Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you near Pacific, MO that can check out a car ASAP?

Old 11-30-2018, 01:57 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Carfax is clean.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

The car is listed for sale via the Carfax web site. The seller claims he is a Carfax Advantage Dealer. I can't really find out what that is. I tried calling Carfax to verify. They have no phone numbers at all for retail users of Carfax. I called their dealer access phone number. The Carfax person was useless. I asked her how one could verify a dealer, and she had no idea. I asked if Carfax has any consumer protections. Again, she had no idea. She said I needed to submit my questions via Carfax's website.

They don't even seem to have any way to report fraudulent listings on their website, as far as I can tell.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

A thought..... could it be a flood car that was repaired and not reported as damaged? That would explain thing like the belts.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

The Pictures also have Burmester Audio and Model designation on the car whereas the Vinanalytics do not show sound system and list model designation deletion. Definitely not the car in the pictures -
Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the name of the files for the car photos, you'll see that the pics are from a car with a different VIN.

WP0AB2A94CS121291
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by thejazzman
If you look at the name of the files for the car photos, you'll see that the pics are from a car with a different VIN.

WP0AB2A94CS121291
Nice catch, Jazzman! Now this looks more like it ... https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A94CS121291/ ... although still needs due diligence.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Hmmm... interesting... I guess a scam...
Old 11-30-2018, 01:16 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Hmmm... interesting... I guess a scam...
At least suspicious - maybe they just used "stock" pictures. Anybosy in the ST. Louis area know anything about this dealership? They have multiple P cars listed.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:32 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by thejazzman

WP0AB2A94CS121291
Excellent sleuthing! One of the reasons I love RL.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Did Niez ever look at the car and get back to you??
Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

The guy won't call Niez back to allow him to see the car. Total scam.

The "seller" got all snippy when I politely asked for add'l info. Here's the emails (his name is Mazzuca, per my research, but he claims it is Mike).

Email chain (after my initial phone call with him::

Him:
As we agreed on the phone you will put down, as a down payment, $30,000 and the balance of $22,500 will be financed. For such a great down payment we have a very good offer and I'm sure you will love it.In the price we can include : free delivery to your location with our own moving trucks,all the documentation fees,30 days temporally tags,more we will offer a 7 days inspection period with fully refund policy. I mean from the moment you will have the car at your door ,you will have 7 days to test drive it,inspect it and if you find something wrong you can send it back at our expense and you will be fully refunded.I'm sure that will not be our case as the car is gorgeous, accident free and clear title in hand.If you decide to move forward I will need a copy of your driver license so I can start filling the documents.
Note: Of course, all of that immediately raised all of my "scam alert" sensors, but I figured worth checking out further..

My reply:
Thank you. I am very much interested in this car. A quick question: An internet search shows the business as “Permanently closed” (see below). I just want to make sure I am dealing with a legitimate seller. Thanks!,Mike

His reply:
First of all I want to let you know that we are a Carfax Advantage Dealer and we are also Powered by AutoTrader.We closed our business for a while as we changed our profile by selling only luxury and classic cars.That is why you saw permanently closed.For your own peace of mind I attached a copy of our business license that you can check it with DMV and see that everything is accurate. Hope this is enough for you to trust our dealership and deal with us.
Me:
OK. Is the car at the W. Osage site where he can at least see it on Saturday, even if he can’t drive it? Of course, you need to verify that I am a legitimate buyer, but since I am long distance it makes things a bit harder for me to verify that the car is legitimate, that you have title to it, etc. I hope you understand that I am not trying to be difficult, just doing my homework to make sure all goes smoothly.Thanks!Mike
Him:
Monday to Friday from 9AM to 6PM at our address that you have it in this email,our website,carfax,autotrader and dealer license by appointment .Anyway I don't think we can have a deal as you keep talking about legitimate dealer,buyer,vehicle even if you have all our sensitive info that can be checked everywhere ,more you have our dealer license that can be "verified" at the DMV,the only Governmental Institution that can prove the legality of a dealer. So I will be honest with you,if we can't have a deal tomorrow by having someone from your side at our location or a wire transfer to our account,let's stop wasting our time now.
What a jerk. Clearly, he realized that I was checking him out and he knew his scam would be uncovered. Thanks for your help on this one guys, much appreciated! Back to my hunt for a 991.

Last edited by Cuda911; 11-30-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:55 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

When you see a crazy stupid low price like that it screams scam.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The car in the photos looks like it's in Europe. The photo edit to mask the license plates match the wider profile of Euro plates, and the temperatures shown on the climate controls are in Celsius.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Scammer revealed with and a happy ending!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:30 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a common scam for dealers to take the name of an old dealership, create a new website in that name, and run a bunch of high-end cars for sale. The location alone is suspicious. I saw some listings for P-cars and a couple of Italian exotics in a town 40 miles away from where I grew up. That school was in our league: a mill town of 4,000 people with a few dairy farms and cranberry bogs around (we had 2 mills and more lumber production, but no farms. Same socio-economic situation though with a graduating class of 60, and perhaps 12 making it to college). I wouldn't be surprised if people in that town had never laid eyes on a Porsche. I certainly had never seen one in real life until I was about 15 years old. Pipe fitters and lumberjacks don't drive P-cars.

It was so obviously a scam that it was laughable. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would look at that town on the map and say "wow, 4,000 person ex-mill town (with the mill having closed 25 years ago) town, average per-capita income of $27,000 and not a single job available that pays over $30k a year. Total hotbed for exotic car ownership!".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any of you near Pacific, MO that can check out a car ASAP?