pretty any weather conditions, but take my advice and have the dealer installed all season tires before yo even drive out of the lot. Summer tires are no good anywhere below 45 degrees. At 50 they are already quite stiff.
Time in car may or may not be an issue depending on how much your wife and kids will be engaged in the adventure. Keep in mind that if you take 101/Hwy1 coastal route it's going to be about 2x longer, so plan accordingly.
Luggage space is very limited and for 2 adults and 2 kids would require real lite packing, however, should not be an issue, if you are for it.
Parts - definitely ship all the parts along with your summer tires to your home address.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I would encourage you to go either on your own (can be a great way to clear your head and one of my favorite "vacations" I can take) or just with your wife. Take your time and enjoy stopping by scenic spots along the coast to soak it all in and for pics with your new car. The back seats can handle the kids for a run to the grocery store or dropping off to school, but for a long road trip IMO it's just not a comfortable place to be. Especially if you and your wife are not especially tiny to where the seatbacks will be close to them.... just my 2 cents.

Oh and congrats on an awesome spec and car, 991.1 is a great great car especially with the 3.8 liter
Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Luckily the car does already have a PPF on the front. The summer tires will be interesting through the mountain passes though!
I’d be willing to bet that the previous owner of your car is, or has been on this website. The Musicar tweeter upgrade is a dead giveaway.

Those back seats are hard, and the car isn’t quiet. In fact it’s fairly loud. Headphones, iPads and at least two overnights may be required. But only you (and your wife) know your kids.

I’d leave the kids, take the wife. And the cannolis. Nice car. Congratulations

Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I would make sure your wife is OK with sitting in a 911 that long. The last time my wife sat in my 911 was over a 1 1/2 yr ago after I purchased it - just too loud and too harsh a ride for her. The kids will be OK as long as they have some iPads and/or some kids' Benadryl.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:25 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

How much can fit in the front trunk? 1 carry-on + a duffle? 2 carry-ons?
I try to avoid carry on luggage bags. They just end up taking unnecessary space. I carry about two full Costco sized type bags with room to spare. It’s not the prettiest of luggage equipment but those types are very flexible and can mold into the frunk.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?